Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/25/2018, 12:01 PM   #1
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

When should I run my gfo

ok so in my 90 gallon 3 months in I have a yellow tank and a couple zoas..

just some brown diatoms at this stage and its starting to starve. No hair algae.

I have a dual reactor and only running carbon.. When should i start thinking of running GFO?

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 12:43 PM   #2
scooter31707
Registered Member

I turns mine on when my phosphates gets in the range of 0.13-.50

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 02:23 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyrawg View Post
. When should i start thinking of running GFO?
When you have a real phosphate "problem".. Or excessive phosphate also accompanied by a nuisance algae problem.....

Which could likely be never if you don't overfeed and don't have phosphates leaching from your rock (common with Pukani)..

Whats "excessive" you ask.. Well... Thats a tough question to ask and why I included the "accompanied by a nuisance algae problem"..
Many people have phosphate levels WELL in excess of commonly accepted levels around here without any issue at all..

Please watch this to see "whats up with phosphate" and pay attention to the levels his tanks are running at..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRIKW-9d2xI

Unread 06/25/2018, 02:37 PM   #4
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
When you have a real phosphate "problem".. Or excessive phosphate also accompanied by a nuisance algae problem.....

Which could likely be never if you don't overfeed and don't have phosphates leaching from your rock (common with Pukani)..

Whats "excessive" you ask.. Well... Thats a tough question to ask and why I included the "accompanied by a nuisance algae problem"..
Many people have phosphate levels WELL in excess of commonly accepted levels around here without any issue at all..

Please watch this to see "whats up with phosphate" and pay attention to the levels his tanks are running at..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRIKW-9d2xI
LOL @ when he says when actually this is the devil and shows the Tanked guys ...

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote