Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/25/2018, 11:43 AM   #1
Skittlz
Registered Member

Unhappy I think I need help

Okay,
So I'm freaking out a little, been doing this for a while but had to go on a vacation after a deployment and came back to a missing chromis, and a Coral beauty 😥, tested and all levels are good. But then I noticed my new bubble tip is TURNING INSIDE OUT! The man that was house sitting did an amazing job but we did kind of throw him off the deep end with the tank.
What do I need to do? Do I just say farewell?
I included pics of the tank as it just woke up and pics of the nem as well.
Any guidance would be awesome.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVIMG_20180625_122443_exported_6810674077464856761.jpg (73.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg MVIMG_20180625_124110.jpg (55.1 KB, 49 views)
Skittlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 02:51 PM   #2
Skittlz
Registered Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlz View Post
Okay,
So I'm freaking out a little, been doing this for a while but had to go on a vacation after a deployment and came back to a missing chromis, and a Coral beauty 😥, tested and all levels are good. But then I noticed my new bubble tip is TURNING INSIDE OUT! The man that was house sitting did an amazing job but we did kind of throw him off the deep end with the tank.
What do I need to do? Do I just say farewell?
I included pics of the tank as it just woke up and pics of the nem as well.
Any guidance would be awesome.
more info
levels:
salinity: the proper 1.025
pH: 8.2 (i might buff, but not before i get this under control)
ammonia: .25
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20-40
phos: .25 (! adding phosguard after i get this under control)
calcium: 450

and the lights i have are:
2x Galaxyhydro Led 55x3w Dimmable 165w Full Spectrum LED Aquarium Light for Reef Coral & Fish
in a custom hood i built i know i need to upgrade but they have been working for the past year i keep them dimmed to ensure i dont bleach anything.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank.jpg (94.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg hood.jpg (59.2 KB, 20 views)
Unread 06/25/2018, 02:57 PM   #3
homer1475
Registered Member

Ammonia is a concern. A fully cycled tank should never have anything but 0. Of course this could be attributed to the recent deaths you cannot find. Or if your using the API kit. it's notorious for showing a trace amount when there is really none.

Alkalinity and magnesium levels?

8.2 PH is totally fine and buffering is not needed. Nitrates are a tad high IMO.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 03:02 PM   #4
Skittlz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Ammonia is a concern. A fully cycled tank should never have anything but 0. Of course this could be attributed to the recent deaths you cannot find. Or if your using the API kit. it's notorious for showing a trace amount when there is really none.

Alkalinity and magnesium levels?

8.2 PH is totally fine and buffering is not needed. Nitrates are a tad high IMO.
I am using an API kit, i just tested the tanks no3 again and it read 10ppm after letting it stand for 5-10 mins... the BTA might have just been harassed from the clowns... its not big enough to support them yet and i think they beat the crap out of it. its not eating and i dont want to stress it more.

Unread 06/25/2018, 05:21 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlz View Post
its not eating
Or it is eating... hence the missing fish..

Everything seems fine besides that and the tank looks just fine... nothing to be done but chalk it up to life and move forward..

Unread 06/25/2018, 08:44 PM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

Wish pics were better(and my eyes not blurry from cataract exam/dialated..)

Anyway, I see one nem far right that looks fine, but close up nem shot is mushy, is it the same nem different shots?

How long have you had nem?
How long tank running?
Do you have natural non blue light pics?

Close up is a nem either splitting, or mushing, hard to say from here.

A new nem is best not spot fed, and what did you feed?(Really under good light never needs spot feeding)

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 09:18 PM   #7
Skittlz
Registered Member

The one that looks good is a nem that I've had for a long time but not a BTA, the BTA is so small you cannot see it unless I close up on it. I can't seem to get a quality pic that is small enough in size to upload... It's about the size of a 50 cent peice.

Unread 06/27/2018, 03:10 PM   #8
Sk8r
RC Mod

Run carbon and do a 30% water change as soon as you can organize it. When you don't know/can't figure what's the matter, a water change helps. So does carbon. It's possible the chromis demised, the nem ate the chromis and is now on the way to splitting. I'd also dose a little Prime or Amquel (ammonia ridder.)

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone dying, help 60