Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Military Reefers Group
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/22/2014, 08:34 AM   #1
philr21
Registered Member

Overseas and need setup help

Hi everyone. Signed up for this site because I need some help. I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank, and a drilled 125 gallon (both rear corners drilled and plumbed for both intake and out).

I inherited this aquarium, unsure size, around 40 gallons I think. I can't for the life of me figure out how to plumb it. It has a single hole drilled in it. At first it seemed to be a no-brainer, plumb from the sump that was included to the back of the tank and over. The problem is the side of the sump is drilled as well. So somehow I have to match from the pump, to the side of the sump, to up and over. To complicate matters I live in Japan where all the PVC sizes are different?

So the tank has sat in the house for several months now as I have no idea of where to go from here. I've included some pics so you can see what I am working with. I already have a pump. Not looking to do anything fancy, just basic plumbing for a saltwater fish or lobster (yes, wife likes keeping spiny lobsters) tank.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3752.jpg (32.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3754.jpg (37.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3755.jpg (32.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3758.jpg (32.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3759.jpg (87.7 KB, 8 views)
philr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2014, 09:33 AM   #2
philr21
Registered Member

Any advice on how to get this thing plumbed so I can set up is appreciated.

Unread 12/22/2014, 12:20 PM   #3
jayg4u
Registered Member

Hey I will try to help. That grey plumbing with the ball valve on the side of your sump is for your return pump. I am not sure what brand pump you have, but whatever was on that before was an external pump. In your tank you have a cylinder overflow tube...that should be plumb to your sump. simple pvc with a ball valve should get you there. you will need to put mesh to cover the top to keep fish out of there. You should replumb everything to make sure you have confindence is your equipment. Hope that helped alittle.

jayg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2014, 03:53 PM   #4
philr21
Registered Member

Actually this does help. I have a Rio pump to sit inside the sump, never realized there were external pumps. Return is easy, now have to figure out a pump for this thing.

Any recommendations? Pros/Cons to external pump? Either have to order a different sump or new pump.

Unread 12/24/2014, 05:11 PM   #5
LowHangingFruit
Registered Member

I am also in Japan (Yokota) and I just order everything from bulkreefsupply. Shipping sucks but you can get the size plumbing you want. Where in Japan are you located?

LowHangingFruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2014, 08:21 AM   #6
philr21
Registered Member

Hi. Will check them out. Found out from the aquarium shop in Yokosuka that they use a plumbing piece to run the flow from the pump to the aquarium actually inside the return pipe. Here's a pic as that may help explain a bit more. They sell the parts I need so actually may not be as difficult as it seemed. Then I can block off the side of the sump and use my internal pump I already have.

Here is the piece they are using:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3763.jpg (34.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3761.jpg (60.8 KB, 8 views)