Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 08/28/2018, 03:29 PM   #10776
Kat_Ram2003
Registered Member

Newbie!

Hi there, I've been a fish nerd my entire life, starting out with tanks when I was 13 or so....now that I'm approaching my late 40's, I figure it's time to go for my goal of having a reef tank - I've been fascinated with them forever!
So, I'm starting with a 50 gal cube tank, not drilled, going to start with a canister filter, and see where my addiction takes me, lol! In the research stage now...so much to learn, but this forum is FANTASTIC!
Looking at 2-3" of live sand, and live rock, with a few Zoanthids and elegance corals, a couple of "easy" fish, and a good clean up crew.
Thanks for all of the great information!

Kat_Ram2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2018, 10:11 AM   #10777
iiiTRiBEiii
Registered Member

greetings!

First post to say hello, there are so many forums and sites that pertain to aquariums and having browsed these forums as a guest I think Reef Central looks top notch with a great community. Glad to be a part and hope to contribute what little I can.

Tank: 55 brackish (1.005 - 1.010) w/ 15 Red Mangroves
mollies, knight goby and sheepshead minnow (eventually and archer or two)
2 fluval 206, C02 installed but not currently active

iiiTRiBEiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2018, 12:19 PM   #10778
moonphaz
Registered Member

New-ish

I have come to this site for several years when I had questions, but never formally took part. We had a reef tank, had trouble so changed to fresh water and didn't like it so went back to reef tank. We have had our reef tank up and running now for about 3 months with all water perimeters staying perfect, soft corals (anthelia, torch, mushrooms, green & brownstar polyps, branched frogspawn all doing awesome & growing beautifully. We have a clean-up crew of 2 emerald crabs, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 astraea turbo & 2 nassarius snails, a Black/white with orange face clown, green clown goby & a bi-color blenny along with a few hitch-hiker brittle worms and mussels. All are doing well. We just got the starfish and I am concerned because I told the LFS that the tank was 3 mos old, but doing well with good levels/healthy tank and they said it would be o.k. He had gone to the top of the tank and is partially out of the water, which they said to be careful not to let air get to him after I acclimated him to our tank (drip acclimated for 1 hour) and put him in. I was careful not to touch him and didn't let him get any air, but now he is doing it himself. Should I be worried? What do I do?

moonphaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2018, 12:21 PM   #10779
moonphaz
Registered Member

Oh - BTW the starfish is a black-tipped red star.

Old 09/02/2018, 12:25 PM   #10780
moonphaz
Registered Member

I have one mangrove I was trying in my 30 gal reef nano. It is turning reddish brown but still is green too. I started getting one white root, but it turned red too. All the leaves fell off the very top (it is above the water by about 2 inches and doesn't appear to be doing anything much. Is it dying? I know they apparently grow very slowly, but I don't know what to expect. My nitrates are zero in my tank, hoping that's because the mangrove is doing it's job. Thoughts?

Old 09/05/2018, 08:28 PM   #10781
Angeloli
Registered Member

hello guys,I'm from Taiwan.
a new guy in reef tank.

Angeloli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2018, 08:33 AM   #10782
KCSUMPS
Registered Member

Smile New to Reefing well, after 30 years it seems all new...

Kids are moving out and have some time again. Picked up several tanks and equipment as I begin to learn about reefing after about 30 years since my last saltwater tank in 1987. Wow! Things have changed!

Currently researching how to build the stand I want for my 90 and 55 sump and where I can find Pukani rock...

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon initially...
KCSUMPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2018, 03:25 AM   #10783
Grootzilla
Registered Member

Hey everyone!
I'm Jasper (or Jazz). I have always been interested in starting my own reef but now that I have a steady(ish) job that will get me the funds nessesary to begin this awesome hobby I've begun reaserching like crazy. I don't have a tank or anything yet. I've mostly been calculating cost and reaserching equipment. I already have a good idea ok what I want in my tank and how big I'd want it (30-40gal). I am trying to decide if building my own stand is worth it so that I will be able to customize how I set up my sump right underneath the display tank while still containing some storage for water quality testing kits and other miscellaneous things I will need over just buying one. My father use to be a carpenter so I'm sure if I asked him and explained what I wanted he would do it no problem. But yeah. I am super exited. I plan to start my reef within the next 3-6 months with just soft corals and adding fish and whatnot later. Aaaaaaa.

Grootzilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral