Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/25/2017, 03:33 PM   #726
mav3rick478
Registered Member

Hey Soul, what Jebao pumps are you running and do you like them? I know you can buy them at Amazon for cheaper but the also seems to be no quality control and hard to get warranties. Reef Breeders carries them with a one year warranty and I know Logan is a very straight up guy. I'm also looking at those Rossmont controllable AC pumps, keep in mind this is for my nano.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mav3rick478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2017, 03:55 PM   #727
soulpatch
Registered Member

Dc12000 i think for skimmer and 2 pp4 on back wall and 1 in sump to tumble chateo. Ive had no isssues in the 3 years using them...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 09:48 AM   #728
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
1 in sump to tumble chateo.
Why do you tumble your chaeto?

Also how is your reactor working. Have you gotten any numbers on it yet?

Current Tank Info: Currently Rebuilding
texdoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 09:55 AM   #729
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdoc77 View Post
Why do you tumble your chaeto?

Also how is your reactor working. Have you gotten any numbers on it yet?
Getting it to roll ensures light to all sides and increases its growth and nutrient export. That is why a lot of stand alone fuges like the life reef ones or what BAO design now have spray bars at the top to force a tumble of the chateo.

As for the reactor - It has been running so I could tighten a few things to stop leaks. The Vertex is awesome looking but soo many connctions and such to leak. Took me a while to find the last spot where a gasket did not totaly seal.

The gas is hooked up but not running yet. I need to sit with it tonight after the gym and get the PH controller online and finally put the apex probe in the sump so I can tell what is going on in reactor as well as tank.

Then I need to test the tank tonight and raise the levels as needed to what I desire them to be at (alk still a concern for me) and then turn on the calcium reactor. LIkely put it on slowest pump speed and ramp up as needed.

Unread 02/27/2017, 10:04 AM   #730
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Getting it to roll ensures light to all sides and increases its growth and nutrient export. That is why a lot of stand alone fuges like the life reef ones or what BAO design now have spray bars at the top to force a tumble of the chateo.
That makes sense, just wondering.

Quote:
As for the reactor - It has been running so I could tighten a few things to stop leaks. The Vertex is awesome looking but soo many connctions and such to leak. Took me a while to find the last spot where a gasket did not totaly seal.

The gas is hooked up but not running yet. I need to sit with it tonight after the gym and get the PH controller online and finally put the apex probe in the sump so I can tell what is going on in reactor as well as tank.

Then I need to test the tank tonight and raise the levels as needed to what I desire them to be at (alk still a concern for me) and then turn on the calcium reactor. LIkely put it on slowest pump speed and ramp up as needed.
Ah gotcha, my mistake, I thought it was up and running. I am considering a reactor, but may just dose 2-part for the time being. Can't wait to see how it works for you.

Unread 02/27/2017, 10:26 AM   #731
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdoc77 View Post

Ah gotcha, my mistake, I thought it was up and running. I am considering a reactor, but may just dose 2-part for the time being. Can't wait to see how it works for you.
It is up just not producing at this point. Water is flowing through it and back into the tank but the other items to produce craps hasnt been turned on yet.

2 part is what I am using now to keep the tank stable. It is ok but I look at some of the tanks who do calcium reactors and how easy it is made me go that direction. A LOT more in up front costs and it will never be cheaper like some say but the ease is up my alley and the fact that I also get trace elements dosed back into the tank at the same time. I really think those extras are the secret sauce and I am excited to get into that and see what impacts it has for me.

As an aside I need to get my tank back on track slightly. I used some red slime remover as it had progressed from its one spot in my corner to on some rocks and irritating some corals. It is gone now but tank skimmer is still going nuts. Been removing the water it pulls and have done a couple smaller water changes to get it back in line. I also pull water from the tank every 2-3 days for the TTM QT setup so that is a small water change as well.

Hopefully things level out in the next week or so as the micro bubbles from the skimmer is annoying to see in the DT.

Unread 02/28/2017, 10:07 AM   #732
soulpatch
Registered Member

Ugh my magnificent foxface passed over ngiht. I only got him Saturday and into QT he went. He ate Saturday btu didn't eat again and stayed in one spot.

Not sure what happened but they were on the second TTM tank. Either way the juvi tusk who I really wanted is still doing well and the other fish look fine so I will have to keep an eye on em.

Unread 02/28/2017, 09:37 PM   #733
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Ugh my magnificent foxface passed over ngiht. I only got him Saturday and into QT he went. He ate Saturday btu didn't eat again and stayed in one spot.

Not sure what happened but they were on the second TTM tank. Either way the juvi tusk who I really wanted is still doing well and the other fish look fine so I will have to keep an eye on em.
Yep lost my pink goby I just got yesterday... Sorry about your fox face... on another note what do you calculate your total water volume at? Just curious, I was putting it at about 150-160, but when using a few reef calculator tools including sump I am getting about 140...

Unread 02/28/2017, 09:49 PM   #734
soulpatch
Registered Member

I leave mine around 150. I have a few gallons in my reactors and another 25 r so in the sump when running. So those 30-35 gallons in the stand should offset the rock and sand in the tank I think.

My lfs will order me in another foxface to replace mine for me. I told him to wait till mid march though so I can finish my current TTM. I have enough tanks to have multiple ttm and qt going but I prefer to only have 1 qt setup going at once...

Unread 03/03/2017, 02:05 PM   #735
soulpatch
Registered Member

Going to pck up some vibrant reef cleaner tonight to give that a go for some of my bubble algae I have going. Interested to see how it works...

Up on the plate for this weekend are:

Get PH controller online and start up the calcium reactor to actually produce
Continue TTM for new fish. All eating and looking great
Replumb return with longer locline
Right now the return is hard plumbed to the edge of overflow then locline. I want to use locline from inside the overflow so I can have smaller footprint and FINALLY put my overflow cover on to stop fish and larger snails from getting in there
Test, test, and test as the calcium reactor comes online and dose manually as needed
Pruning of my ulva algae...my foxface dieing has set me back with that one...

Unread 03/06/2017, 08:30 AM   #736
soulpatch
Registered Member

Ulva algae pruned, overflow replumbed with acrylic patch work and the lid placed on so my wrasse stays in the tank (I took strainer off of the main drain so algae pieces would go to sump and not clog it), and TTM continued. 2 more swaps (I do 2 day swaps typically so I dont have to worry about timing.)

Everything to do with the calcium reactor is currently at a halt though. The pump from Vertex is running SUPER hot (like would burn hand) and is making a buzzing sound. I fear the internals are siezing and thus causing heat issues and such. I dont trust it at this point and have a message into Vertex to see what they can do. I am awaiting a response and looking to buy a backup pump from them as well even if they warranty this one. The pump was molded witht he one fitting on it making it difficult to replace. I would have to cut some of the pipe on the reactor and add in my own fittings to plumb in a new pump should I want to go that way....and I might regardless to make things easier on myself down the line...

Unread 03/06/2017, 01:23 PM   #737
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Ulva algae pruned, overflow replumbed with acrylic patch work and the lid placed on so my wrasse stays in the tank (I took strainer off of the main drain so algae pieces would go to sump and not clog it), and TTM continued. 2 more swaps (I do 2 day swaps typically so I dont have to worry about timing.)

Everything to do with the calcium reactor is currently at a halt though. The pump from Vertex is running SUPER hot (like would burn hand) and is making a buzzing sound. I fear the internals are siezing and thus causing heat issues and such. I dont trust it at this point and have a message into Vertex to see what they can do. I am awaiting a response and looking to buy a backup pump from them as well even if they warranty this one. The pump was molded witht he one fitting on it making it difficult to replace. I would have to cut some of the pipe on the reactor and add in my own fittings to plumb in a new pump should I want to go that way....and I might regardless to make things easier on myself down the line...
That has got to be frustrating. I hope the vertex people work with you, and quickly. Seriously I really need you to get this thing on line and get the kinks worked out so the rest of us can learn how to do it.

Remind me what you have in QT, your anthias? I am also thinking about adding some anthias, and the Bartlett's seem the best bet, plus I like their size and coloring.

Unread 03/06/2017, 02:15 PM   #738
soulpatch
Registered Member

In my QT at the moment I have 3 Bartlett Anthias, my juvi Harlequin Tusk, and a Tailspot Blenny.

They finish TTM this week as they are on day 9 today. So Thursday will be it. I have put them through Pazi already with the TTM and another dose of Prazi on tomorrows change (I do 2 day changes just in case I get held up). Undecided on length of other QT. I need to kick QT back off for the foxface replacement coming so they will likely only spend a couple weeks in regular QT following TTM.

Unread 03/07/2017, 06:49 AM   #739
cincyjim
Registered Member

How was the stand that you received from SCA? Was it sturdy? Was the finish good? Did you have to do anything to it? The reason I ask is I'm in the process of buying the SCA 150g with stand and I'm not overly impressed with the staining on the stand.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 08:19 AM   #740
soulpatch
Registered Member

The stand I got from SC was awesome though I stripped the varnish and stain from the interior of it to repaint with a white epoxy finish to better protect against spills and brighten the interior.

I will say though that SC chaged vendors for their stands since I bought mine. The design is supposed to be the same but they are slightly taller I think. I am unsure of what different finish they might have at this point but that would be easily remedied with a sander and new stain should you wish or paint it a color. For the price though it can't be beat IMHO.

Unread 03/07/2017, 08:36 AM   #741
cincyjim
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. It's good to hear you saying they are sturdy. I saw what you did with yours and it was very impressive to say the least... very nice attention to detail!

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
Unread 03/07/2017, 09:13 AM   #742
tmnigat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyjim View Post
How was the stand that you received from SCA? Was it sturdy? Was the finish good? Did you have to do anything to it? The reason I ask is I'm in the process of buying the SCA 150g with stand and I'm not overly impressed with the staining on the stand.
I have a bunch of pics of my SC 150 stand in my build thread. I got it during the black Friday sale and all they had left was white so I painted it black. Overall the quality is good, nothing special but it is sturdy and decent quality. One of my door hinges was messed up from the start but nothing I couldn't fix quickly.

I'd talk to Steve and see if they have any options to customize stands with side access panels, only thing I wish mine had.

Unread 03/07/2017, 09:36 AM   #743
triten
Registered Member

I have a full custom stand from Steve

Completely different from the website very modern looking. With side doors custom stain. Also have a 150g

triten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 10:31 AM   #744
cincyjim
Registered Member

That's a nice set up tmnigat... very nice paint job.

How old is your stand triten? Can you post a picture of it?

Unread 03/07/2017, 05:44 PM   #745
triten
Registered Member

tanked was shipped to my house end of october 2016

Unread 03/07/2017, 05:54 PM   #746
triten
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2607270

Unread 03/08/2017, 11:37 AM   #747
cincyjim
Registered Member

That's a nice looking set up! Your stand looks like nothing they are providing now. Must have changed suppliers/builders. Oh well, I'll work with I get and I can always refinish it if I have to. Thanks for sharing!

Unread 03/08/2017, 08:31 PM   #748
soulpatch
Registered Member

So as for my calcium reactor I took the pump offline and have been in contact with Vertex. I looked it over more tonight and the rubber grommet on the impeller was mis formed and needed a small piece of rubber cut off. It appears to be running fine now but I think I will still order a spare pump just to be safe in the future.

So now the reactor is once again full and has water running through it. I am not happy with the confined space so this weekend the ATO container will be moved outside the stand giving me more room internally to do as I need.

SO my to do list for this week is as follows:

FINALLY set up the PH controller
put in my new power strip in the stand and clean up wires
ATO outside stand
fish will be done TTM on Thursday so final QT tank for a bit to observe though they look great
remount reactor

Once done the tank will be set equipment wise till I find something else new and exciting I want. LOL. Reefapalooza normally sparks my interest so I have till June with current setup

Unread 03/12/2017, 06:43 PM   #749
soulpatch
Registered Member

Everything finished that was planned for once. I got in the new power strip, ATO moved outside the stand, and calcium reactor and controller is hooked up. I need to test tank and dose up to levels if needed so I can know where I am at before starting gas into the reactor. Glad this is all done and ready to see serious growth starting with the reactor up and running...

Still need my skimmer to get back in line after using some red slime remover though. Been 2 weeks now I think and still not skimming without just filling the cup. Ill likely yank it for a vinegar soak this week if it continues to operate like this. There is enough water changes in the tank to have gotten everything out but who knows. Tie game at this point...

Unread 03/14/2017, 08:07 PM   #750
soulpatch
Registered Member

Broke out my BRS 2 part I had sitting around and mixed up all 3 parts. I tested the tank and am bringing it up to levels it shoudl be at then will maintain that level through this weekend and the calcium reactor will be brought on at the lowest settings and slowly brought uptill tank remains stable. The unit is all hooked up and just waiting on gas at this point. When I turn on gas this weekend I will post some pics and perhaps a tank walkaround video if I have time to clean up a few things.