Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2018, 01:42 PM   #1
steallife904
Registered Member

Moving so starting over

Going to be moving my tank across town in a few weeks and have decided to start over. I originally kept a lot of SPS and LPS but having a baby and then the process of building a home but a dent on the tank. Lost a lot and then decided to get rid of almost all the coral. I think I have decided to re set it up to be more of an LPS tank this time around, To much went into the SPS stuff I don't think I care to do this time or at least for now. I was wondering though if I should ditch my T5 retro fit kit and stick with only LEDS? I currently have a reefbreeders photon 48 gen 1 and a 60in T5 retro kit. I only ran the t5s for an hour or 2 mid day but wasn't sure if I should keep or ditch for LPS. Tank is 5 ft by 27in I believe. Plan to keep this time around tourch and frog spawns, Acans, Lobo, chalice. If I do sps it would probably be a few birdnest or montis at the top. What do you think?

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 08:34 AM   #2
steallife904
Registered Member

Guess I should ask how many of you are keeping a thriving tank with LPS or mix and only running LEDs and running for awhile? Just cant decide if I want to remove the 2 T5 bulbs or not. I was wrong about my LED as well, its a reef breeders 50 V2. thank you,

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2018, 09:19 PM   #3
lilyost4290
Registered Member

I’ve been running only leds for years. Haven’t noticed any issues keeping lps alive

lilyost4290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2018, 01:07 AM   #4
Dsekula
Registered Member

I Only run LEDs (black boxes not even great ones) tank is 2+ years old and mostly lps, never had issues. I've recently added some SPS frags (about a month or so) testing the water. So far 80% have stayed alive colored up and showed some growth. I added 10 frags and lost two btw. The two I lost rtn'd and we're supposedly a bit harder to keep even according to some of the much more experienced reefers I know so I don't blamb the LEDs. From my experience and my friends' you can grow most coral with decent LEDs, you may not get the same exact growth or rate and the tank may look different visually but since I've only ever used LEDs I have nothing to compair to. Good luck!!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote