Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/09/2012, 10:05 PM   #1
stlcard
Registered Member

Newbie - Cycled tank, snails dying temp to blame??

hello all, First post here but forum reader for several months.

I have approached what i believe to be the end of cycling my tank 1 month old.

33Gal - 15 lbs live rock, 10lbs base rock. 25ish lbs live sand.
current Stats: 0 amonia, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites,(consistent for 8 days) 1.024 salt, 8.2 pH, Half RO water, half conditioned tap water (tap is from memphis area, we have very clean water w/ no hardness or metals in tap water)

Ive done my several water changes throughout the month long cycle, usually 8-10 gal per week.

I started to add snails about 3 weeks in to help with diatoms i believe.
2 turbos, 3 margarita snails, 3 cerith, 2 astrea.

Okay, phew.... now for the question:

Could temperature swings of 3-4 degrees in mid day cause my snails to become lethargic then die?
I did proper 1hr drip acclimation. I do not have a heater in the tank as it consistently stayed 78 degrees without. I do however adjust my apt thermostat to a hotter temp while im out at work, thus causing a temp raise of about 2-3 degrees mid day. could this be the cause?

-or-

I did a recent water change and just barely ran out of enough salt mix, the change dropped the salt params from 1.026 to 1.024. Is this the more likely culprit?

in the past week a few of the smaller guys and 1 turbo have slowed down and stopped (confirmed dead by smell).

stlcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2012, 12:05 AM   #2
TeflonTomDosh
Moved On

Could temperature swings of 3-4 degrees in mid day cause my snails to become lethargic then die? - yes, inverts can be very sensitive to such BIG changes in tank params.

I did a recent water change and just barely ran out of enough salt mix, the change dropped the salt params from 1.026 to 1.024. Is this the more likely culprit? - see above question and corresponding answer

TeflonTomDosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2012, 12:47 AM   #3
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Margarita snails are coldwater species, so won't live long in a reef tank anyway.

Temperature swing may have been more of an issue with the margaritas, and the fast salinity swing would definitely cause problems with snails, which is why you did that 1 hour acclimation.

Current Tank Info: 55g softy/LPS tank & 20L reef tank
SushiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2012, 01:54 AM   #4
pkirby
Registered Member

Salinity swings can be a issue, but I would definitely check for copper. Run a poly filter just in case

pkirby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, newbie help, snails dying, temperature