Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/30/2014, 03:09 PM   #1426
foundnemo11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markois View Post
Hello, i have a 48x24x24 tank and i was wondering if a photon 32" was enough to light all the tank. Do i need 120° optics or are the 90° optics ok?
I know the 48" version exists but i think too much light will be 'out' of the tank due to the fact that both tank and photon have exactly the same size.

I have the 48 over my 75 48x18 and it's perfect no light spillage due to the optics

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon mixed reef, mostly sps, bubble magnus skimmer nac5, Reefbreeders Photon48, hippo tang, kole tang, 2 clownfish, 3 chromis, 1 cleaner wrasse, 1 cleaner shrimp, crabs/snails
foundnemo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 10:23 PM   #1427
Chicago
Registered Member

Ok. I got some of the it2080 last year. Recently some of the units are losing brightness on the blue only channels one unit lost all LEDs not starting up. Almost like on 10 or 20 percent when set to 100 percent. Thoughts.

Current Tank Info: 500 gal starphire, reef sps dominated, 40 plus fish, 300 gallon sump in basement below, reeftek calcium reactor, reeftek kalkwasser reactor, lifeguard fluidized filter for rowaphose, 4 400MH 10k xm, 2 160 vho super attinic, DYI 50 gallon denitrator
Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 10:49 PM   #1428
Mikefromaz
Registered Member

Its hard to believe that all blue LEDS would fail at the same time. My thpugjts ate focusing on the blue channel contfoller. Pehaps you can test the voltage at one of the failed LEDS and compare it with the same reading/level of a working lamp. If the voltage is low, it's likely the source ( controll), if the voltage is normal then it is likely the lamp.

Mikefromaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2014, 08:20 AM   #1429
Chicago
Registered Member

I had one unit where that string.. as I call it.. failed completely. I notice last week that on my other 4 units... the same string of leds are not bright. It is the same Leds on all the same units.. I have 6 of these units. Ones is still running perfectly with all bright at 100 percent dialed in. So I am thinking driver fail or? thoughts

Current Tank Info: 500 gal starphire, reef sps dominated, 40 plus fish, 300 gallon sump in basement below, reeftek calcium reactor, reeftek kalkwasser reactor, lifeguard fluidized filter for rowaphose, 4 400MH 10k xm, 2 160 vho super attinic, DYI 50 gallon denitrator
Unread 12/27/2014, 09:01 AM   #1430
Chicago
Registered Member

Mike. Controller and not driver ?

Unread 12/27/2014, 09:49 AM   #1431
Mikefromaz
Registered Member

Hmmmm.....not having schematic for your unit, I took my best shot. Is there an individual driver for each blue LED or is there a single driver for each color string? One for the reds, whites, blues etc? The drivers are the switches, but ultimately the intensity and timing is determined by a control circuit of some sort. If whole strings of similar color fail especially at the same time, to my way of looking at it it's not likely to be the LEDS. I have heard of LEDS failing in units continually run at 100% but they usually wink out one at a time. If you feel comfortable working on circuits keeping in mind that there is 120VAC present, try comparing the source voltage in a good color circuit to a bad one. At some point you will see a noticable difference. If you aren' t comfortable perhaps the best way to go is to contact the manufacturer. They are your best resource. Either way SAFETY should be your prime concern.

Unread 12/27/2014, 08:11 PM   #1432
Chicago
Registered Member

Yep three drivers. One for channel 1 all blues . Channel 2 is mix of blues and whites red and green. Channel 3 driver 3. Is three blue moon lights.

Unread 01/02/2015, 07:30 AM   #1433
Chicago
Registered Member

Evergrow suggest i change up drivers in unit to see if it is a driver. Is it pretty easy to swap out the drivers ?

Unread 01/30/2015, 05:37 PM   #1434
MacPhisto
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
Evergrow suggest i change up drivers in unit to see if it is a driver. Is it pretty easy to swap out the drivers ?
Yes, if you have a phillipshead screwdriver it's a 15 minute job..

MacPhisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2015, 06:27 AM   #1435
Chicago
Registered Member

surgery on these units later tonight.. will post the results..

Unread 02/23/2015, 04:47 PM   #1436
awhedbee22
Registered Member

So after reading this thread, I have learned alot about the RB. I currently have two 32" Photons with whatever the stock optics are over my 48(l)x36(w)x14(h) frag tank that has a Screen Cover. The lights are hung about 18"-20" from the top of the water.

Some zoas on the bottom egg crate are looking as if they are getting burnt. The skirts are shriveled and almost non-existent. I run the blues at max 60% and whites 2% at the height of the day.

Couple Questions:
1. Should I strip all optics and go 120 degree since I have such a shallow and large tank?
2. Should I lower the lights?
3. Should I remove all the red or some of the UV? (Im not a fan of the pink/purple look, and feel my other systems have done well without UV)
4. Any other recommendations?

awhedbee22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 11:52 PM   #1437
Mikefromaz
Registered Member

Awhedbee22.... I am running a Photon24 on a 30" tank, suspended ten inches above the water. I ordered the 120 deg. optics. At.my peak photo period of four hours I run 25% blue and 21% white. If you are concerned about too much light, drop the output level (pethaps half of your output level) for a few days. It won't hurt the zoas. If they open up more then you can slowly bring the level back until they cringe from too much light. I have bleached corals with my light. It is easier than you think with these lights.

Unread 02/24/2015, 11:56 AM   #1438
mpierce
Registered Member

I honestly don't think you are giving your corals enough light and thats why they are shriveling. I keep my LEDs about 10 inches above the water and I run significantly higher levels. 75% blues and 50% whites and still working them up to higher intensity. I think there was this big scare that LED would burn your corals that people are running them too low. Try slowly working the intensity up over a few weeks and see if there is improvement.

120 - RETIRED
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2015, 03:18 PM   #1439
Mikefromaz
Registered Member

My corals are doing great at the levels I am using. I can understand hih levels for SPS, clams etc. Most zoas don't need bright light. Anyway wavelengths aside, there is a "band" of PAR level acceptability which shows itself in all photosynthetic coral. Corals..zoas included will expand more under low light levels. This is a simple attempt to have more light collecting area. If the light remains too low for too long they will likely lose their coloration. If the PAR is too high, coral will tend to turn brown in an attempt to shield their zooxanthelic bacteria. Ultimatley they will expel them due to over production of oxygen and sugars. There is a definite light window in which the corals thrive per species and depth in the ocean. Lowering the lights a bit for a few days will show whether present light levels are too high.

Unread 06/03/2015, 08:05 PM   #1440
menkalos
Registered Member

I keep seeing the question, but haven't seen the answer yet. I have an IT2081, and I understand that you can detach the built-in controller and hook it to an Apex. Has anyone done this? If so, how? Thanks!

Dave

menkalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2015, 09:50 PM   #1441
Mikefromaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpierce View Post
I honestly don't think you are giving your corals enough light and thats why they are shriveling. I keep my LEDs about 10 inches above the water and I run significantly higher levels. 75% blues and 50% whites and still working them up to higher intensity. I think there was this big scare that LED would burn your corals that people are running them too low. Try slowly working the intensity up over a few weeks and see if there is improvement.
Mpierce........ kind of a belated response, but I meant to ask you what type of light fixtures you are using? My Reefbreeders Photon 24 is also 10 in. above the water, but I havent gone above 27/21% on my 29 gal. tank. Whadya think?

Unread 08/29/2015, 10:47 AM   #1442
FishhyRen
Registered Member

reviving

I'm going to revive this thread-
I've seen a couple people ask about connecting multiple units together-

Is the new D120 (with Wifi) basically the same as the IT2040 but without a touch interface?
I saw a "data link kit" to connect multiple IT2040s together to get around sync issues with times, etc.

I am wondering if one IT2040 could have two D120W Slaves? It would seem possible if the internals are wired the same way-

Has anyone connected multiple to one controller on this thread?

Beckett Mod Skimmer
AmpMaster 3000 Pump

Current Tank Info: 125Gal AGA 55Gal sump/refugium, 1070W lighting, AM3000 return, 6100Stream
FishhyRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2015, 10:49 AM   #1443
jrp1588
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishhyRen View Post
I'm going to revive this thread-
I've seen a couple people ask about connecting multiple units together-

Is the new D120 (with Wifi) basically the same as the IT2040 but without a touch interface?
I saw a "data link kit" to connect multiple IT2040s together to get around sync issues with times, etc.

I am wondering if one IT2040 could have two D120W Slaves? It would seem possible if the internals are wired the same way-

Has anyone connected multiple to one controller on this thread?
I purchased the link kit that ReefBreeders sells. I ended up returning it because the final installation looks very sloppy. It would work well for an in-cabinet setup though.

jrp1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2015, 07:07 AM   #1444
A.Astore
Registered Member

Does anyone have an answer as to whether the Reefbreeders Photon 48 is canopy mountable? We originally had no concerns with a canopy but recently switched our tank choice to one a 120 gallon with canopy so now we are in need of revising the light approach.

A.Astore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2015, 12:28 PM   #1445
FishhyRen
Registered Member

It depends on your canopy-
If you don't want to cut the top of your canopy for the fans, you need to leave some space above for them.
I used blocks made of two stacked 2x4s and mounted rails to them.
My canopy is home-made and I might have put it slightly higher, but I wanted the touch screens to be easy access. It worked out pretty well with all my wires tucked neatly up there too. I only wish I had a place to add additional t5s to the front w/out blocking the touch screens and without putting on the hinged area.

Beckett Mod Skimmer
AmpMaster 3000 Pump

Current Tank Info: 125Gal AGA 55Gal sump/refugium, 1070W lighting, AM3000 return, 6100Stream
FishhyRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2017, 08:38 AM   #1446
ser_renely
Registered Member

I have the original Photon 16...is there any kit out there where I can mount it on my tank? I currently having it hanging but that will not be possible in fureture for me :-\

I have found a few things out there, but they are about 150$ and at that point I would just but a new light kit that does tank mount.

I have a 23.5 cube.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ser

Current Tank Info: 60g Cube, 15g sump/fuge,Tunze 9010 skimmer, Reefbreeders Photon 16" - 2 Osc. Clowns,2 Lyretail Anthias, Blue Chromis, mp20, mp10....another DAMN pistol shrimp!
ser_renely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2017, 04:30 AM   #1447
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I've seen some make their own. IMHO you would be far better off starting a new thread in the DIY section rather than tagging on to the tail end of this huge and very old one.

Unread 03/21/2018, 06:39 PM   #1448
Saintnovakai
Registered Member

Just got D120 and need your help guys

Hey Ron. Im all the way in Jamaica and just received my Evergrow D120 lights. I noticed they dont really give that coral pop im expecting and to me all the blues look the same. Not sure if the nanometer range varies. I would really like to know what your customization of the leds is if youd be so kind? Like what new leds to order and where exactly they should go. Im a reef newb so ill give the light out to be resoldered after I buy the additional leds. Thanks brother.

Saintnovakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2018, 07:58 AM   #1449
[]V[]addog
Registered Member

I just picked up an evergrow IT2060 - I'm wondering about changing out some of the 90 degree optics for something wider for some of the colors other thank blue and white
anyone else do that, and where did you purchase your optics
Thanks

[]V[]addog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2018, 06:38 AM   #1450
Fietsenrex
Registered Member

The big question to me is.
Is a IT5080 usable in a closed canopy tank?
I’m planning on a 100gal 35” long tank with mainly soft and LPS corals, maybe SPS in the future.

Fietsenrex is offline   Reply With Quote