Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2018, 04:41 PM   #1
Alma Knack
Registered Member

My Apex controls my Vectra Feed Mode

I am using a solenoid and my apex “Feed A” to turn on the feed mode on my Vectra M1. I have positioned the solenoid shaft to just in reach of the Vectra button, I padded both the shaft and Vectra button to avoid damaging the controller. It works great. I hope this helps you.
Paul Martin

Attached Images
File Type: jpg E8D5E98C-2C52-40B7-8E7E-DCD0AB236F69.jpg (58.9 KB, 191 views)
Alma Knack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 04:48 PM   #2
Knighthawk
Registered Member

Cool idea. I hope on day the will incorporate the return pumps to the wxm module.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Knighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 07:51 PM   #3
neilp2006
Registered Member

Does pushing feed A activate an outlet to which the solenoid is attached, or is it more complicated than that?

Neat idea, good implementation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilp2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 08:15 PM   #4
Alma Knack
Registered Member

Neil,
Yes, activating feed A turns on the outlet the AC/DC power adaptor is connected to, which drives the solenoid. The apex programming was a little tricky but not too bad.

Unread 02/24/2018, 10:35 PM   #5
BrettDS
Registered Member

It’s sad that it has come to that. I love my Radion lights, but I would think long and hard before buying another Ecotech product because they refuse to integrate the new pumps with the apex.

BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 10:57 PM   #6
Alma Knack
Registered Member

I agree. This is a desperate measure on my part. I would think long and hard before purchasing another ecotech product.

Unread 02/25/2018, 08:03 AM   #7
neilp2006
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alma Knack View Post
Neil,
Yes, activating feed A turns on the outlet the AC/DC power adaptor is connected to, which drives the solenoid. The apex programming was a little tricky but not too bad.

A simple yet elegant solution. But agreed- refusing to integrate their electronics with any controller type is a big mistake in this day and age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilp2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 04:50 PM   #8
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

I mean its not like Neptune makes any of their controllers open. They do at least give you the option of some inputs and user programming though

Current Tank Info: 90g SPS+mixed reef (10 yrs): LEDBrick LEDs, 40g custom sump, Ca reactor, chiller, Vortech, lots of custom electronics
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 05:09 PM   #9
BrettDS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatrus View Post
I mean its not like Neptune makes any of their controllers open. They do at least give you the option of some inputs and user programming though

While I don’t believe that the Neptune aquabus protocol is open or published anywhere Neptune has stated that that will openly work with any company who is interested in integrating their product with the apex.

And honestly with Ecotech the situation is even slightly worse as there is already an apex module that integrates with Ecotech products, but Ecotech explicitly didn’t allow neptune to use that module to integrate with the vectra pumps. It literally is just a matter of a code change to allow the integration to work here.

Unread 02/25/2018, 05:21 PM   #10
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDS View Post
And honestly with Ecotech the situation is even slightly worse as there is already an apex module that integrates with Ecotech products, but Ecotech explicitly didn’t allow neptune to use that module to integrate with the vectra pumps. It literally is just a matter of a code change to allow the integration to work here.
Totally agree here. I'd even be ok if EcoTech offered an API at the ReefLink or ReefWhateverCloud offering they have, but there isn't any documented at this level either (Neptune has at least something here on the local level). I poked at the radio modules on the original VorTechs quite awhile ago, but didn't really spend much time sorting out their protocol - at least it looked pretty straight forward assuming you used a matching transceiver.

Current Tank Info: 90g SPS+mixed reef (10 yrs): LEDBrick LEDs, 40g custom sump, Ca reactor, chiller, Vortech, lots of custom electronics
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 11:54 AM   #11
networkcrasher
Registered Member

Well, my understanding is that Ecotech is working on coming to market with their own controller, which would obviously compete with the Apex. If they had control of their pumps in their own controller, as they do with ReefLink, that's a differentiating factor to try to grab users.

networkcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 04:45 PM   #12
BrettDS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkcrasher View Post
Well, my understanding is that Ecotech is working on coming to market with their own controller, which would obviously compete with the Apex. If they had control of their pumps in their own controller, as they do with ReefLink, that's a differentiating factor to try to grab users.

While that is true for some people it can also backfire on them as well. Speaking for myself, I definitely won’t buy a Vectra pump and I’ll think long and hard about buying any other Ecotech equipment because I live and die by my apex. I believe that there are a lot of other apex users who feel the same way.

So while they may draw some additional sales from people who want pumps and Ecotech controllers I suspect that they will also lose a number of pump only sales from people with apexes and other controllers who don’t want to switch controllers.

Unread 03/22/2018, 05:47 PM   #13
networkcrasher
Registered Member

I think that’s already happening anyway... I didn’t even consider one because my Apex can’t control it. I also didn’t consider one because, and maybe this is from them being popular, they seem to have a pile of reliability issues.

networkcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2019, 02:04 AM   #14
laverda
Registered Member

Networkcrasher I agree 100%

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2020, 11:08 PM   #15
reefalot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alma Knack View Post
I am using a solenoid and my apex “Feed A” to turn on the feed mode on my Vectra M1. I have positioned the solenoid shaft to just in reach of the Vectra button, I padded both the shaft and Vectra button to avoid damaging the controller. It works great. I hope this helps you.
Paul Martin
What was your programming...trying to figure this out now...

reefalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2020, 10:16 AM   #16
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Kudos!
Is that black pipe I see?
Generally a no-no is my understanding.

Unread 01/22/2020, 08:49 PM   #17
Alma Knack
Registered Member

Sorry about the delay. I had to tear my tank down for a home remodel and haven't been on this site for a long time. I hope I am not too late to help you, reefalot. I got the programming from the fusion forums site. I know very little about programming. I think this is it. It's been a long time since I programmed this.
Output configuration:
Fallback ON
Set PF10
If FeedA 015 Then OFF

My solenoid programming:
Set OFF
If FeedA 000 Then ON
If Output VectraCntrl = ON Then OFF

Unread 01/30/2020, 12:11 AM   #18
Alma Knack
Registered Member

Here is the solenoid I used:
uxcell a13060500ux0014 Pull Push Type Open Frame Solenoid Electromagnet, 45N 9.9 lb, 10 mm, DC 24V, 400 mA

Unread 02/03/2020, 08:32 AM   #19
James5
Registered Member

Good idea

James5 is offline   Reply With Quote