Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/12/2016, 01:40 PM   #276
Gringo87
Registered Member

I have already a double cone 200 with af RD3 pump

Gringo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2016, 01:43 PM   #277
Gringo87
Registered Member

but it will not skim.... it wil only make a lots of bubles and fill the cup i have maked this movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j5G98L_Rww

i cleaned the skimmer this sunday becaus it startet filling the cup with water... but now i can drive the pump over 24 watt before the bubbles wil fill the cup with water... before the troubles i was driven with 30 watts and half open pipe

in the video its drive with 26 watts and full open pipe

Gringo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2016, 02:46 PM   #278
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo87 View Post
I have already a double cone 200 with af RD3 pump
Gotcha. Seems your first post is missing. If you have any questions, let me know. FWIW, that skimmer is a bit over sized for your display/load and may not perform as consistently as it should. I would suggest running it wet to maintain best consistency.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2016, 08:26 PM   #279
machodik
Registered Member

Just make my first maintenance of my RD3 of my skimmer. So easy to do and it will give you peace of mind after you did.

Cheers,

MD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90cmx60cmx60cm (420 liters total volume), 12mm thick tampered glass aquariums , Eheim compact +5000, Jns SK2 protein skimmer, T5 x 4 x39 watt (2 blue , 2 white), MP40WES, SEIO 1000, TLF 150 *2 + 550 *1
machodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2016, 08:44 PM   #280
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by machodik View Post
Just make my first maintenance of my RD3 of my skimmer. So easy to do and it will give you peace of mind after you did.

Cheers,

MD

Looks like new! It would be a good idea to add some silicone grease to that o-ring on the nozzle. It will make it much easier to pull the nozzle off for routine salt creep removal and will insure you don't damage the o-ring pulling the nozzle off and putting it back in.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 12/25/2016, 03:55 AM   #281
machodik
Registered Member

Thanks Scott , I have applied some silicon grease and may be too much which make the nozzle slipping out several times until I wipe a little grease off .

But okay now.

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 90cmx60cmx60cm (420 liters total volume), 12mm thick tampered glass aquariums , Eheim compact +5000, Jns SK2 protein skimmer, T5 x 4 x39 watt (2 blue , 2 white), MP40WES, SEIO 1000, TLF 150 *2 + 550 *1
machodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2017, 10:51 AM   #282
cklayko
Registered Member

New BK mini 160 question

Hello - I just go my new BK mini 160, super excited as I've waited a while for it.. I put it in the sump, w/ water level 21cm as directed and fired it up. It is producing bubbles but I can't get the water to the correct internal water level as indicated on the silencer tube. I've slowly turned the wedge pipe 180 degrees each direction to try to find the correct resistance to raise the water level but its not even coming close - its like the pump is undersized. I've pulled the wedge tube to make sure its properly seated etc.. anyone dealt with this issue before? keep in mind this red dragon pump is not adjustable. Thanks Chris

cklayko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2017, 10:58 AM   #283
cklayko
Registered Member

sorry here are some pictures, that might demonstrate better what is going on here...

this is on the low end with the wedge valve opend

this is the highest I can get it with the wedge valve closed

Last edited by cklayko; 01/16/2017 at 11:01 AM. Reason: pictures didn't show...
Unread 01/16/2017, 01:32 PM   #284
Marco@GHLUSA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cklayko View Post
sorry here are some pictures, that might demonstrate better what is going on here...

this is on the low end with the wedge valve opend

this is the highest I can get it with the wedge valve closed
That is saltwater, right?
How long has it been in there, could just be that foreign "materials" such as oils from handling etc. could've changed the surface tension of the water, and is preventing the foam head from forming. Time would eliminate this.

Marco@GHLUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2017, 06:42 PM   #285
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Hello - I just go my new BK mini 160, super excited as I've waited a while for it.. I put it in the sump, w/ water level 21cm as directed and fired it up. It is producing bubbles but I can't get the water to the correct internal water level as indicated on the silencer tube. I've slowly turned the wedge pipe 180 degrees each direction to try to find the correct resistance to raise the water level but its not even coming close - its like the pump is undersized. I've pulled the wedge tube to make sure its properly seated etc.. anyone dealt with this issue before? keep in mind this red dragon pump is not adjustable. Thanks Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco@GHLUSA View Post
That is saltwater, right?
How long has it been in there, could just be that foreign "materials" such as oils from handling etc. could've changed the surface tension of the water, and is preventing the foam head from forming. Time would eliminate this.

+1..

The skimmer will not produce any foam or even decent bubbles in fresh water just in case you are testing it that way. As for the bubble line, it will take a bit of time for the skimmer to settle down after first being setup. Especially if you didn't cheat the skimmer before putting it in the sump. I usually clean my simmer with some vinegar before putting it into the system as there are oils and stuff from manufacturing that will prevent the skimmer for generating good foam for the first 24+ hours. Also, make sure the wedge pipe is seated all the way down into the fitting. If it's not inserted all the way into the fitting at the base of the skimmer, it won't operate properly when it comes to adjust the level inside the skimmer.

Provided it is in salt water, give it a couple days to settle in. Then adjust the line where bubbles turn to foam up to the level line on the skimmer body which is an inch or so below the white part where the collection cup sits on the body. You use the wedge pipe to adjust the level and rest assured, the wedge will do it's job in adjusting the level.

Unread 01/16/2017, 07:59 PM   #286
cklayko
Registered Member

Yes its salt water, 1.025 to be exact. The concern I have is I can't get the water line inside the skimmer above the bubble plate, no matter what adjustments I make. If I take the volute off the front of the pump then I can control the water as you'd expect its like the volute is starving the pump - there is no suction going into the front of the pump with the volute on. With the volute off there is massive suction. What am I missing?

Unread 01/16/2017, 08:51 PM   #287
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Yes its salt water, 1.025 to be exact. The concern I have is I can't get the water line inside the skimmer above the bubble plate, no matter what adjustments I make. If I take the volute off the front of the pump then I can control the water as you'd expect its like the volute is starving the pump - there is no suction going into the front of the pump with the volute on. With the volute off there is massive suction. What am I missing?
How long has the skimmer been in the tank? Did you buy it new?

You say you can't get the water level above the bubble plate? I assume you are talking about the base of the skimmer? If so, it sounds like the water is escaping the skimmer and or the wedge pipe isn't all the way in which would allow the water to free flow out of the skimmer. You say when you take the volute off you can control the flow of the skimmer?? The volute is the cover that goes on the front of the pump. The n Do you mean nozzle? That is the part that goes through the skimmer body and into the volute. The nozzle shouldn't impact the flow that much. When you remove the nozzle, you are removing the air flow into the skimmer which will send more water into the skimmer instead of a mix of water and air. That will raise the level in the skimmer.

I would suggest removing the nozzle and inspecting it for obstructions. If there is nothing inside the volute that would obstruct the flow, take the skimmer apart and remove the pump cover (volute) and insert the nozzle into the volute and make sure it's not sticking out beyond the cover on the inside surface which it shouldn't be. If I had to guess, the wedge pipe isn't all the way down into the base where it slides into which is allowing water to free flow out of the skimmer.

\

Unread 01/16/2017, 09:44 PM   #288
cklayko
Registered Member

Comments In Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
How long has the skimmer been in the tank? Did you buy it new?

*** Yes bought it brand new (took 4.5mo from order to receipt)

You say you can't get the water level above the bubble plate? I assume you are talking about the base of the skimmer? If so, it sounds like the water is escaping the skimmer and or the wedge pipe isn't all the way in which would allow the water to free flow out of the skimmer.

*** I have taken the skimmer out, checked the wedge pipe and it is all the way down.

You say when you take the volute off you can control the flow of the skimmer?? The volute is the cover that goes on the front of the pump. The n Do you mean nozzle? That is the part that goes through the skimmer body and into the volute. The nozzle shouldn't impact the flow that much. When you remove the nozzle, you are removing the air flow into the skimmer which will send more water into the skimmer instead of a mix of water and air. That will raise the level in the skimmer.

***yes I mean the nozzle, there is no suction under water at the front of the nozzle. There is plenty of suction on the air pipe, if I plug the air tube water rises quickly. If I take the nozzle off the water rises very very fast.

I would suggest removing the nozzle and inspecting it for obstructions. If there is nothing inside the volute that would obstruct the flow, take the skimmer apart and remove the pump cover (volute) and insert the nozzle into the volute and make sure it's not sticking out beyond the cover on the inside surface which it shouldn't be. If I had to guess, the wedge pipe isn't all the way down into the base where it slides into which is allowing water to free flow out of the skimmer.

***I agree it seems like the wedge is letting a ton of water out, but when I checked its all the way down and when I put my hand underneath the exhaust there is very very little flow.

\

Unread 01/16/2017, 09:52 PM   #289
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Comments In Line
Key question that has not been answered. How long has the skimmer been in the tank?

The fact that it's sucking lots of air means the skimmer pump is working properly. Given the wedge is all the way down, I suspect there are some chemicals on the skimmer due to a lack of cleaning before it went in that is inhibiting proper foam fractioning. This is very common and when it happens, the skimmer will not make foam and the level inside the skimmer will be lower than normal. It's one of those things that can take a few days before the skimmer will work properly and I'd suggest you give it a couple days. I was able to look at the photos above by pasting them into my browser since they don't show up in your post. It looks the skimmer just needs to settle in due to something in the water impacting the surface tension such as something on the skimmer from manufacturing. I always run new skimmers in a bucket with vinegar diluted in water to clean them before putting them in a system and this is one of the reasons why I do that. I'd bet in 24-48 hours, it will be working much better.

Last edited by slief; 01/16/2017 at 09:57 PM.
Unread 01/16/2017, 11:02 PM   #290
cklayko
Registered Member

ok thanks for the calming reassurance. I'll keep you posted!

Unread 01/19/2017, 08:09 PM   #291
badfinger
Registered Member

I have a 200DC on order and will be here Tuesday..... so excited.....

How deep of water should it be in? And what speed? For 150 gallon tank

badfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2017, 08:19 PM   #292
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfinger View Post
I have a 200DC on order and will be here Tuesday..... so excited.....

How deep of water should it be in? And what speed? For 150 gallon tank
I'd suggest starting at 8.5" and 28-32 watts.

Unread 01/19/2017, 09:46 PM   #293
badfinger
Registered Member

Slief, I would like to thank you for all your answers. You have been very helpful and the one that has made it so I only wanted a bubble king.

Unread 01/19/2017, 10:33 PM   #294
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Slief, I would like to thank you for all your answers. You have been very helpful and the one that has made it so I only wanted a bubble king.
Very glad to help!

Unread 01/29/2017, 04:35 AM   #295
badfinger
Registered Member

Got my skimmer Tuesday. Set it up, let it "overflow" for 2 days.

Have it 8.5" deep, had it set at 32 watts. I was getting a tea colored skim. Never got a froth of foam.

Went to 30 watts yesterday still no froth. Everytime I would feed at both of these settings it would skim extra wet when I would feed.

2 hours ago I put it at 28 watts, and let the froth begin. I cleaned the cup so I can gage what the true color of skim I am getting. But what I am seeing I am loving.

You are correct the lower the speed the thicker froth it creates

Unread 01/29/2017, 09:41 AM   #296
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Got my skimmer Tuesday. Set it up, let it "overflow" for 2 days.

Have it 8.5" deep, had it set at 32 watts. I was getting a tea colored skim. Never got a froth of foam.

Went to 30 watts yesterday still no froth. Everytime I would feed at both of these settings it would skim extra wet when I would feed.

2 hours ago I put it at 28 watts, and let the froth begin. I cleaned the cup so I can gage what the true color of skim I am getting. But what I am seeing I am loving.

You are correct the lower the speed the thicker froth it creates
Great to hear!

Unread 01/31/2017, 07:56 PM   #297
badfinger
Registered Member

So have my skimmer setup 1 week. I know I (apparently ) have a light load. I can't get it to put skim in the cup. Before this is had a vertex alpha 200 /red dragon pump. Same size neck and it would pull out consistent skim every day.

My fish list:
1-sailfin tang -4"
1-yellow tang-4"
1-rabbit fish-4"
1- magnificent foxface-4"
1-tonos wrasse-3"
1-midas blenny- 3"
1-Leppard wrasse-3"
1-Lubbock wrasse-2"
1-red margin wrasse-2"
1-Pintail wrasse-1.5"
2-chromis-1.5"
3-fire fish-1"

My goal is to have 5-6 big fishow, and 20 smaller fish.

Did I make a bad choice and should have gone with the dc180? Should I sell, and buy a 180 instead

I have good foam. 8.5" of water, running 28 watts.

What should I do?

Unread 01/31/2017, 10:45 PM   #298
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
So have my skimmer setup 1 week. I know I (apparently ) have a light load. I can't get it to put skim in the cup. Before this is had a vertex alpha 200 /red dragon pump. Same size neck and it would pull out consistent skim every day.

My fish list:
1-sailfin tang -4"
1-yellow tang-4"
1-rabbit fish-4"
1- magnificent foxface-4"
1-tonos wrasse-3"
1-midas blenny- 3"
1-Leppard wrasse-3"
1-Lubbock wrasse-2"
1-red margin wrasse-2"
1-Pintail wrasse-1.5"
2-chromis-1.5"
3-fire fish-1"

My goal is to have 5-6 big fishow, and 20 smaller fish.

Did I make a bad choice and should have gone with the dc180? Should I sell, and buy a 180 instead

I have good foam. 8.5" of water, running 28 watts.

What should I do?

If you have good foam then the answer is simple.. You need to adjust the skimmer more wet. Raise the foam level (line where bubbles turn to foam) up further in the neck by closing the wedge pipe or raise the sump level up to 9".

Unread 01/31/2017, 10:57 PM   #299
badfinger
Registered Member

I plan on lowering it to 9" this weekend..

I also forgot I have 1- anthias- 2.5".... I plan on getting 3-5 more in the next 2 weeks

Could I be aiming for too wet of a skim? As in could I have the water level in the neck soo high it is "wetting" the foam too much? To where it won't go over?

Unread 02/01/2017, 10:06 AM   #300
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I plan on lowering it to 9" this weekend..

I also forgot I have 1- anthias- 2.5".... I plan on getting 3-5 more in the next 2 weeks

Could I be aiming for too wet of a skim? As in could I have the water level in the neck soo high it is "wetting" the foam too much? To where it won't go over?
Not really. We skimming just means the foam level is closer to the edge of the neck which in turn results in more skimmate entering the cup. You skimmer is just now completing the break in process and you are still in the fine tuning stages. It's producing good foam at the moment so you just need to get that foam to spill over into the cup in the form of skimmate. Raising the level will get it there. Since your load is relatively low for this skimmer, your foam will tend to be wetter anyway. It's the proteins in the water that allow the bubbles to stick together and create good foam. In the absence of enough proteins, you can't produce enough dense foam. When you raise the level of the foam line, you reduce the amount of space or volume in the neck needed for foam to reach the top edge of the neck and there by decrease the amount of dissolved organics needed to keep the skimmer producing consistently. When you lower the skimmer deeper in the sump, be prepared to open the wedge pipe up a bit as the level inside the skimmer will rise a fair amount. The good thing is that by having the skimmer in deeper water, the wedge pipe will become more effective for you and you will be able to fine tune the skimmer level easier using the wedge pipe. As the load increases in the display, you will likely need to open the wedge pipe up some to lower the level inside the skimmer. This is because the higher the concentration of dissolved organics that are available to the skimmer, the higher the level will get inside the skimmer due to the bubbles wanting to stick together and rise to the surface more while also creating denser foam.