Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2018, 09:40 PM   #1
mravindralall
Registered Member

Anthias issue

Please help, what Happened to my Anthias, water parameters all ok.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

mravindralall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 10:23 PM   #2
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Maybe bacterial, pseudomonas or aeromonas. Hard to see with that photo.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 10:59 PM   #3
mravindralall
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVfishguy View Post
Maybe bacterial, pseudomonas or aeromonas. Hard to see with that photo.
That's the best pic I could capture

Unread 06/21/2018, 11:12 PM   #4
mravindralall
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mravindralall View Post
That's the best pic I could capture

Some more pics

Unread 06/22/2018, 08:22 AM   #5
oldhead
Registered Member

Looks really thin. How long have you had it and how often do you feed? Some need to eat three times a day.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 08:41 AM   #6
mravindralall
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhead View Post
Looks really thin. How long have you had it and how often do you feed? Some need to eat three times a day.
Twice a day

Unread 06/22/2018, 09:27 AM   #7
daviesp007
Registered Member

oldhead is correct, Anthias need to be fed often, and I would recommend at least 3 times per day. They are usually very excitable around feeding time. This does not explain damage to the gills though, and we'd need more information about your inhabitants / tank setup. From the picture, it could be a parasite that has caused this, or it could be bullying from another fish. How many anthers do you have in the tank? It's typical to keep either an individual male, or a male with 3+ females.

Having said all that, it would be prudent to pull this one out of the display tank, and put it in a quarantine tank (please remember to use a cycled QT, or pull some live rock out of the DT)., and treat it with Metroplex.

daviesp007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 09:59 AM   #8
davocean
Registered Member

Possibly uronema, post in disease forum for more opinions.

Anthia are very prone to uronema

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 10:09 AM   #9
mravindralall
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesp007 View Post
oldhead is correct, Anthias need to be fed often, and I would recommend at least 3 times per day. They are usually very excitable around feeding time. This does not explain damage to the gills though, and we'd need more information about your inhabitants / tank setup. From the picture, it could be a parasite that has caused this, or it could be bullying from another fish. How many anthers do you have in the tank? It's typical to keep either an individual male, or a male with 3+ females.

Having said all that, it would be prudent to pull this one out of the display tank, and put it in a quarantine tank (please remember to use a cycled QT, or pull some live rock out of the DT)., and treat it with Metroplex.
Single, I don't have qurantine tank hence moved him to sump so that he is not disturbed by others, have observed in day that neon damsel disturbing him

Unread 06/22/2018, 12:12 PM   #10
davocean
Registered Member

Due to being prone to uronema it is especially important to qt anthia, and that sore at gills gives me suspicion, but again I'd post where people that recognize disease better for other opinions.

I agree anthia require multiple daily feedings, but I don't think that's your issue

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 06/22/2018, 12:25 PM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
Due to being prone to uronema it is especially important to qt anthia, and that sore at gills gives me suspicion, but again I'd post where people that recognize disease better for other opinions.

I agree anthia require multiple daily feedings, but I don't think that's your issue
In complete agreement. Not likely feeding, more likely uronema or even marine tuberculosis. Anthias, along with chromis, are highly susceptible.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 12:34 PM   #12
mravindralall
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
In complete agreement. Not likely feeding, more likely uronema or even marine tuberculosis. Anthias, along with chromis, are highly susceptible.
Thanks guys I moved it to sump, please recommend a remedy, poor creature is in pain

Unread 06/22/2018, 12:38 PM   #13
davocean
Registered Member

Sump connects to rest of tank/fish, I would remove it for the better of tank inhabitants

Unread 06/22/2018, 01:19 PM   #14
hkgar
Registered Member

Check in at the Reef Disease forum

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 02:55 PM   #15
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by mravindralall View Post
Thanks guys I moved it to sump, please recommend a remedy, poor creature is in pain

You'd have to treat in a hospital tank, with chloroquine phosphate and likely an antibiotic. Once body ulcerations get that bad prognosis is very poor. I run all my anthias (and damsels/chromis) through QT precisely for uronema. If they display body ulcerations I do always attempt treatments. Works if they are not large open sores, not otherwise. I'd be inclined to euthanize at that point.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 10:20 PM   #16
mravindralall
Registered Member

Thanks guys for the support, however today morning I lost him, seems it tore it's Gill cover.