Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2018, 09:51 PM   #1
ctripi
Registered Member

Water line / freeboard(?)

Planning a rimless cube with a low profile/ghost overflow. How far below the rim should I plan the water line below the rim.
Tank volume is gonna be in 40-50 range, sump flow thru in the 250-300gph range and it’s a 16” wide overflow (almost coast to coast) with 1” weir teeth.
Gonna use 2 mp40’s for sps levels of flow.
Thoughts?

ctripi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 10:11 PM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

That depends on how much water you want on the floor during the next earthquake! Here in California I really prefer a euro-braced tank for just that reason. The euro-brace will not stop all the water but they help significantly in reducing the amount of water that escapes during an earthquake. All that water has a big time potential for causing a fire when it hits your electrical equipment below.
As to your question I would keep it at least 1" below the surface. That 1" also seems to keep most of the snails from climbing out of your tank.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 04:58 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

IMO 1.25" is perfect on a rimless..

The turbulence from a powerhead can easily push the water up 3/4-1" or more

Unread 03/22/2018, 08:46 AM   #4
jmm
Registered Member

I liked the look of frameless aquariums and bought one. The water level was about one inch below the edge. Water would overflow the edge when I (carefully) cleaned the glass with magnets or scrapers. Fish jumped out. I had to be careful with the return to make sure it didn't cause a wave to overflow. I put a mesh top on to keep the fish from jumping. It looked no better than a framed tank. The frame on the top was just as distracting as the frame on a conventional tank. So, I took it off and kept only corals in the tank. They don't jump.

So I designed my own rimless tank. I made it a little taller than I had originally planned and put the overflow lower. There is about four and a half inches of glass above the water line. I don't need a top to keep the fish in. I can have all the surface turbulence I want with no danger of drips overflowing. And I can park my magnets above the water line in a back corner where no coralline algae can grow on them. I really like the way it looks and works.

Originally skeptical, the aquarium store and tank builders liked it enough to build several more than way since then.

jmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 11:34 AM   #5
Volcmreefer
Registered Member

I agree with 1.25”.

Volcmreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 02:44 PM   #6
ssky
Registered Member

I say go 1 5/8 of an inch. Has to be perfect.

ssky is offline   Reply With Quote