Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2018, 12:08 PM   #10626
hammertime55
Registered Member

newbie reef wanna be

Well here goes, feel like I'm diving off into the Gulf which is only a few miles away. I know alot more about the Gulf than I do setting up a reef system but I know how to read so I'm sure I will learn.

Got the stand completed today which will hold a 55 gallon display and 20-30 sump tank.

Got a second hand LED which has 12k whites and other various colors so I think I'm good on that end.

Where I'm still very foggy is the sump. I don't want to drill the tank so I need to know how to plumb the system. The examples I have read are all with drilled tanks. I am looking at a 20 gallon tank for sump that has a hole drilled and fittign about 2" from the top but not at the bottom.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am going to start with a FOWLR and ease my way into the full blown reef. I was thinking I need a skimmer, heater and water movers to start. Is there anything else I should be considering? Reactor neccessary at this stage?

MC

hammertime55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 07:42 PM   #10627
PacoPetty
Registered Member

Overflow box

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime55 View Post
Well here goes, feel like I'm diving off into the Gulf which is only a few miles away. I know alot more about the Gulf than I do setting up a reef system but I know how to read so I'm sure I will learn.

Got the stand completed today which will hold a 55 gallon display and 20-30 sump tank.

Got a second hand LED which has 12k whites and other various colors so I think I'm good on that end.

Where I'm still very foggy is the sump. I don't want to drill the tank so I need to know how to plumb the system. The examples I have read are all with drilled tanks. I am looking at a 20 gallon tank for sump that has a hole drilled and fittign about 2" from the top but not at the bottom.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am going to start with a FOWLR and ease my way into the full blown reef. I was thinking I need a skimmer, heater and water movers to start. Is there anything else I should be considering? Reactor neccessary at this stage?

MC
Go on YouTube and search overflow box for aquariums. There are a bunch of videos for you to watch and they are very informative and easy to understand. Welcome to the forum and welcome to the hobby/obsession!

PacoPetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 07:30 PM   #10628
JustinWI
Registered Member

Hi All, I'm Justin. New here and new to sw aquaria in general. Been a long time lurker and doing my due diligence for the past year or so. About ready to pull the trigger on an AIO reef tank. Can't decide between the Red Sea Max 170 and the SCA 50 cube EcoTech Marine Edition.

JustinWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 09:22 PM   #10629
swimsree
Registered Member

Hi All, my name is Prabhu and I have been a member here for a while now. I have been keeping freshwater tanks 15 plus year and I am looking into setting up one salt water setup in the next few months!

As of now I have a 225 and 110 gallon freshwater tank. This site has so much information and I have been reading!

swimsree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2018, 02:01 PM   #10630
LauraGreenImp
Registered Member

Hello from Nashville!

I’m going on 7yrs w 150g tall mixed reef, but I got some *extremely* bad advice at first (shoulda done due diligence) and my tank has only been ‘stable’ for abt 3yrs now.

The past few weeks have been ALL ABOUT the sump/protein skimmer,etc. I’m super excited ‘cause I spent a little extra & got cool blue pipes!

This forum (RC) has already been very helpful in that reading various threads has convinced me to NOT get an Achilles Tang (sigh).

I have the ‘Terrible Trio’ who have survived and thrived the whole 7yrs: Yellow Tang, Hippo Tang, Foxface. They’re large and in charge! The 3yr olds: 6 Chromies, lone murderous maroon/gold clown, Diamond Goby (my secret favorite), Filefish (AKA evil acan and clam eater), 4 v social Cleaner Shrimp, one reclusive Fire Shrimp, innumerable tiny hermit crabs.

Future goals: an Anemone for The Murderer. Starfish (heater failure this winter got the previous one). Build rock vertically (got our floor braced 12/17). CORALS.

I have 40+ yrs X w freshwater, esp Disqus, but I’m a sw noob, made the leap shortly after retirement - hubs was silly enough to think this would be an inexpensive hobby. HA!

Looking forward to learning!!
~ Laura

Current Tank Info: 150gT Mixed Reef - help me trap/remove/destroy my hateful Molly Miller Blennys!
LauraGreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 09:01 AM   #10631
paul_89
Registered Member

Hi, I'm Paul, based in NJ, travelling Europe atm. I'm a total newb and decided to try my hand at that after my trip to Thailand. Tried snorkeling at Kata beach and the reefs and the underwater life took my breath away (literally). Staying impressed ever since (Thailand forever in my heart https://tranio.com/photos/adt/92d7b2...9/1024x768.jpg) though I can carry out some preparatory research to start asap when I get home. I've already seen tones of advice for beginners and useful insights, so going to read hard. Thank you for having me!

paul_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2018, 09:00 PM   #10632
Reefer wanna be
Registered Member

Hello RC my name is DT really new to the site I've had a 90 running for 3 plus yrs an just got done putting up 125. 6 foot tank with a esopps 200 an a reef octopus an I'm dieing to figure out how to post my pics of new tank looks better every time I do something with it the sites been very helpful to me so far

Reefer wanna be is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2018, 09:08 PM   #10633
Reefer wanna be
Registered Member

New to site

Hello all my name is DT very new to site I currently just upgraded to 6 ft 125 I'm finding this site very useful. So far only one I can't figure out yet is how to post my pics of my new tank thanks RC

Reefer wanna be is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2018, 07:39 AM   #10634
LauraGreenImp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer wanna be View Post
Hello RC my name is DT really new to the site I've had a 90 running for 3 plus yrs an just got done putting up 125. 6 foot tank with a esopps 200 an a reef octopus an I'm dieing to figure out how to post my pics of new tank looks better every time I do something with it the sites been very helpful to me so far

If you use Tapatalk & an Apple device, you can upload pics straight from your photo gallery. Hope that helps. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Current Tank Info: 150gT Mixed Reef - help me trap/remove/destroy my hateful Molly Miller Blennys!
Unread 03/04/2018, 03:07 PM   #10635
scooterblenn
Registered Member

Hello I'm new here and new to saltwater aquarium and I am looking forward in learning from and and all.

scooterblenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2018, 04:53 PM   #10636
hybridhewitt
Registered Member

Hey there! I am not to the hobby and looking for any pointer and tips you might have for me. I was given a 46 Gallon bow front tank that we are now looking for led lights for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hybridhewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2018, 02:19 AM   #10637
dw969786
Registered Member

Well I have turned to the dark Side recently. After running a high tech planted tank for 3 years I have decided to swap out my CO2 tanks for a protein skimmer on account of my fiancé thinking fresh water fish are ugly and boring. I am a big DIY guy and am looking forward to the knowledge of this community!

dw969786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2018, 06:41 AM   #10638
southpacific
Registered Member

New 10 foot x 800 x 600

Top of the evening to you all.
My name is Dave and iv been Reefing on and off for around 10 years.
Iv just recently set up a 10 foot x 800 x 600 Wide.
I decided to keep it as Reef safe as possible.

I will post some pictures if I can work out how lol.
It’s 3 months old with some cool fish from a Red Sea sailfish tank to a lipstick and as well as a yellow Tang. 1 large pink square back Anthias + 4 lyre tail and a massive zebra Moray with 2 X wild caught orange clowns.

I’m under the understanding that the new issue I wanted to discuss is common with new set ups but I’m starting to worry as almost the whole front of the tank is infestated with Hydroids as well as the water column is full watching them blow around everywhere . It’s been over a week now and it doesn’t seem to be affecting the sps or lps or Fish. So so late st with what to do.
Thank you in advance regardless of what advice.
Thanks Dave

southpacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2018, 07:44 AM   #10639
LauraGreenImp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw969786 View Post
Well I have turned to the dark Side recently. After running a high tech planted tank for 3 years I have decided to swap out my CO2 tanks for a protein skimmer on account of my fiancé thinking fresh water fish are ugly and boring. I am a big DIY guy and am looking forward to the knowledge of this community!

Just pointing out that Disqus are neither ugly nor boring.

There’s just something abt a mixed reef though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Unread 03/05/2018, 08:01 PM   #10640
Midnight_reef
Registered Member

Hi all I been a freshwater keeper for almost 10 year now and I have decided to make the move into saltwater won't likely start a tank into late this year early next year most likely so I hope you guys don't mind me most likely asking dumb questions form a complete noob.

Midnight_reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 08:46 PM   #10641
Jasonbird
Registered Member

Hello from Wichita

New to the hobby. I've had my 75 gallon tank for almost 3 weeks. Looking forward getting through cycle and adding some new fish. Lots to learn.

Jasonbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 03:03 PM   #10642
golfgod3
Registered Member

New to the hobbie but already hooked!

Hello everyone, Im knew here but am loving all the info on here. I am currently running two tanks. My big one is 90 gal with a 3o gallon sump. And my Little is a 40 gal with hang on back cpr refugium. Have had both up now about 3 1/2 months. My big one has two clowns, four yellotail blue damsels, and a jawfish. I have added a couple coral frags the last two days.

My little tank has a maroon clown, a pajama cardinal, and a lawnmower blenny which was added a week ago after i had a hair algea outbreak cause i overfed my clown who always says he is hungry. Lesson learned!

golfgod3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 07:13 AM   #10643
aprabha2611
Registered Member

Hi All,

Happy to join here.....

aprabha2611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 09:06 PM   #10644
Antegon
Registered Member

Long time reader/researcher, finally joined this year, coinciding with my 75gal dream build that has just begun! Very excited to learn from everyone and be involved in the discussion!

Antegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 09:02 AM   #10645
usfive16
Registered Member

Hello.. I just bought a 75 gallon tank last night. I went to the pet store and purchased 3 20 pound bags of live sand which I added. The person I bought it from had live rock already which I'm going to estimate to be over a 100 pounds of it which I added. The only thing I have done so far is mix the water, add the sand and put in the rock. I have a regular hang on the back of the tank filtration system in there along with one heater. I need to know what all I need to start before I add fish. The help and knowledge would be more than greatly appreciated

usfive16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 09:06 AM   #10646
gabe145
Registered Member

I would say I am new again, I only have 25 ish posts but I need to ramp that up so I can purchase things on here.

gabe145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 12:09 AM   #10647
lowtek
Registered Member

New fromthe PNW

Hello all. I'm not really new here but am new to the hobby. Thanks to all of you in advance as I know at least one person that reads this will be the one helping me in the future.

lowtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 05:02 PM   #10648
RTFuller
Registered Member

Hello everyone. I am new here and new to the hobby. I must say I really got in over my head with this fish thing, I think. I really enjoy it but was not very patient when setting my tank up and now have many problems. Not knowing much when I bought my 32 gallon biocube, I asked the store owner at my LFS how many fish can I put in this aquarium. He was like 10 or 12 would be ok. It was a Christmas present for my kids so I needed fish as soon as I could (lacking patience). I waited like a week. Bought 4 damsels. Waited like another month bought a couple pieces of live rock and a nundibranch snail.. After a couple more weeks I bought a puffer, clown, filefish, a tang, to little urchins and a trigger fish. Took triggerfish back after it killed my snail and started fighting with the tang. They gave me 2 crabs and a royal urchin in exchange. Lots of algae. I believe I need more live rock and less fish but I didn't know. Anyways. I've had the royal urchin for just over a week now and it died. Don't know why. My ammonia is always good. I don't have anything to test everything else but will be shipped tommorow. My other urchins are alive and active still. My fish seem to be enjoying life. Im not sure what happened. Help please.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

RTFuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 05:27 PM   #10649
Benny Blenny
Registered Member

Question New guy

Hello, I'm new.

I have a 75 fish only (w/rock) saltwater tank. I recently added a brown tang. He was doing great until I added an Eibl's Angel. It turned out that the Angel had flukes.

Before you say it--I know, I should have used a qt. like I said, I'm new. I won't make that mistake again!

So now the tang has ich. I initially freshwater dipped both fish, but I had to put them right back Into the dt until I get a temporary set up.

Since then, I have moved the tang to a hospital tank. Salinity is at 1.012. Treating with formalin / malachite green. He seems a lot less stressed, and he isn't flashing / scraping anymore. But now he's developed dark spots that come and go. I think these are stress related--not black ich--but I'm not sure on that. I have some prazipro on the way just in case. He is still eating fine.

My plan is to treat him and all other fish until there are no signs of infection (in a hospital tank), and then transfer everyone to a separate large tank, leaving my main dt fallow for 8-10 weeks.

But I have a few questions.

Do I need to take my inverts out too? I have a Sally light foot, a skunk cleaner shrimp, and a few blue leg hermits. No corals (yet!)

In the temporary tank, is it ok to leave it bare--other than pvc pipe for "furniture?"

Is it essential to provide some sand for my diamond goby when he eats out of the column?

Also, is there a better course of treatment than what I'm doing?

Any help I can get ill be appreciated!

Benny Blenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 10:26 AM   #10650
FatRanchu
Registered Member

New from Maryland think of trying a small reef

Hello all!
I have been keeping and breeding Japanese Ranchu goldfish for some time now. I have a whole garage full of empty spare tanks and have been thinking of trying a small reef tank. I'm more interested in the corals than the fish themselves. leaning towards using one of my empty 40 breeders. I don't really have any limitations as fare a budget so I'll be reading a lot and asking for suggestions for primier equipment.
Thank you everyone!

FatRanchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral