Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/15/2019, 06:37 AM   #26
Griff500
Registered Member

Enjoying the GHL app and everything is looking good (apart from the PBT being rather unhappy at the moment, so I added a Cleaner Wrasse and he is working hard).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1 (1).jpg (19.4 KB, 75 views)
Griff500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2019, 06:01 PM   #27
Griff500
Registered Member

The tank has been fairly stable as I get to grips with it. The KH Director really is an excellent bit of kit.

I have added a pair of Lineatus Wrasse, a Phantom Blenny (I've wanted another one of these for ages - it was one of the first fish I got but jumped eventually) and a load of cleanup crew. My Clowns have increased by what seems at least a third in size. I also had to add a Cleaner Wrasse as my Powder Blue Tang still hasn't shaken the ich that came back on. He's still eating and fat so I expect him to pull through. It's happened before, although not for a couple of years.

The only problem is that I cannot get Phosphate above 0-0.01 and Nitrate will not go above a maximum of 0.2. I'm using ATI Nutrition CNP and following their guidance and I think it seems to be doing ok.

I added a few coral frags to see how they go but the tank has only been going a short while so we'll see what happens.

Some algae growth but nothing crazy and the snails, urchins and Blenny should keep it under control so I'm going to see how it plays out.

Some pictures, taken under blues... I've got to dig out my proper camera at some point...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1829.jpg (76.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2796.jpg (61.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6629.jpg (42.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6724.jpg (57.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6775.jpg (59.4 KB, 69 views)
Unread 03/24/2019, 06:03 PM   #28
Griff500
Registered Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7561.jpg (63.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7701.jpg (41.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9995.jpg (59.5 KB, 69 views)
Unread 03/25/2019, 02:13 PM   #29
Griff500
Registered Member

The new fish appear to have settled in well. I still love the Yellow Tang that I've had for probably five years now - looks like I took him by surprise! I still cannot get a decent picture of the Lineatus but I am using an iPhone...

It looks like there are some updates for the GHL equipment and apps so I'll need to have my first go at doing that shortly. The app changes look excellent though and it seems you can now add PAB devices (connected to the Profilux via USB cable) all through the app! It's great to see that GHL are providing regular updates and continuously improving things for the current and older products.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3399.jpg (69.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5600.jpg (60.9 KB, 69 views)
Unread 03/31/2019, 04:25 PM   #30
Griff500
Registered Member

I got what appear to be Dinos after Nitrate and Phosphate dropped to zero (I wasn't doing anything aggressive to do this). I've stopped the little bit of GFO that I was running and I've been using Microbacter7. I've added my UV back into the system and popped an Oxydator in that I had laying around. I'm dosing Carbon but only 1ml per day in a net 480l system and I've got 2ml per day of Nitrate and Phosphate going into the system to try and raise them.

I don't want to do a blackout as the corals are quite pale due to the lack of nutrients.

Unread 04/04/2019, 03:48 AM   #31
Griff500
Registered Member

Two tests have come back with copper in the RO and the tank. As it's in the RO it can only be the RO unit or the ATO pump. The RO unit had all new filters and membrane between tests and so I think it was probably the ATO pump, so I've removed that and set up an ATO using the GHL Maxi Doser and programmed using the two-sensor setup (float and optical). It's working great and was very easy to set up. It only needs one pump and the plan will be to remove tank water to keep salinity steady once I am using enough two-part dosing to see increases in salinity (at present the water removed for testing and from the skimmer is sufficient to keep salinity steady).

Nitrate and Phosphate are pretty much zero both in my tests and the ATI ICP tests and that's probably why I have Dinos. I have a feeling that the zoox expelled, probably due to the copper, combined with the low nutrients have created the Dinos situation. I am not dosing Carbon at the moment and I am dosing Nitrate and Phosphate. The levels do not rise despite this. Dinos are not getting worse and might be gradually going - hard to say but certainly not getting worse. There have been no snail deaths so the Dinos would appear to not be the toxic variety, but I am keeping an eye on that.

The Powder Blue Tang is covered in ich but is still quite fat and eating. The other fish are no longer showing any symptoms of ich.

Unread 05/27/2019, 05:39 PM   #32
Griff500
Registered Member

Not sure if anyone's reading this but it turned out not be to ich - I lost my PBT that I'd had for years, both Lineatus, a Cleaner Wrasse and my Diamond Tail Wrasse.

I pulled the remaining fish out and started a QT and CP treatment. That's now completed and no further losses. The tank fallow period ends on 13 July.

Completed the CP treatment with no more fatalities. The fallow period will be completed on 13 July.

I'm ghost feeding the tank occasionally and dosing ATI Nutrition CNP and ATI Essentials, with Kh and appropriate dosing being handled by the KH Director and other GHL equipment. It's doing a great job and I am SO glad that I went with this instead of sticking with the Apex equipment that I had. That reminds me, I must get around to posting my Radions, Apex and Gyres...

I've also got to get around to putting in the flow sensor. I was going to use this to automatically maintain flow rates when changing GFO (and I'd had a custom GFO reactor made by Pacific Sun - their top model but less height to fit in the cabinet nicely). With the excellent live rock and using ATI CNP I've simply got no need for GFO at the moment though. Current levels are N at 1 and P at 0.3 on average. I'd like N a bit higher but it's pretty good.

So I suppose I'll just keep the return simple and put the flow sensor in at some point and see what return flow rate I'm getting compared to what I think I should be getting...

Some corals are showing quite a bit of new growth from the base and good colours. Others have lost a bit of colour - probably due to levels being a bit lower than I'd like and no constant fish poo to help them along - but seem to be coming back and even those were showing some growth.

Overall, it's definitely heading in the right direction.