Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2018, 02:07 PM   #1
MuShu
Registered Member

40B sump refugium need guidance

I know enough to know that I know just enough to screw this up royally.

I'm getting a 180 tank. I have a 40 breeder to use as a sump. I am planning to get the hang-on acrylic sock holders. I would like to use more space for a refugium and ditch the skimmer all together. I have several wrasses, and I would like more and a mandarin down the line.

I know I need a section for the return pump and a divider to keep the chaeto out of the return.

Do I need baffles? Or will just one divider do? How high should it be? I'm planning on low-tech, so no reactors or dosers.

MuShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 03:43 PM   #2
Lsufan
Registered Member

It’s hard to say for sure without knowing more about your system. Things like the type of drains, overflow & how your returns are plumbed. Some types of drains make more bubbles then others. So if u have a bunch of bubbles coming from your drain u may want atleast a under/ over bubble trap before the refugium, then just a single baffle inbetween the fuge & return. If u have a syphon drain that doesn’t make bubbles & u want to go the route of no skimmer, then u could have one big section entering the sump & have a under/ over bubble trap separating the fuge & return.

As far as baffle height, it depends how your returns are plumbed & on your overflow to a extent. A 40 breeder sump is as about as small as u can get on a 180 dt & have enough room for the water that drains to the sump when u turn the return off. U can figure pretty close to what that would be but not with the info u provided. U definitely don’t want to make the baffles to tall & not have the room in the sump for the extra water.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 05:02 PM   #3
MuShu
Registered Member

That's actually helpful info. Thanks!

It's the stock tank with the corner overflows, but the LFS guy is going to plumb it. All I know is that it's going to drain into filter socks. Height of baffles is my big concern.

MuShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 07:09 PM   #4
Stickboy97
Registered Member

To be honest, I don't think a 40b is big enough for a 180g. One of the main things you need is the space in the sump for all the water to run into. I have a 40g on my 105g and when I turn the pump off, it fills it to the top. My baffles are about 10" high.

So unless you make your baffles 6" or so, your sump is gonna overflow.

I would go at least 50g but 75g would be better.

Unread 03/18/2018, 07:31 PM   #5
Lsufan
Registered Member

Preferably, I would want the baffles about 10” tall. If u did that it should leave u with around 15 to 16 extra gallons in the sump. If u only drain about 2” from the dt when the return turns off that would be around 11 gallons. Plus the water in the plumbing & overflow box would put u around 13 gallons. So in that scenario it would be ok but it would be about as close to comfort as I would want to get, which is why I used 10” baffle for the reference.

The size of your overflow, the type of drains & most importantly how your returns are plumbed & located will affect that scenario. From the sounds of it u should be able to make it work, but u need to figure how much will drain to the sump to know for sure.

Last edited by Lsufan; 03/18/2018 at 07:43 PM.
Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 07:00 AM   #6
Apotack
Registered Member

Get a longer sump

Current Tank Info: 125gal
Apotack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 11:41 AM   #7
allykahn
Registered Member

I used a 40 long for my 180.

allykahn is offline   Reply With Quote