Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/13/2018, 03:48 PM   #1
VoltzNSalt
In Memoriam

QUESTION: Vectra L1 died - going with the Abyzz A200

So my Vectra L1 died after 7 months as Vectras will so I am going with the Abyzz A200 as a replacement. I currently have the sump plumbed for the Vectra (1 1/2" bulkhead) and running it externally. I am not going to redrill my sump for the 2" Abyzz intake (I would have to do it in place) so I am going to run it submersed in my sump. That takes care of the 2" intake issue, however all of my return and manifold plumbing is 1" to accommodate the Vectra - the Abyzz is 1 1/2" output.

Here is where I need a sanity check. The head height from the sump to DT for the Abyzz will be approx. 6 feet. It is rated for 28.6 feet. Reducing from 1 1/2" to 1" should not be an issue...

Correct?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by VoltzNSalt; 03/13/2018 at 04:23 PM.
VoltzNSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 11:45 PM   #2
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Did you contact ecotech? I believe there is a revision on the L1, you may want to check with them.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 02:07 AM   #3
hersheyb
Registered Member

yup check with ecotech.. pump is still under warranty...

hersheyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 05:34 AM   #4
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

If you are going to spend $1500 on a Abyzz then I would want to get the most out of the pump, which you will never get with a 2" intake and a 1" return. FYI the Vectra should be under warranty, I have had my vectra replaced by Ecotech now 4 times

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 05:58 AM   #5
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
FYI the Vectra should be under warranty, I have had my vectra replaced by Ecotech now 4 times

This isn't a very glowing review of the vectra, and hundreds of posts like these have kept me away from buying one. Yes Ecotech's CS is second to none(have dealt with them plenty of times with my vortechs), but I would rather have a reliable product that doesn't need the excellent CS.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 06:36 AM   #6
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
This isn't a very glowing review of the vectra, and hundreds of posts like these have kept me away from buying one. Yes Ecotech's CS is second to none(have dealt with them plenty of times with my vortechs), but I would rather have a reliable product that doesn't need the excellent CS.
Agree with you 100%. I would have moved on to another pump if it was used to run anything but the closed loop on my tank (not critical to have running all the time) It is very annoying to have to call and talk to CS and get a new pump sent to me and also returning the defective one. On the other hand I know of several people who have Abyzz and have experienced their fair share of problems with them (controller issues)

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Unread 03/14/2018, 07:24 AM   #7
VoltzNSalt
In Memoriam

Yes, the Vectra is still under warranty and I will be contacting ecotech for a replacement but I will not be using another one for my return pump - upgrade or not, I just don't trust it.

Quote:
If you are going to spend $1500 on a Abyzz then I would want to get the most out of the pump, which you will never get with a 2" intake and a 1" return. FYI the Vectra should be under warranty, I have had my vectra replaced by Ecotech now 4 times
Understood, but anything other than another Vectra that is large enough for my 210 gallon tank (ReeFlo dart/snapper hybrid or the Abyzz) all have the 2", 1 1/2" intake/output config so the Abyzz makes the most sense because it can be submerged and that solves my sump plumbing issue.

Quote:
I have G3 Radions and 2 MP40's that have performed flawlessly for over 3 years which is why I went with the Vectra. Like you, I have seen the hundreds of posts about it dying so I absolutely will not be installing another one just so I can replace it again and again and again...

Unread 03/14/2018, 08:03 AM   #8
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

If you are not looking for crazy flow I would look for Red Dragon Speedy 80 Watt.
They are not made anymore but I have seen a few on the For Sale Forum.
I run my 250 with it

Unread 03/14/2018, 08:16 AM   #9
marinelife
Registered Member

I sold my L1 after it stopped a second time. It's not worth having a pump down so much.
I used mine on a closed loop.

I replaced the L1 with an A200 and I would recommend redoing your return line. 1" will work but you will have to run the pump at 50% or less. It will vibrate like crazy if there is too much back pressure.
I did have an issue after a month with the controller. Coralvue did replace it and so far it been working great but I still have 9.5 years left on the warranty if there is ever another issue.
The Red Dragon is also a good pump, I have on of those as well.

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 08:18 AM   #10
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

There is a revision for the L1 - which appears to be the model with issues (my M1 has been running for over 2 1/2 years without any issues, though as closed loop rather than a return). Hard for me to see why anyone would pay $1,500 plus for a return pump though. A good AC pump will give you even better reliability, and any cost savings from running the Abyzz will take 40 years to payback anyhow . Pumps like PanWorld, of if silence is required, the Fluval SP series.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 08:36 AM   #11
marinelife
Registered Member

As far as I know, the L1 is the only pump with issues.

The larger panworld and Iwaki pumps are not as quiet and when you have your tank in your living room you need quiet pumps. I have used their pumps in the past and they are built to last.

I also like the ability to adjust the flow with a touch of a button.
I will be changing out my return for an Abyzz or Red Dragon sometime.

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 09:23 AM   #12
VoltzNSalt
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinelife View Post
I replaced the L1 with an A200 and I would recommend redoing your return line. 1" will work but you will have to run the pump at 50% or less. It will vibrate like crazy if there is too much back pressure.
I just got done re-plumping everything in 1" and added a 4 port manifold to drive my reactors and UV - don't have a whole lot of appetite for ripping it all out and doing it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Hard for me to see why anyone would pay $1,500 plus for a return pump though.
10 year warranty = reliability in my mind. How much is my time worth (and peace of mind) having to replace a return pump every few months? See below regardimg the AC pump...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinelife View Post
The larger panworld and Iwaki pumps are not as quiet and when you have your tank in your living room you need quiet pumps. I have used their pumps in the past and they are built to last.
I had an Iwaki MD70-RLT prior to doing the rebuild and adding the manifold. Never had a single issue with it but I didn't think it would have enough flow for both the return and the manifold so I stepped up to the 3100 gph Vectra.

It is a bit loud but I built my stand myself and added a lot of sound proofing to it. Plus I have been playing the drums for over 40 years and have a constant cymbal crash going in my right ear (tinnitus) so the sound of the pump was nothing

I think I will look into the MD100-RLT. I can cap off my 1 1/2" bulkhead in my sump and go back to my 1". Again, my only concern is whether it will have the gph needed to drive my manifold as well as keep my dursos from slurping...

I haven't seen an AC pump with 1 1/2" intake and 1" output...

Unread 03/14/2018, 09:48 AM   #13
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
I have had my vectra replaced by Ecotech now 4 times
Were any of them the updated version?

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 09:57 AM   #14
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltzNSalt View Post
.I have been playing the drums for over 40 years and have a constant cymbal crash going in my right ear (tinnitus) so the sound of the pump was nothing
I hear you, or don't ...... Too many rock concerts as a youth so my tank always seem quiet to me.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 10:08 AM   #15
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
but I would rather have a reliable product that doesn't need the excellent CS.
Thats why I went with a Jebao DCP
Still running strong 1 year later.. zero maintenance on it..
Its now white as its covered with spirorbid worms

Unread 03/14/2018, 03:58 PM   #16
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

The RD3 Speedy 80 Watt is a 1" output.

Unread 03/14/2018, 05:10 PM   #17
mako61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Thats why I went with a Jebao DCP
Still running strong 1 year later.. zero maintenance on it..
Its now white as its covered with spirorbid worms
for $1500 you can get about a dozen Jebaos

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 06:25 PM   #18
D-Nak
Registered Member

I have a Vectra M1 was that replaced by Ecotech once. I was planning to get a L1 for another build but saw so many bad reviews I held off.

Have any of you looked into the Sunpole pumps that Marine Depot sells, rebranded as AquaMaxx Magnus? They have the VSB-12000 which is rated at 3170 GPH.

Unread 03/14/2018, 08:03 PM   #19
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Were any of them the updated version?
I have no idea. The last time was about 3 months ago or so I had one replaced. No markings on the pump at all this time around.

Unread 03/16/2018, 01:31 PM   #20
BrettDS
Registered Member

QUESTION: Vectra L1 died - going with the Abyzz A200

For what it’s worth, if you’re redoing some plumbing and replacing your pump anyway you might want to go with dual return pumps.

After I had a return pump failure several years ago I decided to use two return pumps when I set up my 220G tank. I have two Jebao DC12000 pumps that normally run at 80%. If one of them fails the remaining one will keep the water circulating and keep things alive until I can get it replaced... even if I’m not home at the time. In the event of a failure I can kick the one that is still running up to 100% so the tank runs close to normal and getting a replacement pump isn’t an emergency.

So far in more than two years I haven’t had a return pump failure, but I did have a case where I had a GFCI trip while I was on vacation 1200 miles from home. I have two dedicated circuits at the tank and I keep one pump plugged into each circuit. I also have two heaters, and again, keep one in each and have my lights split between the two circuits.

When the GFCI tripped my apex notified me and I was able to check on the system with my webcam to make sure that water was still moving and everything looked OK. Once I verified that I was able to let the tank continue running like that for 3 or 4 days until I got home to reset the GFCI.

Last edited by BrettDS; 03/16/2018 at 01:37 PM.
BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 07:14 PM   #21
mfinn
Registered Member

When my second L1 went out, I replaced it with a Red Dragon 3 150 watt pump.

Unread 03/17/2018, 08:10 AM   #22
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinn View Post
When my second L1 went out, I replaced it with a Red Dragon 3 150 watt pump.
I want to do the same thing... it’s just easier right now for me to spend $1 and wait for Ecotech to send me a new pump every 9 months or so than spending $1400 on a new pump currently... oh and I would also like to spend $1700 on a new supermarin 250. This hobby and the money we spend!

Unread 03/17/2018, 08:21 AM   #23
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
I want to do the same thing... it’s just easier right now for me to spend $1 and wait for Ecotech to send me a new pump every 9 months or so than spending $1400 on a new pump currently... oh and I would also like to spend $1700 on a new supermarin 250. This hobby and the money we spend!
I can understand completely.
I just happened to have a job at the time that brought in extra money.
The change over actually cost much more.
I swapped out the M1 return pump ( which worked perfectly fine) for the RD3 80 watt pump.

Unread 03/17/2018, 09:01 AM   #24
FFFishy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltzNSalt View Post
So my Vectra L1 died after 7 months as Vectras will so I am going with the Abyzz A200 as a replacement. I currently have the sump plumbed for the Vectra (1 1/2" bulkhead) and running it externally. I am not going to redrill my sump for the 2" Abyzz intake (I would have to do it in place) so I am going to run it submersed in my sump. That takes care of the 2" intake issue, however all of my return and manifold plumbing is 1" to accommodate the Vectra - the Abyzz is 1 1/2" output.

Here is where I need a sanity check. The head height from the sump to DT for the Abyzz will be approx. 6 feet. It is rated for 28.6 feet. Reducing from 1 1/2" to 1" should not be an issue...

Correct?

Thanks for the help!
The Abyzz A200 is a fantastic pump. Mine has been running internally for almost two years. I'm using 1" plumbing on the output side. My sump is in the basement and I've got 8 feet of height plus 12 feet of horizontal travel. It's all SpaFlex without any fittings. I run the Abyzz at 80%. No problems at all. I do have a 2" 90-degree elbow, facing down, on the input side to avoid making a vortex and sucking air into the pump. I've also got an Abyzz A100 driving my Life Reef Skimmer. These pumps are quiet, powerfull, energy efficient, and expensive . . . but you get what you pay for.

FFFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 07:39 PM   #25
SumptyDumpty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDS View Post
For what it’s worth, if you’re redoing some plumbing and replacing your pump anyway you might want to go with dual return pumps.

After I had a return pump failure several years ago I decided to use two return pumps when I set up my 220G tank. I have two Jebao DC12000 pumps that normally run at 80%. If one of them fails the remaining one will keep the water circulating and keep things alive until I can get it replaced... even if I’m not home at the time. In the event of a failure I can kick the one that is still running up to 100% so the tank runs close to normal and getting a replacement pump isn’t an emergency.

Do you run the two on separate return lines or two connected two a "Y" with check valves?

I was obsessed with the quiet sound from the Vectra M1 and the calibration mode which is supposed to go to a governed low on the feed mode.
Water would just be coming in to the display without going backwards.

I never thought of your version.
I like it!
Most of my DC pump sump projects were running on 50-75% to where the pump harmonics sounded best (quiet) as well as kept cool enough on the products transformer.

Someday I will build "the big one" and use your 2 pump method.
I may no longer need to base my project off the quiet VectraM1 and its low feed mode calibration setting.
You sir, made my day today.

SumptyDumpty is offline   Reply With Quote