Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/12/2020, 10:06 AM   #1
thislittlefisho
Registered Member

best Nano Reef species

I’m interested in doing a nano reef tank. Which are the best species to consider? I read this one and thought it made sense. Are these fish really good for nano tanks? Any to specifically avoid? I see inconsistent information on websites, so wanted to ask the pros in here! I'm looking into doing one about 25-30 gallons for my smaller office space where I work all day.

thislittlefisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2020, 04:00 PM   #2
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Barnacle Blennies! Ridiculously cute and very entertaining in groups, which you could have in that sized tank.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2020, 10:00 PM   #3
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

clownfish (ocellaris or percs) are always a good add. Don't opt for other species that get bigger and/or more aggressive.
yellow watchman gobies are great...a lid or screen is a must have to prevent jumpers
yellow-tailed damsels are the only safe damsels I've found. I've kept many tanks (nano or otherwise) in the last 13 years and the only fish I've seen yellow-tailed damsels fight is another yellow-tailed damsel. Don't try 3 in a 120g...they will fight. 1 in any size tank is a good add.
blue or green chromis are like the damsels. Get one and enjoy it. They're active, pretty, cheap and don't cause problems.
Cherub Angel - I had a good experience in a 30 cube with one. if you get it, skip the yellow-tailed damsel. They look a lot alike. I'm not sure if they'd beat up on eachother, but it's not worth the risk. Also, in a nano, you don't get to add a lot of fish. Even if they don't fight, why have two fish with the same color pattern?
Coris or Flasher Wrasse. Tons of activity with these guys. Snails are safe IME, shrimp are at risk. I'm not sure about hermits, but I don't keep them since they kill snails

There are a few others that I'm blanking on, but those are pretty safe choices. Stick with a pair of clowns, a goby and 2 other fish and you'll be safe for a 30'ish gal tank. More than that and it'll be a little crowded and look more like a fish tank than a reef tank.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2020, 09:11 AM   #4
Zionas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody6766 View Post
clownfish (ocellaris or percs) are always a good add. Don't opt for other species that get bigger and/or more aggressive.
yellow watchman gobies are great...a lid or screen is a must have to prevent jumpers
yellow-tailed damsels are the only safe damsels I've found. I've kept many tanks (nano or otherwise) in the last 13 years and the only fish I've seen yellow-tailed damsels fight is another yellow-tailed damsel. Don't try 3 in a 120g...they will fight. 1 in any size tank is a good add.
blue or green chromis are like the damsels. Get one and enjoy it. They're active, pretty, cheap and don't cause problems.
Cherub Angel - I had a good experience in a 30 cube with one. if you get it, skip the yellow-tailed damsel. They look a lot alike. I'm not sure if they'd beat up on eachother, but it's not worth the risk. Also, in a nano, you don't get to add a lot of fish. Even if they don't fight, why have two fish with the same color pattern?
Coris or Flasher Wrasse. Tons of activity with these guys. Snails are safe IME, shrimp are at risk. I'm not sure about hermits, but I don't keep them since they kill snails

There are a few others that I'm blanking on, but those are pretty safe choices. Stick with a pair of clowns, a goby and 2 other fish and you'll be safe for a 30'ish gal tank. More than that and it'll be a little crowded and look more like a fish tank than a reef tank.

If the OP wants a pygmy angel he can opt for a Flameback or Fisher’s instead.

I’d also add that smaller blennies like the Bicolor and Tail Spot make great nano additions.

Basslets like the Royal Gramma, Swissguard, Swales, Blackcap.

Assessors: Yellow, McNeill’s, Randall’s (rarest).

I’ve heard mixed reports about the Clown Gobies. Many just seem overly fragile and refuse to eat, wither away and perish at the slightest commotion.

Zionas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2020, 09:17 AM   #5
Zionas
Registered Member

I would be cautious about having an Assessor and a Gramma in a 30 gal. Choose one out of the two.

Blue Chromis get to 5”, a bit too large IMO. C. viridis stays at 4”.

There are also some other rarer Chromis species.

As for Damselfish if OP wants something even more peaceful than a Yellowtail you can consider the Azure, Talbot’s, Rolland’s, Springer’s or a Starckii if you can find one.

Some smaller wrasses also work. This includes Fairy and Flasher Wrasses in the 3-4” range, the Pink Streak and Possum Wrasses get to a max of 2.5” I think.

If you get the Clown pair and a goby and you don’t mind a second perching fish (albeit with lots of personality), then go for a Bicolor / Tail Spot Blenny.

If you want a Hawkfish but don’t want to risk the aggression in a 30 gal, you could look into a Geometric Pygmy Perchlet. Technically they’re classified as an Anthias but they’re closer to Hawkfish in every way than Anthias.

Pajama Cardinals are yet another option, or even a Flame Cardinal that gets to 4”. PJs generally get to 3-3.5” I think.

Captive Bred (and only captive bred) Bangaii Cardinals can also work. Justin make sure to not add 2 unless you know they’re a mated pair. Personally I’d rather have 3 different fish apart from the Ocellaris pair rather than another pair of fish.

The real decision is, once you have a pair of Clowns, do you want more fish in the water column or are you okay with one or even two perching fish?

Unread 08/13/2020, 09:51 AM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

For a nano, concentrate on compatible small gobies and blennies. Do NOT consider a mandarin or other dragonet, which are falsely labeled as such. The mandarin goby is not a goby and would starve to death; the scooter blenny ditto. Not a blenny and would starve in a day. Their only food is tens of thousands of near-microscopic critters a day, and even the rare mandy that will eat pellet is not for a nano.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2020, 10:51 AM   #7
Zionas
Registered Member

Second this. DO NOT get a Mandarin or Scooter Blenny. They’re dragonettes not gobies/ blennies. Bicolor, Tail Spot, Linear etc. are true blennies and suitable for your tank.

If you can get them from ORA, you could also look into some Fang Blennies (Meiacanthus sp.). They’re smaller than the Midas which gets to 6” and would be too large for your tank. There is a look alike in the Ecsenius genus (that contains the Bicolor, Midas, Tailspot, Linear etc.) from the Red Sea, forgot its exact name but it resembles a Fang Blenny.

For gobies avoid the sand sifters, many starve to death and never learn to take captive fare. Stick with something in the Cryptocentrus, Amblyeoteorsis, Asterropryx, and Stongobiops genuses. Unless Captive Bred from ORA or another source I’d also steer clear of Clown Gobies. Too many are emaciated and just don’t eat well. If you really want one make sure it’s eating well at the LFS.

You could consider 2 blennies for this tank, though don’t take my word as gospel. If you decide to do two blennies, 1 perching Blenny from the Ecsenius genus (Bicolor, Tail Spot, Linear etc.) and 1 swimming blenny from the Meiacanthus genus. Hopefully they won’t bother each other.

Last edited by Zionas; 08/13/2020 at 10:56 AM.
Unread 08/13/2020, 11:24 AM   #8
Sk8r
RC Mod

Two of the cutest gobies for a nano are stonogobiops high-fin redstripe. They burrow and sand sift a bit, but they will readily eat food that drifts by. Once they decide you're not a hungry grouper hanging out nearby they will come out and show off.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2020, 01:03 PM   #9
wsboyette
Registered Member

It is possible to keep a ORA Mandarin without pods in the tank; as their tank-raised Mandarins are conditioned to eat frozen and pellet food. I am seriously considering one for my fish-only tank.

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon Fish-Only With Dry Rock, Filtration: Aquamaxx HOB Filter/Skimmer & Aqua-Tech 30-60 300 GPH HOB Motor Filter, Livestock: Coral Beauty and Maroon Clown
wsboyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2020, 04:17 PM   #10
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Quote:
Do NOT consider a mandarin or other dragonet, which are falsely labeled as such. The mandarin goby is not a goby and would starve to death; the scooter blenny ditto. Not a blenny and would starve in a day. Their only food is tens of thousands of near-microscopic critters a day, and even the rare mandy that will eat pellet is not for a nano.
I completely agree with this. I've heard too many stories about the captive bred ones not reliably doing well. I'm not sure how they're doing now days, but they still weren't cut out for small tanks when they hit the market. I wouldn't consider one for anything less than a mature 4' tank...or a very large cube (90+).

I'd also avoid clown gobies. When they're healthy they'll perch on coral, often killing them. I've never had them last in any tank, even dedicated nanos. They're cute little guys, but I've never had any success.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2020, 08:37 PM   #11
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsboyette View Post
It is possible to keep a ORA Mandarin without pods in the tank; as their tank-raised Mandarins are conditioned to eat frozen and pellet food. I am seriously considering one for my fish-only tank.
No. Mandarins eat constantly, foraging for pods and other micro-organisms.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2020, 11:11 PM   #12
wsboyette
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
No. Mandarins eat constantly, foraging for pods and other micro-organisms.
So are you saying that ORA's guarantee that their Mandarins will thrive on frozen and pellet food is bogus ? Sure, Mandarins do eat pods and tiny worms constantly in the wild and most reef tanks where they are hosted, but ORA claims their tank raised ones will do well on frozen and pellet foods. Traditionally you had to keep a population of pods or something in order to keep a Mandarin fed (I once kept one in a FOLWR which lived on a colony of tiny filamentous worms in the sandbed).

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon Fish-Only With Dry Rock, Filtration: Aquamaxx HOB Filter/Skimmer & Aqua-Tech 30-60 300 GPH HOB Motor Filter, Livestock: Coral Beauty and Maroon Clown

Last edited by wsboyette; 08/14/2020 at 08:29 AM.
wsboyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2021, 06:07 PM   #13
AdamSabina
Registered Member

Biota has a nice selection on nano and Pico species. Raniford goby example

Tank Raise Mandarin Dragonet! Buying fish for the family...OK just me https://youtu.be/EbdmJf3SZc0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamSabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2021, 01:12 PM   #14
Dan.
Registered Member

Pistol Shrimp and Shrimp Gobies are a great idea for nanos.

Dan. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best nano reef species