Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/24/2020, 12:40 PM   #51
vlangel
Registered Member

Sadly I just found Guardian dead on the bottom of the tank. That stinks, I really thought even though it appeared that he had a bacterial thing going on with the gills on the right, he was eating so well that I thought he was going to beat it. Bummer! Down to 13 fish...good thing I am not superstitious!

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, ...and God sawthat it was good. Genesis 1:20 - 21

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon high nutrient macro algae/coral reef that overflows into a basement 30 gallon seahorse macro algae fuge that overflows into a 20 gallon sump
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/24/2020, 04:27 PM   #52
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sorry to hear that. All the other new guys look OK?

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/25/2020, 06:26 AM   #53
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Sorry to hear that. All the other new guys look OK?
Yes, I do not see anything concerning in regards to the other fish. I love yellow watchman gobies and yet something always happens to them in my tank.

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, ...and God sawthat it was good. Genesis 1:20 - 21

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon high nutrient macro algae/coral reef that overflows into a basement 30 gallon seahorse macro algae fuge that overflows into a 20 gallon sump
Old 03/25/2020, 05:25 PM   #54
vlangel
Registered Member

New video featuring new fish!
https://youtu.be/j0IvFsFqEXY

Last edited by vlangel; 03/25/2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03/25/2020, 06:11 PM   #55
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Very nice! Enjoyed the vid. So much to see, with corals and macros. Tank looks great, fish look great.

Old 03/26/2020, 04:57 AM   #56
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Very nice! Enjoyed the vid. So much to see, with corals and macros. Tank looks great, fish look great.
Thank you Michael. I am really pleased with this tank and the direction it has gone. It's pretty dirty in the video and the water gurgling is much exaggerated. It's not silent but more of a gentle gurgle like those little fountains people get for their living rooms. Most of the water noise comes from the gyre since I have it rippling the surface. I much prefer that to it trenching my sanded.

Old 03/26/2020, 05:38 AM   #57
vlangel
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/dsQB8NoCapw

This video is better than the prior one. Although there is still the water noise, I cleaned the glass and captured the fish better.

I need to turn the gyre off when I am doing videos so the loud gurgling does not distract from the tank.

Old 04/02/2020, 08:53 AM   #58
vlangel
Registered Member

This morning I got an ORA aquacultured Hippopus clam with the credit from my fish losses. I feel inverts have a better chance being mailed overnight and I have been wanting another clam ever since I sold my blue crocea.

I placed this 2" clam at the bottom of the tank in the sand with a cup shaped piece of live rock under it. It's my hope that it attaches its byssal thread to the rock and then it can be moved if that is ever necessary. I will video it when it opens and the lights are on.

Old 04/02/2020, 09:21 AM   #59
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Cool. I've never kept a clam. I look forward to hearing your experience. Good luck with it!

Old 04/02/2020, 05:40 PM   #60
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Cool. I've never kept a clam. I look forward to hearing your experience. Good luck with it!
This is only my 2nd clam but I had very good luck with the blue crocea. They are supposedly the most difficult as they have high light needs. HOT5s are pretty effective though and I did keep that clam up higher in the tank. This Hippopus clam needs only medium light and should be on the substrate. I had never heard of Hippopus clams and now that I got one I think I know why: they are not nearly as showy as the other greater clams. It's color is kind of plain and it's mantel does not hang over the shell at all. It was less money and I am ok with it being a little ordinary. It looks and acts healthy and that is what I really care about.

Old 04/02/2020, 09:53 PM   #61
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Come to think of it, I have 2-3 bivalves still living in the live rock, so I guess I have kept clams. Just not the fancy kind. It sounds like the one you have is a less gaudy, sturdier species. And you're adding even more diversity to your community, so it should be a good addition. How about a pic?

Old 04/04/2020, 05:53 PM   #62
vlangel
Registered Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nHgjE1Z9U92njxPb6
Meet Clam-chops!

Old 04/04/2020, 08:44 PM   #63
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Very nice. How big do they get?

Old Yesterday, 04:36 AM   #64
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Very nice. How big do they get?
I was disappointed that he was closed up when I took the pic. He had been opened most of the day. I think they get to be about 6" which is a good size for my relatively small tank. They are a fast growing clam too. I named the blue crocea that I had so I thought I should give this one a name too. So he is Clam-chops!

Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM   #65
vlangel
Registered Member

Here is an open pic of Clam-chops!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zZYWumowUvYjarDc8

Of course Flame has to photo bomb every pic!