Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/20/2018, 06:19 AM   #26
Gauraog
Registered Member

Need to build aquarium like this

Guys,

I'm. Planning to build aquarium like this. This is what I was looking for. Just wanted to know what should be thickness of glass when I go for 4feet tall fish talk like this. Also any idea whether toughen or regular glass will be ok?

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (21.2 KB, 41 views)
Gauraog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 02:29 PM   #27
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Whats different from whats already been discussed?

Unread 05/20/2018, 08:06 PM   #28
riveclay-boaeef2024
Registered Member

How do you plan on caulking the 4 ft length?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

riveclay-boaeef2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 12:56 PM   #29
Gauraog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveclay-boaeef2024 View Post
How do you plan on caulking the 4 ft length?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
No idea. Looking for suggestions

Unread 05/21/2018, 03:33 PM   #30
JZinCO
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post

and a rc sub will not have the needed force to press up against the glass to be useful.. not to mention I don't believe your tank even has water in it..
The gloves are down. I want to see this tank too

OP, no offense but I don't see this going any farther than spending alot of money and then having materials collect dust in the garage. In situations like these, you either have got to do a boat load of research. The depth of your questions suggests that you ought to do more reading. OR, pay someone with the knowledge and expertise. On challenging projects, it is almost always worth the value of your time to let some volume builder do the work. I mean CustomAquariums has the price for this dimension tank listed at $775 base price with 5/8 glass for rimmed (<$1000 for rimless with 5/8 tempered.. hmm surprisingly thin).

I mean, what's your free time worth to you? Unless you're looking to gain experience in glass tank building, I know what I would do ... I mean a single 4' x 14" 1/2" thick pane is going to cost you $200 (Dulles Glass quote, they don't sell >1/2" so just use your imagination ). So with glass alone you're already in the hole for parts as compared to a $775 built tank.

JZinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 04:47 PM   #31
Gauraog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZinCO View Post
The gloves are down. I want to see this tank too

OP, no offense but I don't see this going any farther than spending alot of money and then having materials collect dust in the garage. In situations like these, you either have got to do a boat load of research. The depth of your questions suggests that you ought to do more reading. OR, pay someone with the knowledge and expertise. On challenging projects, it is almost always worth the value of your time to let some volume builder do the work. I mean CustomAquariums has the price for this dimension tank listed at $775 base price with 5/8 glass for rimmed (<$1000 for rimless with 5/8 tempered.. hmm surprisingly thin).

I mean, what's your free time worth to you? Unless you're looking to gain experience in glass tank building, I know what I would do ... I mean a single 4' x 14" 1/2" thick pane is going to cost you $200 (Dulles Glass quote, they don't sell >1/2" so just use your imagination ). So with glass alone you're already in the hole for parts as compared to a $775 built tank.
I never touched a silicone till date. Forget about building up aquarium. Lol. But yes I'll do it. I'm collecting figures and facts along with suggestions. Now I got to know that fish loves to swim in horizontal direction. So I got solution for it. Although my fishtank size will be 2 ft but my fish will travel around 8-10ft straight. I'll let the forum know about it once I have time to draw diagram and upload it here.

I got around 95% responses negative. Which forcing me to do the same with 200%.:-)

Unread 05/21/2018, 04:50 PM   #32
Gauraog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauraog View Post
I never touched a silicone till date. Forget about building up aquarium. Lol. But yes I'll do it. I'm collecting figures and facts along with suggestions. Now I got to know that fish loves to swim in horizontal direction. So I got solution for it. Although my fishtank size will be 2 ft but my fish will travel around 8-10ft straight. I'll let the forum know about it once I have time to draw diagram and upload it here.

I got around 95% responses negative. Which forcing me to do the same with 200%.:-)
Well as of now the cost is around $100

Unread 05/23/2018, 01:12 PM   #33
jamie1981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauraog View Post
Well as of now the cost is around $100

fishtank size will be 2 ft but my fish will travel around 8-10ft straight
$100 for a 2' tank with 8-10 ft swimming room please do tell

jamie1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2018, 12:59 PM   #34