Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/23/2018, 09:31 PM   #1
sankoi
Registered Member

Swapping to bigger tank from 29g to 75g with sump

So as title says I will be swapping my 29g Biocube tomorrow to a cube 75 gallon tank with eshopps sump. My question is could I consider the additional water as a 60% water change which I have done before? I have a 4 inch sand bed. So I'll be able to put in cycled sand enough to cover the new tank. I've had bigger tanks but I have never done such a big jump in water column. So yeah, I'm over my head. Help?!

Ofcourse I would prefer not to have to cycle the new tank to avoid Wife Aggro which is also part of new tank syndrome.

sankoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 09:52 PM   #2
Bpb
Registered Member

I feel like using the old sand will cause a pretty significant nutrient bomb. Either way moving a tank will cause at the very least a mini cycle when you disturb all the anaerobic zones. Have some bacteria on hand to dose. Either some biodigest or at the very least some micro bacter 7 along with a little vodka. Even if you don’t intend to bacteria and carbon dose long term, it’ll help minimize the effect and time period of the cycle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 07:04 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Ive upgraded a few times by simply filling up the new tank with saltwater and well rinsed dry sand...then i simply move all rock/fish/coral into that new tank...Ive never had any cycling/ammonia issues doing it that way.

I would not reuse a 4"deep sand bed without just rinsing all the sand really well and letting it dry in the sun....you can always just transfer over everything but the sand then rinse/dry the sand then add it to the tank when its done. . You shouldnt have any problems or a cycle doing it that way but will cloud up the water some which is fine

Unread 06/26/2018, 08:25 PM   #4
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

I did my 30g to 75g (plus sump) upgrade a few years ago as Mcgyyr described. I did have the new setup running for a couple of weeks before moving the final pieces of rock, coral, and livestock. Had to alomost completely drain the old tank to catch my then 18 year old clown. I hope I never need to move her again!

I did not reuse substrate.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote