Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/21/2018, 08:46 AM   #1
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Kalk in ATO and consumption rate question

I've been reading lots of threads on mixing Kalk in the ATO and haven't found the answer to my question. I have a 100g ATO and I use a an SpectraPure Litermeter pump.

If I saturate my ATO with say 1/2 tsp per gallon of Mrs. Wagers pickling lime, and it dispenses more kalk than my coral consumes, what will the result be?

This is somewhat an academic question as I'm pretty sure my tank will consume it all. I've read that kalk in an ATO is great for maintaining levels but not good for raising levels. This confuses me as what happens if the tank consumes less than is added through the ATO?

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...

Last edited by Zalick; 02/21/2018 at 01:18 PM.
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 11:37 AM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalick View Post
This confuses me as what happens if the tank consumes less than is added through the ATO?
Ca and alk will rise over time in this case.

Saturation is somewhere closer to 2 teaspoons per gallon, fyi.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 01:24 PM   #3
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Ca and alk will rise over time in this case.

Saturation is somewhere closer to 2 teaspoons per gallon, fyi.
Thanks. That's what I assumed.

I assume the rise would be very slow such that its safe to mix in my 100g RO holding tank and let it do its thing? I'd monitor every other day to see how its affecting the tank. Maybe I should start at 1tsp/gal and see the levels?

Unread 02/21/2018, 01:51 PM   #4
nereefpat
Registered Member

Just playing around with the calculator found here:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

It looks like for a 300gallon system that evaporates about 3 gallons a day, if you replaced that with saturated kalk, it would raise dKH about 1 unit.

You may not need any Ca or alk supplementation, however, depending on demand of the system and your water change regimen.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 01:57 PM   #5
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Just playing around with the calculator found here:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

It looks like for a 300gallon system that evaporates about 3 gallons a day, if you replaced that with saturated kalk, it would raise dKH about 1 unit.

You may not need any Ca or alk supplementation, however, depending on demand of the system and your water change regimen.
Thanks for the info! My system is on the lower/medium demand side right now and I change 1% per day with an auto water change system.

Unread 02/21/2018, 10:43 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

1 tsp per gallon is a reasonable place to start. Kalk can increase consumption by raising the pH, so the results of dosing are a bit predictable.

Tags
ato, kalk