Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/01/2009, 03:39 PM   #351
eho72
Registered Member

I am going to have an empty tank for a while not by choice. I am not the most patience person so hopefully this hobby will help with that. It will be empty with just the rocks and a few fishes because I will have run out of money by the time all the equipments are in place.

eho72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2009, 03:41 PM   #352
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

I have found, from past experince, that fish do not do well in an empty tank. You might wish to hold off on those for awhile too.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2009, 10:31 PM   #353
SKremk
Registered Member

Hi everyone. I've been on the board for a while, but just started posting. I've been in the hobby for about seven years. My latest tank is about a year old, set up when I moved from New York to Southern California. It's a 48 gallon tall, the same footprint as a 30 cube but about 50% higher. Here are some quick specs:

48 gallon tall tank with custom sump
~40 lbs of live rock, stacked on pvc pipe.
ASM G1x skimmer
Ehiem 1260 return pump
150 HQI sunpod
plankton doser

Mix of LPS, SPS, softies and sponges
Pair of ORA stubby ocellaris clowns,
5 chromises
Sunburst Anthias

SKremk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2009, 11:17 PM   #354
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

lovely looking tank, and nice to see you here

To Reef Central

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2009, 07:27 PM   #355
Mrs. Suzy Smith
Registered Member

So, I'm returning after several years... I was pretty much an expert now I have millions of questions all over again! I love this hobby...

Somebody tell me.. Did T-5's get big? They were fairly new around the time I checked out....

Mrs. Suzy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2009, 07:29 PM   #356
Mrs. Suzy Smith
Registered Member

SKremk.. Hello, you posted that you stacked the rock using pipe....That's the first question that came to mind when I saw your pic... Can you please explain how you did it? Drilled the rock??

Mrs. Suzy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2009, 07:52 PM   #357
SKremk
Registered Member

Suzy, I first did a dry run and figured out how I wanted to stack the rocks, then I drilled them with a 1/2" concrete drill bit. I then put the pvc pipe on the bottom rock and stacked the rest on top of it. I added extra supports to certain areas made from underwater epoxy that keep the tower from shaking.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon mixed reef, 3x250w Belize sun fixture, SWC 180 skimmer, 2 MP40
SKremk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2009, 03:37 PM   #358
XxxTakxxX
Registered Member

rookie in need of help

Name is kevin and of course I'm a complete newbie with saltwater. Anyone that has useful information for me would be great. I was jsut handed a free 75 gal but I only recieved the tank so I need..... well everything else. Anyone who might know the "best" equipment to fill out my tank please let me know so I know where to look and what to look for when I start purchasing parts.

XxxTakxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2009, 04:01 PM   #359
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Re: rookie in need of help

Quote:
Originally posted by XxxTakxxX
Name is kevin and of course I'm a complete newbie with saltwater. Anyone that has useful information for me would be great. I was jsut handed a free 75 gal but I only recieved the tank so I need..... well everything else. Anyone who might know the "best" equipment to fill out my tank please let me know so I know where to look and what to look for when I start purchasing parts.
hey-kevin welcome to the forum, theres a lot to take in to be honest, a good starting point is here http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1031074

To Reef Central

MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Unread 06/05/2009, 04:12 PM   #360
XxxTakxxX
Registered Member

Is it possible to have a tank with just a filter. or will i need some sort of circulation system in place such as a sump. My local guy is directing me to the Marineland emperor 400 and he said that should be more than enough to keep my tank going without external parts.

Unread 06/05/2009, 05:04 PM   #361
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Is it possible to have a tank with just a filter. or will i need some sort of circulation system in place such as a sump. My local guy is directing me to the Marineland emperor 400 and he said that should be more than enough to keep my tank going without external parts.
Kevin, the most important filtration is your live rock. You should have 1 to 1.5 lbs per gallon.
Flow is very important in your tank. You should have between 20-40 times your tank volume in gph.

A sump's key function really is to allow you to put skimmers, heaters hang on filters like your emperor400 etc in it or on it so they are not hanging all over the display tank.
There are of course many other functions of a sump but in your case you don't need one to have adequate filtration.

What you make think of purchasing is a protein skimmer which would give you alot more filtration then the marineland emperor400

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2009, 05:07 PM   #362
XxxTakxxX
Registered Member

if i go with a protein skimmer will I be able to simply place it in the corner of the tank or will it need to be more centralized. second if I do that will i still need a filter or will the skimmer do the job for me?

Unread 06/05/2009, 07:25 PM   #363
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
if i go with a protein skimmer will I be able to simply place it in the corner of the tank or will it need to be more centralized. second if I do that will i still need a filter or will the skimmer do the job for me?
It will be an hob skimmer so yes you will be able to place it in the corner of a tank. The remora C has done well in my 40 gal frag or waterever tank.

the body that you see in this picture hangs on the outside of your tank. You will need a small power head in the tank to run it

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/ps...n+Skimmer.html

You won't need the other filter

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 06/06/2009, 03:13 PM   #364
kar93
Registered Member

It's been so long, I feel like a new member so.... Hello everyone!
I'll hopefully be sticking around this time .

kar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2009, 09:27 PM   #365
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kar93
It's been so long, I feel like a new member so.... Hello everyone!
I'll hopefully be sticking around this time .

To Reef Central

good to hear from you Kar--glad you are back to stay

Unread 06/08/2009, 05:19 AM   #366
fideladio
Registered Member

Fidel Eladio Mendez

Hello everybody, my name is Fidel and im new at this hobby. Really new.

fideladio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2009, 09:18 AM   #367
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

hey fidel, i think i answered your 1st post tbh, but anyhow its great to see you here, i started this thread off last year especially for complete newbies like you, welcome to the new to the hobby buddy, please keep in touch with us and let us try to help you

To Reef Central

MIKE

Unread 06/08/2009, 10:12 AM   #368
kar93
Registered Member

To Reef Central, Fidel

kar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2009, 01:46 PM   #369
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kar93

To Reef Central, Fidel

Thanks for the personalized welcome banner Kar

Unread 06/08/2009, 11:04 PM   #370
Tschupe
Registered Member

Question

Question. This guy has a 90 gal tank for sale. But i've only been looking into ones with a built in overflow. This one has two holes drilled in the bottom and an overflow with one hole. Is this a more difficult style to plumb? Which style of tank would you suggest for a newbie

Tschupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2009, 06:14 AM   #371
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tschupe
Question. This guy has a 90 gal tank for sale. But i've only been looking into ones with a built in overflow. This one has two holes drilled in the bottom and an overflow with one hole. Is this a more difficult style to plumb? Which style of tank would you suggest for a newbie
It sounds like the two holes in the bottom are for your returns and the overflow is for the drain. Can you give the details of this 90gal sale--eg is it just the tank and stand, or is it a complete setup?

Unread 06/09/2009, 08:03 AM   #372
Tschupe
Registered Member

just tank and stand. for 325. but I am planning on building my own stand, so i wouldn't keep that oneAnd a sunpaq retro fit driver model 1562, which to me looks like lights you would see in your garage.

Unread 06/09/2009, 06:06 PM   #373
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tschupe
just tank and stand. for 325. but I am planning on building my own stand, so i wouldn't keep that oneAnd a sunpaq retro fit driver model 1562, which to me looks like lights you would see in your garage.
that's alot for just a 90gal tank. Have you tried on the buying and selling forums here or at www.kijiji.com or craigslist.com.

Unread 06/09/2009, 06:21 PM   #374
iggygrl76
Registered Member

Well i suppose its time to introduce myself! lol.
Im Karin Ill be 33 in july...Ive kept freshwater fish since I was a kid and have had saltwater on and off for about 11 years.

I like to keep what peeps refer to as "nano" systems. Though I have had experience maintaing and keeping commercial store tanks and display tanks for about 4-5 years...I like my lil nanos though lil mini environments are easier for me to focus on.

I have a 12g aquapod now my next venture i think im going to attempt to raise and breed dwarf seahorses Ive kepts eclectis successfully in the past...and I love them fascinating lil critters.

Current Tank Info: 20L Mini Reef
iggygrl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2009, 06:23 PM   #375
Tschupe
Registered Member

Found this on craigs list . I know its alot cheaper buying an established system but would I be better off starting from scratch as far as learning everything I need to know?? What are your opinions on this. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/for/1213405638.html

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral