Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/20/2018, 11:25 AM   #1
oldhead
Registered Member

clove polyps

When I bought my Urchin he came with clove polyps stuck to him. I've been debating on taking them off and placing on the back glass or maybe the overflow box. I'm still amazed at the stuff the urchin picks up. Had to rescue a snail from his back twice.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2018, 12:17 PM   #2
davocean
Registered Member

Clove polyps were one of the most invasive things I've ever put in my tank, just FYI

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2018, 05:12 PM   #3
oldhead
Registered Member

Yeah, I’ve been reading that. The ones on my urchin are pretty cool looking. I figured if they weren’t on the rocks they wouldn’t spread too much. Kinda like keeping gsp on the back glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 06/20/2018, 05:50 PM   #4
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Blue Clove polyps are the absolute worst, but some of the other varieties are pretty easy to manage IME. If it's the latter here I would definitely remove them from the Urchin and place them somewhere else in the tank. If it's the former remove them ASAP and keep your eyes peeled for more.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 06:23 AM   #5
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSimmons View Post
Blue Clove polyps are the absolute worst, but some of the other varieties are pretty easy to manage IME. If it's the latter here I would definitely remove them from the Urchin and place them somewhere else in the tank. If it's the former remove them ASAP and keep your eyes peeled for more.
I want to say they are green, I'll have to take a good look tonight.

Unread 06/21/2018, 08:18 AM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

Yeah the ones I had could never be contained, they float around the entire tank and eventually cover most everything

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 06/21/2018, 03:42 PM   #7
thegrun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSimmons View Post
+1, the Blue Cloves are virtually impossible to keep under control, but I would be hesitant to add any to my tank.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 04:47 PM   #8
davocean
Registered Member

I'm so tarnished by that experience I won't even buy frags from anyone that has them in their tank.

Unread 06/21/2018, 04:56 PM   #9
AlSimmons
Registered Member

My tank is littered with white spots where I've tried to smother small patches here & there with epoxy. What's really bad about those BCP is when they start popping up in those hard to reach places. I just had a rock with about 30+ Tubbs Blue polyps on it yet the BCP were everywhere in between. I fragged what I could and through the rock away.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote