Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/31/2006, 09:35 PM   #1
cgjw2000
Registered Member

Flooding in my family room

I have a 72 bow all-glass with a built in mega flow. We lost power for over 15 hours in my area and the water kept coming down the drain pipe even thought there was no funnel. I took the drain pipe off and glued all the loose joints but small amounts of water keep coming down. The drain pipe is adjustable and I suspect water is getting through the small space left to adjust the pipe’s length (male/female joint). Has anybody experienced this situation? What have you done to fix it? Please advise, I loose power whenever there is a major storm (rain/snow/wind).

Your help will help me keep my hobby and my wife’s hard wood floors shining…

cgjw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2006, 09:44 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

The overflow is defective or is missing some seal, maybe. Is it still under any warranty? If you don't mind not being able to adjust the height, perhaps gluing that joint would do the trick.

Unread 07/31/2006, 09:55 PM   #3
dp122098
Registered Member

You should be able to have the overflow completely empty when the pump isn't turned on. If the Overflow doesn't empty then you are in for a lot of trouble because you will have to empty the tank to find out where the leak is then seal it with silicone.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon Tank, 75 Gallon Sump, SeasideAquatics ES2 Skimmer, 8xT5 Sun System Tek Fixture, Dolphin Reflo Return, 2xMP40w
dp122098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2006, 10:41 PM   #4
newreefbishop
Premium Member

I am hoping that you leak tested tank before filling.... Also is the an acrylyc or glass tank....

As DP said if the overflow wont completely empty you need to find the where the leak is only way to do that is "complete water change".

Not a good prospect U say because you definately nee to let the silicon cure property to support weight of the water....

The 65 is gone the 110 is in, click the red house for the 110. *Updated

Current Tank Info: 110 gal R/R AGA with 40 gallon DIY fuge/sump, 2 AI Sol Blue LED modules, RKL system, Vortech Powerheads, Softies, LPS and SPS. Fox Face, Coral Beauty, Goby, a mated pair of Midnight Black Photon Clowns, BTA, Sebae and small critters everywhere
newreefbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2006, 12:29 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

This isa MegaFlow style overflow. It doesn't empty the same way most overflows do. Google it to see what I mean.

Unread 08/01/2006, 08:08 PM   #6
cgjw2000
Registered Member

Yeah, it does not empty all the way and water keeps coming into the overflow through the bottom. The overflow has two walls one that lets water come at the bottom, middle and top. When the pump is off water stops coming in through the top but still comes in little by little through the other wholes. I hope this is normal... it looks like it is. I guess the solution is in gluing the adjustable portion of the drain pipe... I will try that and see if this works... thank you.. I did not test for leaks but its the pipe that is letting water through.

Unread 08/01/2006, 08:51 PM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod

I think that's your safest choice.

Unread 08/01/2006, 08:53 PM   #8
cgjw2000
Registered Member

Thank you

Unread 08/01/2006, 09:13 PM   #9
jprince58
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cgjw2000
Yeah, it does not empty all the way and water keeps coming into the overflow through the bottom. The overflow has two walls one that lets water come at the bottom, middle and top. When the pump is off water stops coming in through the top but still comes in little by little through the other wholes. I hope this is normal... it looks like it is. I guess the solution is in gluing the adjustable portion of the drain pipe... I will try that and see if this works... thank you.. I did not test for leaks but its the pipe that is letting water through.
I have one of these tanks and have had no problems since setting it up. The perferations in the outer wall of the MegaFlow allow it to gather water at three different levels in the tank. The inner wall should **NOT** have any holes...only the comb at the top. When the pump is off, it will continue to drain until the anti-siphon holes in the Durso pipe begin sucking air. At that point, you should have no further water flow. Even if you don't have a good seal on the Durso pipe, it should only drain what little water is in the overflow chamber. If water is still flowing into the overflow chamber of the MegaFlow from the tank, you have some issues with your tank that need to be addressed.

Jeff Prince

Current Tank Info: 72g bow mixed reef; 40g frag
jprince58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2006, 09:34 PM   #10
bertoni
RC Mod

Hmm, that's a good observation. These overflows are more complicated than I realized. Hmm, short of draining the tank, I think you're going to be stick gluing the tube, though.

Unread 08/02/2006, 06:45 AM   #11
MJAnderson
Premium Member

I have the same setup and don't have a problem. Two thoughts. Empty the overflow drain completely (I empty my sump then let the water flow into it when I remove my standpipe). Once it's drained, stick the return hose into a cup/bucket. If it continues (that is it never stops completely) to drain water, your "inner overflow" has a bad seal. If it does stop, then it's the standpipe. Go glue crazy or get a new one. I think the whole setup is $40.

Just to make sure of the obvious, are you sure it's the drain pipe and not the return pipe?

MJAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote