Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/15/2018, 01:58 PM   #1
WGT1014
Registered Member

Nitrate/Phosphate Issue

I have a 75 gallon tank that's been up for 5 years. Due to "life", for about 1.5 years I did nothing but feed and top off. Then maybe 4 months ago I got back into the tank again. I had a big algae/diatom issue. I bought all new test kits. I use Red Sea Pro for nitrate and phosphate. Now, here's my issue. Admittedly, I'm not that good with color charts but the phosphate has always shown to be .12 and initially nitrate was over 64. How much over? Don't know as the chart I have with the kit only goes to 64. Anyway, for the past 4 months, I've been doing 20 gallon water changes every week. I run carbon in a reactor as well as Rowaphos. Phosphate is STILL at .12 and maybe 1 month ago nitrate was at 16 but won't go any lower even tho I'm still doing the 20 gallon water change. Maybe I got a bad phosphate kit, which would explain why it never changes but what about the nitrate? I saw a definite change then it stalled.
I feed 1 cube of frozen Omega One, 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night plus I put in about 1/4 sheet of Nutramar Nori every couple of days.
My big question, after all that, is why hasn't the nitrate dropped below 16? Any suggestions will be appreciated...

WGT1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 02:52 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Sounds normal...
Besides water changes you havent listed any changes that would reducd them..

Got sps corals? If not your levels are just fine assuming you arent having nuisance algae issues

Unread 07/15/2018, 03:09 PM   #3
WGT1014
Registered Member

I don't have any sps corals...I don't get how it's normal. Maybe nitrate at 16 is ok but why hasn't it been lowered because of water changes? Which was my big question. I test right before and right after I do a water change. 16 is as low as it gets. I cant believe the test kit faulty ONLY at that level. That makes no sense to me

Unread 07/15/2018, 04:01 PM   #4
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGT1014 View Post
I don't have any sps corals...I don't get how it's normal. Maybe nitrate at 16 is ok but why hasn't it been lowered because of water changes? Which was my big question. I test right before and right after I do a water change. 16 is as low as it gets. I cant believe the test kit faulty ONLY at that level. That makes no sense to me
research "carbon dosing".....

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 04:31 PM   #5
WGT1014
Registered Member

i have but I still don't have an answer to my question...WHY did nitrates stall at 16? It's not a big deal...forget I asked

Unread 07/15/2018, 05:58 PM   #6
Alfrareef
Registered Member

Let me try explain it in a simple way.
For nitrate reduction you’ll need more bacteria. With carbon dosing you’ll give more food to the bacteria colonies thus increasing the bacteria number and they shall consume the nitrates.

I use Red Sea NOPOX for Nitrate reduction/maintenance.

Alfrareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 06:08 PM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
i have but I still don't have an answer to my question...WHY did nitrates stall at 16? It's not a big deal...forget I asked
Carbon dosing ( not running carbon) with either NOPox, vodka, or vinegar ( or a mix) can be done on a daily basis to slowly increase denitrifying bacteria counts and thus reduce Nitrates. 16 is not high at all, but minor consistent dosing can bring it down to say 5ppm, which is far as I go because I don't want to starve my corals.

Phosphate tests are tough to call unless you use the Hanna phosforous model. You kinda got to estimate the weakness of the colour in mist cheap kits, I use ROWA and it works great but Max's out at .05, best I can do, again you want some trace phosphates if you keep corals

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 07:56 AM   #8
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
WHY did nitrates stall at 16?
The twenty gallon water changes (about 27% in your case) worked well to drop you nitrates when the nitrate concentration was 60+ppm. 64 - (0.27*64) = 46.7 ppm.

As you've dropped the concentration down to 16, the 20 gallon water changes will now only drop the concentration by 4ppm.

My guess is that your tank "produces" a couple ppm a week, and your water changes knock them back a couple ppm, and you can't measure the small difference.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 08:06 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Its likely just math...

A 20% water change will lower nitrates 20%..
When nitrates are high 20% equals more of a drop.. As nitrate levels get lower 20% isn't much anymore..

100ppm and remove 20% = reduces nitrates 20ppm
16ppm and remove 205 reduces nitrates 3.2ppm

In the time between water changes your nitrate level is increasing a few ppm as input is greater than output..

Last edited by mcgyvr; 07/16/2018 at 08:12 AM.
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 08:09 AM   #10
nereefpat
Registered Member

Great minds, mcgyvr

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
Unread 07/16/2018, 09:18 AM   #11
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Great minds, mcgyvr
Dang skippy...

I walked away from my computer mid reply hence the 10 minute difference..
Had to go find the drill for someone

Unread 07/16/2018, 10:22 AM   #12
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Dang skippy...

I walked away from my computer mid reply hence the 10 minute difference..
Had to go find the drill for someone
I figured. I do that all the time...office hours and whatnot.

Unread 07/16/2018, 01:20 PM   #13
Alfrareef
Registered Member

@WHT1014 your doubts went away?

Alfrareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 06:22 PM   #14
WGT1014
Registered Member

No my doubts did not go away...my question was STILL not answered...let me try this...Saturday at 10 am I did a nitrate test. It showed 16... IMMEDIATELY after I did a 20 gallon water change which, BTW is NOT 20% of 75 gallons....at 10:30am, same day, IMMEDIATELY after that WC I checked nitrate again and it was STILL 16...Like I said earlier, not a big deal, forget I asked...

Unread 07/16/2018, 06:37 PM   #15
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Just trying to help!

Unread 07/16/2018, 06:42 PM   #16
mozelsa
Registered Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mozelsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 06:45 PM   #17
WGT1014
Registered Member

Uncle99, I get that you are trying to help but here's the thing...I'm not asking how to lower my nitrates, as I've said several times, I'm just trying to figure out why water changes are not affecting my nitrate levels at 16...even the "math" that got mentioned didn't help...I get the math and I'm very good at math but STILL I don't have a viable answer to my question which is ok...if no one knows, as I've said already, not a big deal, forget I asked...I'll figure it out sooner or later...

Unread 07/16/2018, 07:19 PM   #18
lapin
Registered Member

Red Sea’s Nitrate Pro Reef Test Kit is an advanced colorimetric test with comparator, measuring the level of nitrate in your reef aquarium to an exceptionally high accuracy of 0.12ppm NO3. . Im stumped, as long as the test is being done correctly. At 16 with even a 10% water change should show a reduction. My only thought would be to test the water you are using to do the water change.
Hope this is of some help.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 07:31 PM   #19
WGT1014
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapin View Post
Red Sea’s Nitrate Pro Reef Test Kit is an advanced colorimetric test with comparator, measuring the level of nitrate in your reef aquarium to an exceptionally high accuracy of 0.12ppm NO3. . Im stumped, as long as the test is being done correctly. At 16 with even a 10% water change should show a reduction. My only thought would be to test the water you are using to do the water change.
Hope this is of some help.
Hmmm, ya know maybe this is helpful. I never actually thought about testing my WC water...Thank you...I will try this...

Unread 07/16/2018, 08:29 PM   #20
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Uncle99, I get that you are trying to help but here's the thing...I'm not asking how to lower my nitrates, as I've said several times, I'm just trying to figure out why water changes are not affecting my nitrate levels at 16...even the "math" that got mentioned didn't help...I get the math and I'm very good at math but STILL I don't have a viable answer to my question which is ok...if no one knows, as I've said already, not a big deal, forget I asked...I'll figure it out sooner or later...
I hear you, some things in this hobby can be very frustrating.
Iam sorry, I misread your post,

I don't measure to that degree of accuracy, if it 5ppm (that's ok) if it's 10 (I am somewhat concerned) when it goes to 15 (I up the carbon dose 1ml) and in one week, back to 5ppm, or maybe that's 4 or 3ppm, I find all hobby grade tests inaccurate, but on my case, only need to be on the ballpark....

Unread 07/16/2018, 09:09 PM   #21
WGT1014
Registered Member

Quote:
The twenty gallon water changes (about 27% in your case) worked well to drop you nitrates when the nitrate concentration was 60+ppm. 64 - (0.27*64) = 46.7 ppm.

As you've dropped the concentration down to 16, the 20 gallon water changes will now only drop the concentration by 4ppm.

My guess is that your tank "produces" a couple ppm a week, and your water changes knock them back a couple ppm, and you can't measure the small difference.
ok, then by your "math", my nitrates should go from 16 to 12 with a 20 gallon water change. then why is it that after a month of being at 16 and still doing 20 gallon water changes weekly, I'm still at 16? What my tank "produces" does not matter here because as I said a few posts back, I check nitrate before and after the water changes...it's not user error as it's always the same color...If I'm reading it wrong, so be it BUT with each water change the color should get lighter and it's not...

Unread 07/16/2018, 09:12 PM   #22
WGT1014
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfrareef View Post
Let me try explain it in a simple way.
For nitrate reduction you’ll need more bacteria. With carbon dosing you’ll give more food to the bacteria colonies thus increasing the bacteria number and they shall consume the nitrates.

I use Red Sea NOPOX for Nitrate reduction/maintenance.
Your "simple way" was pointless...I already knew that. Thanks for NOT answering the question I asked...

Unread 07/16/2018, 09:13 PM   #23
WGT1014
Registered Member

Quote:
Great minds, mcgyvr
Yep and you were both wrong...grats!

Unread 07/16/2018, 09:16 PM   #24
WGT1014
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozelsa View Post
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too bad I can't see this comment...was probably AMAZING and answered all my questions!

Unread 07/16/2018, 09:22 PM   #25
WGT1014
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
I hear you, some things in this hobby can be very frustrating.
Iam sorry, I misread your post,

I don't measure to that degree of accuracy, if it 5ppm (that's ok) if it's 10 (I am somewhat concerned) when it goes to 15 (I up the carbon dose 1ml) and in one week, back to 5ppm, or maybe that's 4 or 3ppm, I find all hobby grade tests inaccurate, but on my case, only need to be on the ballpark....
It's not a big deal Uncle99...the most frustrating part, to me, is when you ask a question and people just give answers that really have nothing to do with the actual question...but, it's like that on every forum I suppose...meh...