Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/22/2020, 06:13 PM   #1
spsfreak25
I'm the real joker

Light questions

How fast can I turn down my light without causing issues for my sps? I think I have my lights to strong and I'm seeing my easy to keep sps dying. It starts off at the tips they slowly works it's way down until its completely dead. There is no pests or other things eating them. My water levels are good and have been for about 5+ months now( I will post them at the end of this). I dont run carbon, nothing has gotten in the tank I'm home all the time. My tank is a 60 cube and I use a reefbreeders 24" with 2 24" t5 blue + bulbs it sits around 13" above the water. I'll post par readings as well.

Water levels as of yesterday
Sg 1.026
N03 5ppm
P04 0.07
Ph 8.3
Alk 9.3
Cal 450
Mag 1365

spsfreak25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2020, 06:14 PM   #2
spsfreak25
I'm the real joker

Pic of par readings

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201120_222649.jpg (48.5 KB, 17 views)
Unread 11/22/2020, 09:38 PM   #3
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

How long exactly has your tank been cycled again? Just want to sure i'm reading right before proceeding.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2020, 10:33 PM   #4
spsfreak25
I'm the real joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldreeferman View Post
How long exactly has your tank been cycled again? Just want to sure i'm reading right before proceeding.

It's going on a year now

Unread 11/22/2020, 10:54 PM   #5
spsfreak25
I'm the real joker

I just want to turn my lights down. I just dont know how fast or slow I should go about it. I know when you would increase the strength you go a few weeks in between the upping.

Unread 11/22/2020, 11:36 PM   #6
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Lowering lighting settings is not hard on your corals, id have no concern lowering immediatly then watching how they react. Lighting too high in the beginning is the main issue with any corals really. Im running T5HOs also Blue & Violet never had any issues with too much light on easy SPS seems just right.
What SPS coral is giving you an issue? Ive got Monti cap, Digis, Passamacoras, Leptos, etc. just no acros.

Unread 11/23/2020, 12:15 AM   #7
spsfreak25
I'm the real joker

I've lost 5 or 6 different birdsnest and my monti's dont look happy. But my higher end acros are happy as can be and are growing very fast. I have a walt Disney and a strawberry shortcake right under the 520 and 420 par levels. I cant think of anything else that could be causing me to lose these corals except my light is too strong. I do plan on getting a icp test done in the near future just have to wait until I have free funds.

Unread 11/23/2020, 02:51 PM   #8
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Hmmm, yea if the actual Acros are happy its not a water issue, can you move them lower to test this or are they firmly attached with no frag plugs on them ATM?

Unread 11/23/2020, 03:01 PM   #9
gavij012379
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldreeferman View Post
Lowering lighting settings is not hard on your corals, id have no concern lowering immediatly then watching how they react. Lighting too high in the beginning is the main issue with any corals really. Im running T5HOs also Blue & Violet never had any issues with too much light on easy SPS seems just right.
What SPS coral is giving you an issue? Ive got Monti cap, Digis, Passamacoras, Leptos, etc. just no acros.
I think lowering the light intensity should not be an issue too. Not clear if you just increased your light intensity recently though. If you did then you might want to go back to previous setting or slightly lower and increase gradually. Or you can try covering these corals with acrylic, paper etc. I recently stressed my corals too trying to acclimate them to a higher intensity but probably lost them to change in water parameters.

gavij012379 is offline   Reply With Quote