Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 05/18/2006, 11:04 AM   #576
annetate
Premium Member

oops, i meant to address that to Alatriel

Unread 05/18/2006, 11:07 AM   #577
Alatriel
Registered Member

TBS rock that arrived on the 12th of May

Unread 05/18/2006, 02:42 PM   #578
techreef
Registered Member

Excuse me for interjecting with a TBS question, but you guys are the best collection of TBS reefers that I know of. I'm setting up a 90G tank with a DSB, and will be ordering the TBS Package for it. I'm supplementing the TBS LS with OldCastle aragonite sand to get me to a sand bed depth of 4-4.5".

Can anyone tell me what the TBS LS looks like/consists of? My aragonite sand is oolitic, and i'm a little concerned that the TBS LS is crushed coral-like, judging from the few pics i've come across. Should I be concerned and just skip the LS?

Unread 05/18/2006, 04:59 PM   #579
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Hello everyone!!

Wanted to share our experience with TBS. I placed order on Sunday night 10 PM via the website. Monday AM, Richard contacted me, via email, that he would have to dive for the rock and would get back to me. Tuesday, he called me and notified me that the shipment would go out Wednesday AM. Received packages last night at 7 PM at the El Paso airport using SWA.
Picture of packages:

When I got home, opened box’s and all I can say is WOW!! My wife, kids and I spent a few hours watching crabs, brittle stars, and all kinds of life on the rocks moving around. Nothing like the rock I got at the LFS!!

This is my wife “spotting”.

I set up a Tupperware container with my setup water. Let sit over night, then placed in tank. So far less than 0.25 ammonia!!

Here is front view:

Here is right side:

Here is left side:

Techreef - I used about 3.5 to 4 inch of aragonite sand and placed TBS sand on top of that. I would say that the sand from TBS is like what you would see as the ocean waves hit the shore - A mixture of sand and crushed coral. I will try and get a better picture of mine as soon as I can.

You can look in my gallery at the before pictures of the tank. Thanks for looking!

J

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon, Marco Rocks, 8x80W ATI Powermodule, Apex, Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 external
Unread 05/18/2006, 06:25 PM   #580
liverock
RC Sponsor

Amazing job by Southwest!

Looks good!

I am amazed at the job Southwest does getting freight to yall...Tampa to El Paso..not an easy destination to get to, nobody else can but Southwest......through Albuquerque.....the same day!..is amazing the job they do getting freight to the destination so efficiently!

Rock looks great, I like the way the gorgonian came out!
Richard TBS

Unread 05/18/2006, 07:46 PM   #581
techreef
Registered Member

jmait769, your tank looks terrific! thanks for the description of the TBS LS. That sounds fair; i've got no problem with using that. A picture of your sand would be awesome.

Thanks again.

Unread 05/18/2006, 09:05 PM   #582
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Thanks Richard!

I’m taking a break from the “red lens” flashlight! Still finding all kinds of critters. Don’t know what most are!! This is a hard tank to set-up due to the tall dimensions and I could not have picked more perfect rocks if I had tried! Yes the purple gorgonian is awesome with the white polyps!

Techreef – I’m going to have to borrow my kids camera (they always seem to have better gear then I do! ) as every shot I take shows up blurry.

J

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon, Marco Rocks, 8x80W ATI Powermodule, Apex, Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 external
Unread 05/18/2006, 09:53 PM   #583
krajacich
Premium Member

New actinic pics....

Well it's been a little while since I've posted any pics so I thought I'd show a few:

Ricordea (I just noticed today that it now has 4 mouths so hopefully it'll split soon I love the neon green mouths )

Yellow Sun Coral:

Orange Sun Coral:

Baby Orange Sun Coral (I just found this little guy about a month ago....very neat):

Purple & Green Frogspawn:

Current Tank Info: 72g bow reef tank with TBS package
Unread 05/19/2006, 06:05 AM   #584
liverock
RC Sponsor

Live sand

Quote:
Originally posted by techreef
Excuse me for interjecting with a TBS question, but you guys are the best collection of TBS reefers that I know of. I'm setting up a 90G tank with a DSB, and will be ordering the TBS Package for it. I'm supplementing the TBS LS with OldCastle aragonite sand to get me to a sand bed depth of 4-4.5".

Can anyone tell me what the TBS LS looks like/consists of? My aragonite sand is oolitic, and i'm a little concerned that the TBS LS is crushed coral-like, judging from the few pics i've come across. Should I be concerned and just skip the LS?
Live sand picture on the webpage!!!

TBS

Unread 05/19/2006, 07:57 AM   #585
Safir
Registered Member

for anyone else having trouble finding that picture, go to the ordering page, then price list, then click on view next to live sand, it will open in another window so you MAY have to turn off your popup blocker if it is over agressive.

Unread 05/19/2006, 10:33 AM   #586
drk70
Premium Member

Nice tank pics everyone!

jmait769 - Cool gorgonian! That is an odd tank size. Do you have full access to the back?

techreef - TBS sand is pretty course compared to the finer sands you buy in the lfs.

I need to take a pic of my sun corals. When mine open up they are huge!

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 05/19/2006, 10:42 AM   #587
liverock
RC Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by drk70

techreef - TBS sand is pretty course compared to the finer sands you buy in the lfs.

Because what you buy in a bag is not what mother nature provides!

I collect my sand from our aquaculture area....is a combination of everything that is in the Gulf, rock, sand, shells, coralines, live animals, ect.

It is what mother nature uses, so it is what I use. Today I was packing some and noticed many lanclets and other life in it....you don"t get that from a bag!!

TBS

Unread 05/19/2006, 10:47 AM   #588
liverock
RC Sponsor

Fingernail!

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
My condy got too big for my 75 IMO and it has been gone for months now. The only thing is once they get established well they may be a pain to get out.

My next plan of attack is to take a razor to my flower because I don't know any other way to get at it.
When I collect them in the Keys, they are stuck to rocks....just start on one edge with your finger nail and GENTLY peal it back at the base, it gets easier and easier to get off as you go, as the kinda "LET GO" when pealed!

TBS

Unread 05/19/2006, 10:58 AM   #589
techreef
Registered Member

TBS,

Thanks for your responses. I think your sand will work just fine w/ my DSB. As I understand it, the oolitic sand that I bought at Lowe's has the tiny grain size needed to create the low-oxygen areas in the lower layers of my DSB that will eventually (hopefully) turn nitrate into nitrogen gas and let it bubble out of the water. Using the TBS LS as the top layer of my DSB is great, because that top layer is never low in oxygen content in any DSB, so the grain size of the TBS LS is less important. In a perfect world, I'd use your LS for the entire sand bed, just to get all the terrific biodiversity from the LS. I hope to plumb my tank over the next two weeks, so expect a 90G order for "The Package" coming from me!

Thanks everyone,

Unread 05/19/2006, 11:35 AM   #590
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

A few pictures I took last night under my 10K + actinics:

Clowns defending "THEIR" zoa rock:

TBS Brain #4:

TBS Brain #5:

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 05/19/2006, 02:29 PM   #591
drk70
Premium Member

Re: Fingernail!

Quote:
Originally posted by liverock
When I collect them in the Keys, they are stuck to rocks....just start on one edge with your finger nail and GENTLY peal it back at the base, it gets easier and easier to get off as you go, as the kinda "LET GO" when pealed!

TBS
I'm with you on the sand, just trying to give a description of what it is like.

The foot is way under the rock and I can't get to it. When I mess with the anemone it completely disappears under the rock.

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 05/19/2006, 02:46 PM   #592
Grand Wazoo
Registered Member

Since it's show and tell time, I figured I'd post my latest pictures. This is my tank after about 2 and a half months with TBS liverock and livesand as the basis--it's only a 20g tank with a 10g refugium. The tank has all natural filtration, nothing mechanical--the key is the flow I have through the TBS rock--the refugium provides added water volume and is stocked with liverock (LFS) caulerpa and chaeto. I added that one common false clown last weekend--I have only that one fish and it will stay that way...

Unread 05/19/2006, 02:49 PM   #593
jallen1964
Registered Member

Really nice pictures everyone,
I really like those sun corals Danielle. I'm currently waiting for Richard to get back to me about delivering part 2. I can't wait to get it all in. When its all in I will post some pics of my own.

John

Current Tank Info: 130gal. TBS
Unread 05/19/2006, 08:58 PM   #594
jmait769
-CSHFLW

drk70 – Yes I have full access to the back. Here is a pic:

You can see more in my gallery page 2. It is a hard tank to set up! My wife started this, realized how much this was going to cost, and backed out. Too late – I was already reading reefcentral and was hooked. Tank was already in the wall so have to make it work!!

Danielle, Brian and Grand Wazoo – amazing photo’s!!!! How long have you had the TBS rock – just a rough guess? I just hope mine looks 1/3 as good as yours.

Techreef – Here is that look at my sand bed I promised. Probably about 95 lbs of aragonite sand. First layer is some 30 lbs black aragonite, 30 lbs of regular aragonite, 20 lbs live aragonite from the LFS and then TBS sand. Here is a pic:

Keep the pictures coming.!!

J

Unread 05/19/2006, 10:43 PM   #595
patsan
Premium Member

WOW....I never got any email that there were new posts...I missed so many!!

Everyone's tanks look awesome!!

Wazoo, yours is so nice and colorful. Please show us more!!

Techreef....the sand is course but it's not as bad as it sounds. It is just like everyone described...a combo of sand, small shells, etc. I don't think you'll mind it at all.

Brian, I remember back a while ago you had a bad week too with a bunch of bad things happening to you. Which type of frag got eaten?

Bri......the brains look like they're doing pretty good. You're doing a great job nursing them back to health!! Those clownfish look nice and healthy too.

Alatriel...do you have any more pictures of the hitchhiker fish?

Stacy...do you have TBS???

jmait769....that's fantastic you got your rock so quickly. It's a beautiful tank.....what size is it?
The only thing I see and wanted to know is on the left side of the tank, is the rock leaning on the glass? If it is, you might want to move it away so you'll be able to clean it.

Danielle.....so good to see some pictures. I wish when I had the ricordoa that they split, but they never did. I guess I didn't have them long enough.

Dennis....how about some new pictures? Borrow that camera again.

Richard...you're making a lot of people very happy lately. Glad to see you've been able to dive a lot again.

Current Tank Info: spectator
Unread 05/20/2006, 03:05 AM   #596
Alatriel
Registered Member

patsan I'll try to get a few more pictures of the fish. Shy little bugger never wants to come out when the camera is around. I'm still waiting to see the other one. I've caught sight of a fin but not much else.

Unread 05/20/2006, 03:51 AM   #597
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

For the past 1.5 months Ive been persuing this purple rock crab. After 3 escapes he was proving to be quite the opponent.

May15th:I find the purple rock crab while observing the tank. He is aporixmatley 1.75 inches across "at ease". I chase him around the tank eventually cornering him and rip off 3 of his 8 legs. He escapes me and retreats to the depths.

No feeding except for rotifers for 5 days.

May20thI work a late shift so my tank is on a wierd light schedule fyi)
1:30AM I feed my tank a mix of rotifiers, mysis shrimp and raw shrimp pieces.
1:45AM my actinics turn off.
1:55AM I turn on my red flashlight to show my guests the goings on of the night time reef. Immediatley a rock crab measuring 3 inches "at ease" is sitting on a rock ledge. After several minutes of stabbing and corraling with my "tweezers of doom" the giant crab remained unscathed. He ran away from me. He resisted my attempts at crushing him with said tweezers. Bewlidered I asked my guests where he retreatreaded and proceeded to tear apart my rocks to get to giant rock they "swore" he was under. Sure enough as soon I picked it up I found him hiding on the bottom. I had to remove the rock from the tank entirely to get the crab out. He measured 2 inches across completly retracted.
His legs not only grew back but he doubled in size almost in 5 days.
My guests were unwilling to let me execute him for his crimes against the tank. They proposed I set him free. Let him live on the outside. So I did. I let him out the backdoor. Good luck buddy!
(*RIP* 1 - 3 porcelain crabs, 2- 5 hermit crabs, and one of my first official tank inhabitants a 3+inch serpent starfish =( =( )

With him gone the rock is virtually pest free. Thanks again TBS. I cant wait to show off your stuff. No other rock even comes close to this in biodiversity. I still find new creatures every other day.
Sunday should be my first real day off in almost 2 weeks. Ill get you guys some pics =)

Peace

Unread 05/20/2006, 06:01 AM   #598
patsan
Premium Member

Jesse...you didn't take a picture of it??

Current Tank Info: spectator
Unread 05/20/2006, 07:22 AM   #599
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

I've had my TBS rock for about 11 months now. Things are still going pretty good. Lost most of the tunicates and sponges, but the ones that survived are growing now

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 05/20/2006, 07:31 AM   #600
bkelley02
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan

Brian, I remember back a while ago you had a bad week too with a bunch of bad things happening to you. Which type of frag got eaten?
I was something they sold to me as a Flash Gordon Monti. Bright orange encrusting monti with bright blue polyps. Was really starting to color up nicely and starting to spread.

Closed Thread