Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Military Reefers Group
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/30/2016, 12:08 AM   #1
kurtymac
Registered Member

New Here

Hey all, I am a disabled veteran. Long story short, I was medically discharged 2 months ago when a tumor was found in my spine! It was an instant show stopper to my 8 years of service, 4 being an Officer. I am having a lot of difficulty adjusting to civilian life and am looking at getting back into saltwater fish again. Do any of you have any advice on brands of tanks or where I could find a decent deal? I rather take some advice than get ripped off or buy a poorly put together aquarium. I think I would like to stay between a 90gal-125gal.
Thanks for the advice and thank you all for your service!

Last edited by kurtymac; 04/30/2016 at 12:15 AM.
kurtymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2016, 10:42 AM   #2
gunther13mt
Starting to help others

I personally like Aqueon aquariums idk if they come that big though i have a 55 gallon myself along with a 10 gallon that im starting as my quarantine tank. I picked mine up at petco but im sure you could probably order bigger ones online. Thank you for your service

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

55 gal, salinity 1.024, temp 80.4-81, 2 True Clown, 1 Watchman Goby, 1 Engineer goby, 2 cleaner shrimp, 3 astrea snails, 3 nassruai snails, 4 emerald crabs,1 sand shifting sea star, 1 condy, 1 fire fi
gunther13mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2016, 10:29 PM   #3
kurtymac
Registered Member

Thank You, I will check it out.

Unread 05/10/2016, 11:34 AM   #4
KingMare
Registered Member

I'm also new

KingMare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2016, 11:56 AM   #5
Deefish714
Registered Member

Ive always had my tanks built by advanced acrylics. They will customize about everything known in the hobby. John is probable one of the easiest guys to work with and his customer service is superb. Really depends on what your willing to spend. freighting might be expensive in this case.I started with a cadlights from the lfs. They were built to rock with everything need and made everything pretty easy for me. A little on the pricey side but you get everything you need like a package deal. You will also find very good deals here on reef central with local pick up. This might be worth the wait. there's several options I suggest you explore and take your time read up here and really plan your build. patients here is the key from what I've learned. We appreciate you service!

Unread 05/10/2016, 01:56 PM   #6
Breadman03
New Old School

Where are you located? You might find some good local resources. I'm in Northeast PA.

Check out: Forums>Reef Clubs>Pick Your Region

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2016, 04:14 PM   #7
spscrackhead
Registered Member

Welcome to RC!
I would second checking what is available local you you. Check in with your LFS, quality is easy to see but hard to fake. I also recommend checking craigslist and your local club thread.

Unread 05/14/2016, 10:25 PM   #8
kurtymac
Registered Member

Thank you all for responding back! I have been debating on anything from 100gal to 150gal. I did check my LFC, but they didn't have anything that really stuck out to me. I was looking at the Red Sea Reefer 525 XL or the SCA 150gal. These are very expensive, I can afford it. Is it really worth dropping that much cash. I am not too sure. I did check craigslist, unfortunately there is nothing on there that really sticks out. Most of the tanks and stands look beat up, or are too small or too large. Right now I am in Alabama, not too far from Benning.

Unread 06/02/2016, 07:29 PM   #9
gunther13mt
Starting to help others

For that sizes you will pay a pretty penny. The Aqueon tanks are sometimes on sale for a dollar a gallon at petco. Cheap way to do quality is great but they arent as big as youd like. I personally think my tank is worth every dime i have spent. They are expensive though and more so if they arent takin care of 100% as fish are expensive as well.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

55 gal, salinity 1.024, temp 80.4-81, 2 True Clown, 1 Watchman Goby, 1 Engineer goby, 2 cleaner shrimp, 3 astrea snails, 3 nassruai snails, 4 emerald crabs,1 sand shifting sea star, 1 condy, 1 fire fi
gunther13mt is offline   Reply With Quote