Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2018, 09:02 AM   #1
Icewing726
Registered Member

Natural or Dying?

Anenomes been great so far and ate twice, then it went into the live rock and I found it like this when I dug him out this morning. Whats happening? He was very rigid and eating about 2 to 3 days before this, rigid meaning tentacles posed not loose if that makes sense... Not loose as in flowing freely but not so rigid as you couldn't see them move.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15273467984791101182219.jpg (50.0 KB, 147 views)
Icewing726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2018, 09:31 AM   #2
davocean
Registered Member

That's a very unhappy nem, but w/out any info about nem or tank it's kinda hard to say what's up exactly

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2018, 10:33 AM   #3
Icewing726
Registered Member

0 on everything but nitrates at 20

Unread 05/26/2018, 07:07 PM   #4
Icewing726
Registered Member

Well @davocean , I gave you info and you gave me nothing. How many of your 14k posts are asking that question and leaving.

For anyone else that finds this all is well, I imagine it has something to do with him eating and also falling into the rock. 4 hours later he looked like the picture below again.

Maybe someone that cares to share their knowledge will stop by to help shed some light on what I just witnessed. Seriously guys, why post without teaching?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1527383222511721156964.jpg (44.1 KB, 71 views)
Unread 05/26/2018, 07:20 PM   #5
accel
Registered Member

0 on everything doesn't mean it's good. Theoretically it is good but I trust what I see on the tank first than what I see on the test kits. If I see the tank is doing great and the tests shows good results then I trust the test results. But if something is off on the tank visually, I will doubt my tests (probably I did the tests incorrectly or I did not test enough or I am testing the wrong parameters etc).

All I can tell if he fell on that rock that means he moved and that means he doesn't like his original spot. Let's assume the tests are all good. My next question is do you have the right amount of light? Do you have the right amount of bacteria? Is there a pest that attacked the anemone? Is your flow the flow that your anemone would like? Did it ate something not good?

accel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2018, 07:24 PM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

Sorry dude, it's saturday, my day off, I went for a long bike ride, then grocery shopping, you see, some of us have lives away from the keyboard...

0 btw tells me nothing, in fact that is one short list of tank and nem specifics, I know nothing about the nem or your tank really.

And what the heck does my post count have to do w/ any of this?

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 05/26/2018, 08:42 PM   #7
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewing726 View Post
Well @davocean , I gave you info and you gave me nothing. How many of your 14k posts are asking that question and leaving.
When you say crap like that everyone will ignore you.

Unread 05/26/2018, 08:45 PM   #8
Icewing726
Registered Member

So the simple question was what behavior am I witnessing. An example answer is stomach blowout which could be caused by x number of situations. Please provide details on what happened over y days.

Yet the bot worthy answer provided 75% of the time is without parameters no advice can be given with 0 follow-up.

People ask out of ignorance hoping for help and this is a huge pet peeve of mine because I rarely see the one asking for details ever coming back. Its the equivalent of saying "FIRST" on a news articles comment section.

Anyway, this is a long tentacle anemone and his neighbor has taken to walking the same back and forth path on the other end of the tank but looks healthy otherwise (he wasn't attached when I got him) I think if anything I have too much light because the larger one half way hangs out in the day and walks out at night. This one started where the other one did but is now on the sand looking the same as when I got him (see photo above).

If I had to guess he was in the process of excreeting waste and fell in a hole. If anyone has other points of view feel free to share.

Unread 05/26/2018, 09:06 PM   #9
hijinks
Registered Member

Your tank looks too new for it. You need a stable tank for them to thrive.

hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2018, 08:59 AM   #10
accel
Registered Member

Quote:
So the simple question was what behavior am I witnessing. An example answer is stomach blowout which could be caused by x number of situations. Please provide details on what happened over y days.

Yet the bot worthy answer provided 75% of the time is without parameters no advice can be given with 0 follow-up.

People ask out of ignorance hoping for help and this is a huge pet peeve of mine because I rarely see the one asking for details ever coming back. Its the equivalent of saying "FIRST" on a news articles comment section.

Anyway, this is a long tentacle anemone and his neighbor has taken to walking the same back and forth path on the other end of the tank but looks healthy otherwise (he wasn't attached when I got him) I think if anything I have too much light because the larger one half way hangs out in the day and walks out at night. This one started where the other one did but is now on the sand looking the same as when I got him (see photo above).

If I had to guess he was in the process of excreeting waste and fell in a hole. If anyone has other points of view feel free to share.
Unless you measure the light with a PAR meter, it's difficult to say how much lighting you have. I did the same mistake on a long tentacle anemone. I have Kessils and I thougjt I should be good but the anemone kept moving just like yours. It turns out my lighting is only about 50 PAR on the sandbed which is way too low. I bought an Apogee PAR sensor and it improved the lives of my licestoxk.

I got another long tentacle. I placed him on the same spot as the one who died. I surrounded this guy with a lagoon - crevice type rock setup on a sandbed. I adjusted my lights so now I get 180 PAR minimum on his spot. I used the values from Vivid Aquariums. 5 days after and he still has not moved. He liked his spot. The other anemone that had issue moved the night I got it and continued roaming around for 10 days and died.

I have a 2.5 months tank by the way.

I have two Rock flower anemones placed on the mid. One day I decided to move one to the corner because i saw online they can thrive on the corner. Also the lfs put this guy on the corner. The following night he moved to the center! The same spot where he was before. There's stronger water and more light on the center.

Also I have an RBTA place mid center high. Since day 1 he has not moved. Ok maybe an inch but he gets back to his spot again (there was a turbo snail pushing him around). It's been 20 days I think. PAR reading is 350 more or less

So my point is if you can't measure your lighting, you can't easily say it's not the lighting. The brand name is secondary because you can have good brands but if you placed it on the wrong height like what I did, then it's practically just like using a cheapo lighting

accel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2018, 07:38 PM   #11
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:

The answer to your question may not be as straight forward as you would like it to be as very little info has been provided. When you say 0 for everything but nitrates does that mean there is 0 mag, 0 calc, 0 ALK, and 0 po4 with an n03 of 20? Or does it mean you have 0 p04 and 20 no3? What you are witnessing is an unhappy possibly dying anemone. Why? Hard to say with so many unknown variables.

How old is the tank? Nems need stable mature tanks in order to thrive. How deep is the sand bed? Lta like to burry there foot in deeper sand. What equipment do you have for flow? It may be getting to much, not enough, or the right type. What type of lighting do you have?

At this point we don't have much info to go off of and can't really give you an answer. All we know is this one is balling up and falling over which could indicate a damaged foot but that is merely a guess. We also know you have another one that keeps wondering about the tank because it is unhappy. We also know you have 20 nitrate. That's about it. Davocean is very knowledgeable and gives good advice, just because he doesn't answer right away doesn't mean you won't still get an answer. He asked for the info because not only is it necessary to provide accurate advice but then it is available for everyone to see.

They are both clearly unhappy about something and depending what you have for flow they may find themselves shredded in a power head. That is usually the outcome for wondering nems without properly protected equipment.

I think a big part of the issue is too new a tank and too little experience. Maybe you should think about removing both nems before they perish and work on getting your tank more stable and allow it to mature which in turn will give you time to gain more experience and knowledge to be able to attempt another anemone.

If you reply and I don't respond right away I apologise, I usually work 12hr days 6 days a week so time is very limited to do everything else that needs taken care of.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube

Last edited by top shelf; 05/27/2018 at 07:47 PM.
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2018, 09:29 AM   #12
davocean
Registered Member

^^ What he said! (And thank you)

It's a group discussion forum, I'm not the only one that can provide answers, but OP is the only one that can provide info for those answers, and I still don't see much to go on, other than op has an attitude.

The reason we ask for details is we could shoot in the dark guessing forever at the posibilities.

We ask for params in numbers, time running, and gear, type of anemone, you gotta do some of the work dude, it's your tank, we are not paid for advice, this is not my job, I have a business to run, and I donate my time here when I can, and probably do that way more than I really should.

Unread 05/28/2018, 10:58 AM   #13
tthouston
Registered Member

Quote:
Anenomes been great so far and ate twice, then it went into the live rock and I found it like this when I dug him out this morning. Whats happening? He was very rigid and eating about 2 to 3 days before this, rigid meaning tentacles posed not loose if that makes sense... Not loose as in flowing freely but not so rigid as you couldn't see them move.
I saw it many many times in my tank. Ussually the Nem poop the next day or couple days after they eat. During they poop it look like that then they are back to normal after a few hours.
That is natural how the anemone go to the restroom.

Last edited by tthouston; 05/28/2018 at 11:05 AM.
tthouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2018, 09:54 AM   #14
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthouston View Post
I saw it many many times in my tank. Ussually the Nem poop the next day or couple days after they eat. During they poop it look like that then they are back to normal after a few hours.
That is natural how the anemone go to the restroom.
It’s not at all natural for any anemone to release it’s foot and lay upside down in the bottom of the tank like is shown in the first pic of this thread.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2018, 08:26 AM   #15
tthouston
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
It’s not at all natural for any anemone to release it’s foot and lay upside down in the bottom of the tank like is shown in the first pic of this thread.
I think you are mistaken on the picture above. That is his mouth, not his foot up side down. Just imaging, if his foot didn't touch the rock, then it will be floating everywhere cause by water current flow.

Unread 05/30/2018, 09:07 AM   #16
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Dying, not natural.
It is dying because the condition it is in is not adequate to keep it alive. Obviously something is wrong because it is dying. It is not the foot that we are seeing. It is an completely inverted anemone, and it will not be in this world for long.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2018, 02:35 PM   #17
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
I found it like this when I dug him out this morning.
Could you explain "dug him out?" Was it attached to anything in the rock work? Generally, anemones have the ability to move where they want, and will move when unhappy. Our moving them rarely helps.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2018, 03:06 PM   #18
tthouston
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Dying, not natural.
It is dying because the condition it is in is not adequate to keep it alive. Obviously something is wrong because it is dying. It is not the foot that we are seeing. It is an completely inverted anemone, and it will not be in this world for long.
Hey Minh,
If you said it dying, so why the second picture is alive like nothing happen?

Unread 05/30/2018, 03:11 PM   #19
tthouston
Registered Member

Quote:

For anyone else that finds this all is well, I imagine it has something to do with him eating and also falling into the rock. 4 hours later he looked like the picture below again.

Maybe someone that cares to share their knowledge will stop by to help shed some light on what I just witnessed. Seriously guys, why post without teaching?
@ICEWING - if you don't mind, can you take another picture at this time?

Unread 05/30/2018, 06:46 PM   #20
davocean
Registered Member

^^^ Don't quote me anymore, I've lost all interest.
Nothing to learn here...

Unread 05/30/2018, 07:11 PM   #21
fijisrfr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
^^^ Don't quote me anymore, I've lost all interest.
Nothing to learn here...

Nothin like beatin a dead horse!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fijisrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2018, 07:40 PM   #22
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijisrfr View Post
Nothin like beatin a dead horse!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OK, well THAT quote/post had some value!

Unread 05/31/2018, 05:07 AM   #23
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthouston View Post
Hey Minh,
If you said it dying, so why the second picture is alive like nothing happen?
An anemone totally inverted like that under extreme stress, like in shipping. It is under a lot of stress in the tank and completely inverted. If nothing change, and nothing will change since testing show "0 on everything..." the anemone will die.
Sick anemones will look good sometime and bad sometime, but every time it seem recover, it does not quite reach the good peak before. This cycle go on and spiral down until it turn to mush.

The OP may post more pictures, if the anemone looks well, and continue to look well then I will eat my humble pie. If no further picture post on this thread, I would assume that the anemone follow the usual course of most anemone that got sick.
LTA walk at night mean it is not happy about something. Bad water, too much current, too little sand... Like Dave, I know nothing about this tank, other than "0 on everything..."

Best of luck to this LTA

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2018, 05:48 PM   #24
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:

So, you provide a picture, with little-to-no info about the set up, and want the folks who would help to provide you a long list of possible problems and solutions (it would be a long list, because you haven't provided any info).

So, the simple answer appears to be that you want the folks who are answering to put in all the work, when you appear unwilling to do the work on your side of the equation.

I'm sure you already know this, since you referenced people asking for more information as your pet peeve, but things like specific water parameters (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PO4, temp, salinity, alkalinity and pH would all be helpful - and I know they aren't all zero) would help. Also, your tank setup would be nice - including tank size, age, lighting (including wattage, age of bulbs (if appropriate, or percentage of maximum if LED)), type of filtration, chemical additives or resins used, bare bottom/crushed coral/deep sand bed, other inhabitants, maintenance schedule (including type of salt and FW (DI/RO/Tap/Well?)), and any relevant history of the tank (have you used meds in this tank previously, was your house sprayed for bugs the day before, or...?).

Finally, the minor amount of info you provided said that you fed this anemone two days prior. Fed it what? What size? You can feed too large a piece of food, especially in a new, not-settled-in anemone, and cause a significant problem.

So, to recap; Fed two days prior, zero on everything and "dug it out" tells us not nearly enough for anyone to be willing to invest their time in trying to figure out what you have going on. Oh, and if people making a post with no info and then not returning to the thread (within a few hours?!?) bothers you, imagine how people feel when they actually try to get additional info and the original poster doesn't return to his own thread for days? Kettle ==> Pot.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2018, 08:23 PM   #25
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
So, you provide a picture, with little-to-no info about the set up, and want the folks who would help to provide you a long list of possible problems and solutions (it would be a long list, because you haven't provided any info).

So, the simple answer appears to be that you want the folks who are answering to put in all the work, when you appear unwilling to do the work on your side of the equation.

I'm sure you already know this, since you referenced people asking for more information as your pet peeve, but things like specific water parameters (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PO4, temp, salinity, alkalinity and pH would all be helpful - and I know they aren't all zero) would help. Also, your tank setup would be nice - including tank size, age, lighting (including wattage, age of bulbs (if appropriate, or percentage of maximum if LED)), type of filtration, chemical additives or resins used, bare bottom/crushed coral/deep sand bed, other inhabitants, maintenance schedule (including type of salt and FW (DI/RO/Tap/Well?)), and any relevant history of the tank (have you used meds in this tank previously, was your house sprayed for bugs the day before, or...?).

Finally, the minor amount of info you provided said that you fed this anemone two days prior. Fed it what? What size? You can feed too large a piece of food, especially in a new, not-settled-in anemone, and cause a significant problem.

So, to recap; Fed two days prior, zero on everything and "dug it out" tells us not nearly enough for anyone to be willing to invest their time in trying to figure out what you have going on. Oh, and if people making a post with no info and then not returning to the thread (within a few hours?!?) bothers you, imagine how people feel when they actually try to get additional info and the original poster doesn't return to his own thread for days? Kettle ==> Pot.

Kevin
Based on the way this thread played out my guess is the nem perished. I tried asking tank info in another thread by OP where he/she was responsive to the thread and once I asked for more info and tank age poof gone and never got another response. OP is on other threads giving adivice so they are still active. Odds are we will never know any more then what little we do.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote