Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/27/2018, 09:14 AM   #1
Conigs
Registered Member

Best way to introduce Tangs into a 300 gallon DT?

In about 2-3 months, my 300 gallon will be up and running (Dimensions - 96L X 30W X 24H).

I plan on keeping:
1 Blue tang
2 Purple Tang
3 Yellow tang
1 Blonde Naso
and Maybe possibly a Sohal or a Achillies tang if i wanna get crazy

I currently own the Blue tang, and one purple tang in my 90. I am setting up a little 30 gallon for a few months to hold 3 yellows and possibly the 2nd purple so I can get them fat and happy before introducing them to 300 display.

I am wondering what is the best way to introduce these tangs into the system to avoid aggression?? Any advice?

Conigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 09:28 AM   #2
marinelife
Registered Member

Purples and Yellow should all go in at the same time. I would really try to add al the tangs at the same time if you can. They will set up territories rather quickly.

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 01:08 PM   #3
scooter31707
Registered Member

I recommend no Sohal or Achilles. I would leave it with the original list. IMO, I would but in the Hippo and Naso in first.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 03:15 PM   #4
Conigs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter31707 View Post
I recommend no Sohal or Achilles. I would leave it with the original list. IMO, I would but in the Hippo and Naso in first.
Thanks for the recommendation. Any reason?

Unread 02/27/2018, 03:19 PM   #5
hkgar
Registered Member

They definitely must go through TTM, preferably with PraziPro, prior to going to the DT. As sto order, that is for others to advise.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 03:32 PM   #6
Conigs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
They definitely must go through TTM, preferably with PraziPro, prior to going to the DT. As sto order, that is for others to advise.
What is the best way to do that. I won't be doing that with the Blue tang and Purple tang I currently own

Unread 02/27/2018, 03:42 PM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

TTM is used to prevent Ick from getting into the DT. Check out the stickies in the Reef Deseases forum.

If you already have two tangs in the DT than you can not insure that Ick isn't already in the DT. If at all possible the Blue and Purple should also be removed and run through ttm but than to be sure the DT does not have Ick, it needs to be fishless (fallow) for 72 days.

Tangs are considered to be Ick "magnets".

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 02/27/2018, 03:50 PM   #8
Conigs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
TTM is used to prevent Ick from getting into the DT. Check out the stickies in the Reef Deseases forum.

If you already have two tangs in the DT than you can not insure that Ick isn't already in the DT. If at all possible the Blue and Purple should also be removed and run through ttm but than to be sure the DT does not have Ick, it needs to be fishless (fallow) for 72 days.

Tangs are considered to be Ick "magnets".
I mean I've had both tangs in my 90 for over a year so I think if there was a problem I would have noticed it

Unread 02/27/2018, 06:28 PM   #9
Pet Detective
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conigs View Post
In about 2-3 months, my 300 gallon will be up and running (Dimensions - 96L X 30W X 24H).

I plan on keeping:
1 Blue tang
2 Purple Tang
3 Yellow tang
1 Blonde Naso

I currently own the Blue tang, and one purple tang in my 90. I am setting up a little 30 gallon for a few months to hold 3 yellows and possibly the 2nd purple so I can get them fat and happy before introducing them to 300 display.

I am wondering what is the best way to introduce these tangs into the system to avoid aggression?? Any advice?
Sohal's are insane....don't do it unless you don't care about your other fish, on the other hand I have an Achilles Tang, it's my favorite fish, they can be sketchy to acclimate so if your other Tangs are established, it will be tough to introduce an Achilles, if you do get one, make sure to feed it Nori regularly.

Pet Detective is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 07:12 PM   #10
pfan151
Registered Member

I’d stick with one purple and definitely no sohal. I’d just add the purple, blue, and yellows all at the same time.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2018, 09:02 AM   #11
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. Any reason?

As Sohals get larger they will start killing off other inhabitants one by one, many accounts of this happening in tanks that aren't huge (think 1000g+) Not sure what tang the "blue tang" is, but you could do a Achilles possibly. I have 4 yellows, 2 purples, powder blue, Achilles and a unicorn in a 625g. There was some fighting with the powder blue and the Achilles for about 2 weeks but that has subsided.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2018, 04:31 PM   #12
skimjim
Registered Member.

Rank them in order of aggression. Most agressive go in LAST

*** hope you have skimmer(s) that are overrated for your water vol. Tangs eat and poop a lot = excessive NO3 = stress = ICH = losing most all tangs in a week

Ive been dealing with Tangs for 15yrs. Top 3 Tang REQUIREMENTS:
1) skimmers that keep NO3 way down
2) consistent water temp with NO temp swings larger than 4dgrees within 24hrs
3) consistent SALINITY. no +/- .004 swings up or below 1.024ish

Last edited by skimjim; 02/28/2018 at 04:42 PM.
skimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2018, 02:46 PM   #13
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimjim View Post
Rank them in order of aggression. Most agressive go in LAST

*** hope you have skimmer(s) that are overrated for your water vol. Tangs eat and poop a lot = excessive NO3 = stress = ICH = losing most all tangs in a week

Ive been dealing with Tangs for 15yrs. Top 3 Tang REQUIREMENTS:
1) skimmers that keep NO3 way down
2) consistent water temp with NO temp swings larger than 4dgrees within 24hrs
3) consistent SALINITY. no +/- .004 swings up or below 1.024ish
Yup, they love to eat. I have a Kole, Atlantic Blue and a Purple. They, along with my Two Barred Angle, eat one large romaine lettuce leaf and 1/2 sheet of Nori each day. I also feed the tang 2 cubes of frozen and they consume much of that. I have a MTC skimmer plus dose vinegar/vodka and have an ATS.

Unread 03/07/2018, 07:14 AM   #14
gsiegel
Registered Member

Quote:

I plan on keeping:
1 Blue tang
2 Purple Tang
3 Yellow tang
1 Blonde Naso

I would also consider just 1 purple as they can be a PIA. Naso 1st, then Blue, Then purple and the yellow at the same time. Agree with the others to nix the idea of the Sohal. Have you considered a Desjardins. IMO the most beautiful of them all - here is a photo of mine. I have a naso, blue hippo, purple, chevron, and Desjardins - added in that order with the Desjardins being larger than the others. I also have a 300g tank. No issues at all when each of them were added except a little jockeying with the purple and chevron.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fish2.jpg (79.7 KB, 9 views)
300g mixed reef-BlueHippo/Midas&bicolorBenny/2FlameHawks/CoralBeauty/MagFoxFace/spotted rabbit/BlondNaso/2clowns/PurpleTang/chevron tang/2lyretails/wrasses-pintail,2flame,lineatus,radiant,pink margin,
gsiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 07:38 AM   #15
MrsReefK
Registered Member

If you didn’t do TTM and QT with your current tangs, I’d suggest putting them through the process as well. If you do that, another benefit besides healthy fish is that you can add all to the DT at the same time.

Biggest mistake I make with our 290 is not listening and adding tangs at different times. They’re still mad at each other - it’s been months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 07:42 AM   #16
shyfish
Registered Member

I would give the tangs a guided tour of the tank. Always end with a Q&A segment

shyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 10:28 AM   #17
Conigs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyfish View Post
I would give the tangs a guided tour of the tank. Always end with a Q&A segment
Lmaoooo.

Unread 03/23/2018, 10:43 AM   #18
brett559
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
As Sohals get larger they will start killing off other inhabitants one by one, many accounts of this happening in tanks that aren't huge (think 1000g+) Not sure what tang the "blue tang" is, but you could do a Achilles possibly. I have 4 yellows, 2 purples, powder blue, Achilles and a unicorn in a 625g. There was some fighting with the powder blue and the Achilles for about 2 weeks but that has subsided.
Update on the 625?

brett559 is offline   Reply With Quote