Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/07/2009, 08:54 AM   #51
aquainas
Registered Member

I am also playing with the idea of installing a very small window unit in the tank area so it's not dependent on me running my 1st floor thermostat at a specific temp. This would allow me to isolate the cooling source 100%, I would have to figure out where to run the drain hose. It would have been easy if there were a drain pipe for the tank that I could tie into but there isn't one since water change water will be carried via hose to a sewer drain once a week.

I still need to determine where I will setup my RO/DI and mixing station...

Current Tank Info: In-wall 240 Main display|MSX300|MP40W's|Radiums|Ecoxotic|Apex|Constant water change via LiterMeter III R.I.P
aquainas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2009, 09:06 AM   #52
paulthomas
Premium Member

I'm in the same boat. I picked up one of those GE room ACs to keep by my sump. I'm going to vent to a nearby basement window. I'll likely run the drain to my slop sink.

paulthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2009, 05:33 PM   #53
aquainas
Registered Member

We should compare notes.

Current Tank Info: In-wall 240 Main display|MSX300|MP40W's|Radiums|Ecoxotic|Apex|Constant water change via LiterMeter III R.I.P
Unread 08/12/2009, 03:34 PM   #54
aquainas
Registered Member

Ok so things got really busy at work and I haven't been able to update much, so I will fill you guys in on what's been taking place.

I decided on just going with a small ac unit with a built-in de-humidfier for simplicity and isolation from the ac of the house, I still need to determine where I will route the drain.

There was also an issue with the tank bracing that bothered me from the start, the bracing that was installed was positioned on either side of the overflow and caused a bit of a shadow with my halide suspended over it, here is a top down shot of the tank:

What I ended up doing was removing the plastic trim along with the center braces to install common euro-bracing which allows me to place the pendants over the tank at spacing that does not cause them to sit over any braces. I will post pics when it is completed.

My buddy who is a construction superintendent finally freed up his calendar enough to come by last night and scope the entire project out "Piece of cake" he said So the plan for this weekend is to get the opening framed out the walls framed and dry-walled and the stand built. We are also gonna be pulling 12-3 romex to supply (2) 20amp outlets one at the top of the wall and one at the bottom. My lights will be plugged into the top circuit and the rest of the equipment like pumps etc will utilize the bottom.

Looks like I'll be missing the monthly FRAG meet!

Unread 08/12/2009, 03:49 PM   #55
serenity
Registered Member

about time you update us

Unread 08/12/2009, 04:05 PM   #56
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by serenity
about time you update us
Yeah tell about it, how's your build coming?

Unread 08/13/2009, 01:11 AM   #57
byrdman81
Registered Member

Thanks for the update cant wait to hear more

Current Tank Info: 20 long nano currently working on 40 Breeder
byrdman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2009, 10:29 AM   #58
serenity
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aquainas
Yeah tell about it, how's your build coming?

haha, yeah it is going, I need lighting and finish cooking the rock and some sand and in goes the water .

Look forward to watching your thread grow and split

Unread 08/13/2009, 12:26 PM   #59
aquainas
Registered Member

Well today I go under for a routine dental procedure and will have tomorrow off to recover. My plan is to get all the drywall off the wall and prep for the stud removal, then on Saturday morning the fun will begin

Unread 08/16/2009, 01:00 AM   #60
aquainas
Registered Member

The work begins!

Ok so work began as scheduled and we were able to get a good amount of it done in a few hours. The stand is almost complete and the walls and doors that span the opening will be constructed tomorrow. Now time for the pics

Demo

Kelly getting down

Making progress

Unread 08/16/2009, 01:01 AM   #61
aquainas
Registered Member

And some more....

Evaluating re-routing some unexpected condensation lines

Support for floor above

Making room

Getting the 2 x 10 header in place.

Removed the support and no movement whatsoever

Bottom plate being leveled...What a PITA!!!!!

I will post pics tomorrow of the stand and the rough-in of the walls...woohoo

Unread 08/16/2009, 10:00 AM   #62
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Alrighty then!

All this has a familiar look!

You're past the point of no-return. Good to see the bride lending a hand...

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2009, 12:51 AM   #63
byrdman81
Registered Member

Love to see demolition of houses for the good of sw hobby. Love the progress keep the updates coming.

Current Tank Info: 20 long nano currently working on 40 Breeder
byrdman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2009, 05:08 AM   #64
serenity
Registered Member

Whoo Hooo! Great to see some action! Keep up the work, great to see when the Wife's take interest in our hobby, I am lucky like you are but a lot aren't haha.

Unread 08/17/2009, 09:02 AM   #65
aquainas
Registered Member

Re: Alrighty then!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightsluvr
All this has a familiar look!

You're past the point of no-return. Good to see the bride lending a hand...

LL
We definitely are!!! I figured the right thing to do was to let her have at it while she could, since most of the other tasks were a bit more involved.

Unread 08/17/2009, 09:04 AM   #66
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by byrdman81
Love to see demolition of houses for the good of sw hobby. Love the progress keep the updates coming.
Ron looks like it's your turn to put a hole in the wall...

Unread 08/17/2009, 09:11 AM   #67
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by serenity
Whoo Hooo! Great to see some action! Keep up the work, great to see when the Wife's take interest in our hobby, I am lucky like you are but a lot aren't haha.
Why not? She won't let you poke a tiny hole in the wall?

Gosh it makes it all so much easier when they are in to it, but you end up wheeling and dealing when it comes to what goes into the tank. And you end up having to say numerous times....'No no no honey that's not reef safe." Though I must say she is doing a lot of homework on the different species of fish and coral, and she recognizes and points stuff out at the LFS by name.

Last edited by aquainas; 08/17/2009 at 09:16 AM.
Unread 08/17/2009, 10:33 AM   #68
rolodex1
Registered Member

looking good! Can't wait to see it up and running!

Current Tank Info: 125G SPS, Aqualight Pro 3 X 250w MH 4 X 96w Actinic, 1/3HP, Blue Line 55 & Blue Line 20, Phosban 150, 18w Turbo Twist UV, RS 180, (1) Tunze 6045, MP40W
rolodex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2009, 12:43 PM   #69
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rolodex1
looking good! Can't wait to see it up and running!
Thanks for the kind words...We are very excited as well! It's hard being patient though, but we all know hast makes waste...

Unread 08/17/2009, 12:44 PM   #70
aquainas
Registered Member

As of yesterday we've got the stand pretty much done except for primer, the base where the sump and other equipment will sit has been screwed in. I've got a center brace to install in the middle and was waiting to put the sump in before screwing it in, though I think there's plenty of room. The wall on the left side has been framed in and partially dry walled on the outside and the wall below the tank has been covered with green board.

Three outlets have also been but in; 2 separate 20amp, one on in the ceiling the other on the side wall, and the third is a separate 15amp circuit for the ac unit. I will post pics soon as I get home.

Questions comments?

Unread 08/17/2009, 02:49 PM   #71
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aquainas
Ron looks like it's your turn to put a hole in the wall...
Sorry Kevin!... zonked from a lack of sleep the last couple days.

Unread 08/17/2009, 05:30 PM   #72
Frick
AZ FRAG President

Lookin good. Give me a shout if you still need help with anything. I can help the plumbing go by pertty quick.

Unread 08/17/2009, 07:16 PM   #73
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Frick
Lookin good. Give me a shout if you still need help with anything. I can help the plumbing go by pertty quick.
Ah yes plumbing! Get over here and help me figure out my RO/DI placement/setup.

Unread 08/17/2009, 07:58 PM   #74
aquainas
Registered Member

Update

Ok time for pics!!

Finding a way to make our run to the main panel this will remain an access panel for later

Shot of the panel

Finally got it all ran from the box to the outlets locations!

Another view of things

Unread 08/17/2009, 08:04 PM   #75
aquainas
Registered Member

More pics

Getting insulation back in:

Green board going up!

Where we are now...I will try to finish the side wall drywall tonight.