Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/14/2015, 10:18 PM   #1
Martin in China
Registered Member

Tank mate advice

I have 1 blue yellow tail Damsel and 1 bicolor Dottyback. I would like to have one (maybe 2) more fish in my 20G reef tank, which one would be OKAY to put together whit those bullies I have now?

Martin in China is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2015, 09:06 PM   #2
bat21
Registered Member

6 line wrasse maybe? But just because all the fish can take care of themselves doesn't mean they won't kill eachother.

bat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2015, 06:57 PM   #3
Martin in China
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat21 View Post
6 line wrasse maybe? But just because all the fish can take care of themselves doesn't mean they won't kill eachother.
The killing part is what I'm afraid of. Some other forum people suggested to put another Damsel in as tank mate.....really possible?? I thought they would kill each other for sure.

Unread 05/17/2015, 05:16 AM   #4
A sea K
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat21 View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Current Tank Info: 30gal Deep Blue rimless 9/10/2014, 80gal Deep Blue rimless 40gal sump/refugium 9/11/16 LPS reef, 2 x Kessil A160 with a single Maxspect Razor, RO Prime 150INT skimmer, Sicce 3 return pump, Vortech MP40 and MP10
A sea K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2015, 05:57 PM   #5
bat21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin in China View Post
The killing part is what I'm afraid of. Some other forum people suggested to put another Damsel in as tank mate.....really possible?? I thought they would kill each other for sure.
I know that plenty of people have many damsels. But I can't speak from experience. I only have very peaceful fish. The one damsel I had was taken back to the fish store.

Unread 05/17/2015, 06:09 PM   #6
snorvich
Team RC member

No more fish in the original poster's 20 gallon tank.

Unread 05/17/2015, 07:20 PM   #7
Stevenliu9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
+1
The yellowtail is the main reason- very aggressive little bug. If you remove the damsel you might be able to add a pair of clown or gobies.

Current Tank Info: 180 Mix Reef + 28G Seahorse Species Tank
Stevenliu9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2015, 08:20 PM   #8
bat21
Registered Member

Quote:
Listen to this guy, OP.

Unread 05/17/2015, 09:50 PM   #9
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Why that? I have 9 fish in a 25 gallon tank: a pair each of percula clowns, shrimp gobies, mandarins and fridmani, plus a single bluestripe pipefish. And that's not even counting all the shrimp and crabs.
They are all doing fine. In fact besides feeding times the tank looks rather empty.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2015, 08:09 AM   #10
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Why that? I have 9 fish in a 25 gallon tank: a pair each of percula clowns, shrimp gobies, mandarins and fridmani, plus a single bluestripe pipefish. And that's not even counting all the shrimp and crabs.
They are all doing fine. In fact besides feeding times the tank looks rather empty.
Well that crowding level is not necessarily good husbandry and the average aquarist does not have your skills at maintaining that type of tank. A bicolor dottyback is not the most tolerant of tank mates either.

Unread 05/18/2015, 10:44 AM   #11
DopeCantWin
Registered Member

Quote:
Well that crowding level is not necessarily good husbandry and the average aquarist does not have your skills at maintaining that type of tank. A bicolor dottyback is not the most tolerant of tank mates either.
I'd also be interested in how long this tank has been up with all these fish, and what are the Mandarins eating.

DopeCantWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2015, 03:38 PM   #12
JoeVandal49
Registered Member

Both fish in the tank are what i would consider highly aggressive.

IMO with those two fish in the tank, you will eventually be left with the more aggressive or largest of the two. Any other additions will be harassed to death quickly.

Just my opinion.

JoeVandal49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2015, 06:02 PM   #13
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVandal49 View Post
Both fish in the tank are what i would consider highly aggressive.

IMO with those two fish in the tank, you will eventually be left with the more aggressive or largest of the two. Any other additions will be harassed to death quickly.

Just my opinion.
I agree. Which is why my opinion was not to add any fish.

Unread 05/18/2015, 06:40 PM   #14
Martin in China
Registered Member

How about a cleaner shrimp?
My tank is up and running now for about 7 weeks, the fish were added 1 week ago and so far they are OK with each other, even feeding is going calm, lets hope it stays this way. I am now just thinking in adding a few hermit crabs and 1 cleaner shrimp (as big as I can get).

Unread 05/18/2015, 07:05 PM   #15
snorvich
Team RC member

A cleaner shrimp (or pair) should be fine.

Unread 05/18/2015, 07:54 PM   #16
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

There's is a decent chance your dotty will eat cleaner shrimp. I recommend adding the shrimp at night because fish might think it's food. Happened to me once when I added a cleaner shrimp only to see its demise in the hands of a lineatus wrasse and clownfish.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2015, 08:42 PM   #17
Martin in China
Registered Member

If I add a cleaner shrimp he/she will be much bigger than my fish, but adding the shrimp at night is a good idea, thanks. BTW is adding 2 shrimp really OK?

Last edited by Martin in China; 05/18/2015 at 09:15 PM.
Unread 05/20/2015, 12:09 PM   #18
sde1500
Registered Member

From what I know, through asking similar questions, 2 shrimp would be fine. They are considered usually part of the cuc, so they add very little to the bioload.

sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2015, 08:23 AM   #19
Martin in China
Registered Member

Great, thanks sde1500

Unread 05/22/2015, 10:17 AM   #20
Bdubz
Registered Member

I had two yellow tail damsels that I got together at the LFS. They worked for about 5 months, but eventually the bigger one killed the smaller one. The yellow tail damsel that lived has been living peacefully with my pair of false percs and yellow tang. I also have a cleaner shrimp in the tank.

Bdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2015, 12:53 AM   #21
Martin in China
Registered Member

I'm going for a pair of skunks ....

Unread 05/25/2015, 04:25 PM   #22
Martini5788
Registered Member

Like previously mentioned, the dotty back may not accept that well but you could try it.

Martini5788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2015, 04:25 PM   #23
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Well that crowding level is not necessarily good husbandry and the average aquarist does not have your skills at maintaining that type of tank. ...
It isn't really crowded at all with all the rocks and caves in there. At times the only fish you see are the percula.
The gobies hardly ever leave the immediate area of their burrow and the mandarins and the pipefish are all day long hunting for pods somewhere in the rock structure.
The clowns stay most of the time in or above their surrogate anemone (ceramic flowerpot) or explore the immediate vicinity - they never go into the cave spaces.
Only the fridmani are a bit more active with the male always trying to lure the female into his cave.

The trick is not quantity but selection of the right fish to go together - and of course their size. Only the fridmani and the pipefish have by now reached their maximum sizes. The percula and mandarins are still less half their maximum.
The fact that all (except the poor pipefish) are kept in pairs reduces inter species aggression to a bare minimum - everyone is just too busy with its own kind to go after others. Only the percula and the male fridmani sometimes quarrel over "airspace" violations.

I also do at a minimum 25% water change each week - often more, because I route all water for water changes in my QTs through this tank. This leads to up to daily 25 to 50% water changes at times.

And finally, this is just a holding tank until my new tank finally arrives (it's been delayed for a couple of months now - Grrr).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeCantWin View Post
I'd also be interested in how long this tank has been up with all these fish, and what are the Mandarins eating.
The mandarins are eating pods and frozen brine shrimp. I have tigger pod cultures of in total larger volume than the tank. These cultures produce enough for at least one feeding of 1-2 ml pure pods a day. And I'm right now in the process of doubling that capacity.
The tank is also full with amphipods and Mysis but I doubt the mandarins are able to get many of those.
The trick is also to have a coarse gravel bed that provides enough refuge for small critters - a bare bottom or fine sand bed won't work.

This tank has been up for 6 months and these fish are for the most part in there for 4 to 5 months.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...

Last edited by ThRoewer; 05/25/2015 at 04:27 PM. Reason: addition
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2015, 01:46 AM   #24
Martin in China
Registered Member

So far the dottyback isn't even looking at the shrimp....he only looks at me if I bring some food.

Unread 06/04/2015, 01:10 AM   #25
Martin in China
Registered Member

It's still going well with my hermit crabs and shrimp, the 2 Halloween hermit have molded and are now up and about, the 2 shrimp just molded last night. Those shrimp are like twins, always together and now even molding at the same time.

Tags
20 gallon, bullies, damsel, dottyback, tank mates