Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/02/2019, 05:20 PM   #1
drdavethedude
Premium Member

6095 problem

Hello,
I came back from vacation and noticed one of my 6095s cycling on and off. It had a lot of algae on it so I soaked it in vinegar overnight and cleaned it. Hooked it up and it's still doing it....on for 1 sec, and then off for 10 sec, then repeat. What does this mean? The pump seems physically ok, don't see any damage.
Thanks,
Dave

drdavethedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2019, 07:55 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It can mean it is jammed, and generally you will only get the pump clean if you break it down to drive unit, motor, propeller housing and soak the separate parts, when soaked assembled the space between the drive unit and motor is too tight to be cleaned, little to know vinegar will enter the tight spaces.

It can also mean it is a failing motor or power supply, motors tend to last 7 years approx, power supplies 4-5. If the power supply is overheating that can be a cause, for example it is too close to something else that is very warm.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2019, 08:59 AM   #3
drdavethedude
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
It can mean it is jammed, and generally you will only get the pump clean if you break it down to drive unit, motor, propeller housing and soak the separate parts, when soaked assembled the space between the drive unit and motor is too tight to be cleaned, little to know vinegar will enter the tight spaces.

It can also mean it is a failing motor or power supply, motors tend to last 7 years approx, power supplies 4-5. If the power supply is overheating that can be a cause, for example it is too close to something else that is very warm.
I soaked it with the drive unit separate, trying to understand...the propeller comes off the drive unit and should be soaked separately?
Also, how can I tell if its the power supply or the motor...my pumps probably are about 6 years old.
Thanks

Unread 05/03/2019, 09:09 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The drive unit is the propeller and magnet as a unit, but they should not be stuck to the metal shaft which should be a permanent part of the motor that the drive unit spins on.

I generally try another power supply and if that does not solve it, replace the motor, you would need to have another power supply but any of them would work, the larger one from a 6105 for example, you can even use an Osmolator power supply very briefly and running dry to reduce the load.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 06/27/2019, 06:20 PM   #5
drdavethedude
Premium Member

So I asked a retailer to order me a new motor unit (tried Xenia but they are VERY bad at returning emails) Reading some of related threads here I came across the 6055.740 part, and that their absence can cause similar issues with the pump.
I have never seen these on my 6095s, is it hidden somewhere, or was it not a part of the 6095s a few years ago. A little confused.

Dave

Unread 06/28/2019, 08:19 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It is down in the pump at the base of the shaft, if your pump is very old, one of the first, in place of 6055.740 you would have 6025.740. If you look down in the pump with a flashlight you should see it.