jadeguppy
Registered Member

bump for an awesome thread!

jadeguppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2008, 03:37 PM   #102
peter1
Registered Member

Here is my:

Current Tank Info: 230 g + 80 g. Tunze 9420 skimmer, 3 Tunze 6100 + Multicontroller, 3x250W Reefluk 12.000K + 4x 80W T5 buls.
peter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2008, 06:19 PM   #103
SCIFI_3D_zoo
Registered Member

Is there a thread, FAQ, or article about how to take care of an Elegence? I never heard the idea about rinsing some foods b/c they are so sensitive to Phos. Is that just with food or Phos in the water column too? Any other tips to keep one of these.

Current Tank Info: 90g Reef(no SPS b/c of AquaC skimmer) Pacific Blue Tang, Maroon Clown(hosting Finger Leather), Mystery Wrasse(who's location is a mystery), Coral Beauty, Mandarin. AquaC EV240, JBJ ATO, KALK top-off, *Prodibio*
SCIFI_3D_zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2008, 09:04 PM   #104
sailfish2
Registered Member

My two that used to be one.

Here are my two that used to be one. Pic is about two weeks after I fraged mine. I have had him for over a year.

Joe

sailfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2008, 09:27 PM   #105
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SCIFI_3D_zoo
Is there a thread, FAQ, or article about how to take care of an Elegence? I never heard the idea about rinsing some foods b/c they are so sensitive to Phos. Is that just with food or Phos in the water column too? Any other tips to keep one of these.
yes there is scifi--but it is quite a read:
its called elegance theory
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...light=elegance

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2008, 09:28 PM   #106
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: My two that used to be one.

Quote:
Originally posted by sailfish2
Here are my two that used to be one. Pic is about two weeks after I fraged mine. I have had him for over a year.

Joe
wow--they don't mind touching each other?

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 04/13/2008, 09:31 PM   #107
sailfish2
Registered Member

Not that I have seen

Not that I have seen. They used to be one so I would not think that they would hurt each other.

Joe

sailfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2008, 09:35 PM   #108
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: Not that I have seen

Quote:
Originally posted by sailfish2
Not that I have seen. They used to be one so I would not think that they would hurt each other.

Joe
I wonder if it would work it you bought a new species and put it right beside the other?

Unread 04/13/2008, 11:01 PM   #109
superedge88
Registered Member

My elegance corals touch each other, different types, no problems at all.

Current Tank Info: In charge of over 50,000 gallons of fish only tanks
superedge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2008, 07:44 AM   #110
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by superedge88
My elegance corals touch each other, different types, no problems at all.
great the one to the left of my avitar is going to get a mate

Unread 04/14/2008, 03:31 PM   #111
poopsko24
Registered Member

Re: Re: Not that I have seen

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
I wonder if it would work it you bought a new species and put it right beside the other?
why would'nt it ?????????????

poopsko24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2008, 02:34 PM   #112
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Heres my aussie elegance. It was in my friends tank for 9 months, and I have been eyeing it since it came in! (he trans-ships boxes.) Lots of convincing and a few beers later on Friday night, and this bad boy went home with me! I wish the tips were a little brighter, but he did say that he only fed it once or twice the entire time he had it?! So I'm hoping that feeding him 2-3 times a week might help with coloring up the pink tips. Its definently the brightest base color I've ever seen on an elegance though, especially in person. This pic was taken the second night he was in the tank - he gets much bigger now, so I'll have to get a new pic and post it for you guys.....

stunreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2008, 03:07 PM   #113
Elliott89
Registered Member

My Aussie

Elliott89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2008, 03:27 PM   #114
05TurboS2K
Registered Member

SO WHAT IS THE TRICK TO KEEPING THESE ALIVE....since it seems many of you are doing so.

I'm curious to hear from people who have kept them nearly a year or better.

Why can't coral tanks be more like Turbo -Engines ?
05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2008, 04:34 PM   #115
gastone
Registered Member

I'm not sure there is a "trick" to keeping them alive. The trick is getting a healthy one in the first place. Whatever bane has plagued the indo catalaphylias for the last six+ years that we see, doesn't *appear* to come in on the Aussie elegances, though anecdotal evidence shows that if stored in the same system, the Aussie variety will contract said illness and perish.

So buy Aussie... and hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as so many indos of late.

Garrett.

Current Tank Info: 42Hex, 250W Radium in a lumenarc mini + 2x24W T5 Blue+ and 2x24W T5 actinic connected to a 30 gallon zoanthid tank currently lit by 4x39W T5 (Actinic, blue+, pro color, blue+)
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2008, 07:51 PM   #116
amphirion
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stunreefer

Wow, that's quite a piece. The color is just amazing.

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef
amphirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2008, 05:32 AM   #117
Denbf58
Registered Member

Talking

Denbf58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2008, 09:33 AM   #118
superedge88
Registered Member

Here's an indonesian elegance that I picked up ($$$) from a pet store nearby, was told it was from a guy that had it for 2 years and had to breakdown his tank for one reason or another, was well worth the cash, now I have 3 elegance corals in my 150 four footer.

Last edited by superedge88; 04/21/2008 at 09:40 AM.
Unread 04/21/2008, 12:12 PM   #119
PoukieBear
Registered Member

YEA ! I finaly get to joing the Elegance club.

My friend Dee gave me this Aussie on the weekend.

My only concern is the lighting. I've had to move several of my corals down lower because they were getting TOO much light. go figure....I have the opposite problem of everyone else.
If need be, I'll buy more rock and make it a nice little shelter. I'm running T5's. 6 x 50watts each, and I think they are power boosted to 84watts each.

~Poukie, I'm proud of you for throwing up that cake. ~~Mikey~~
~You're not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holding on.
~Save the earth, there are no princesses on Mars.
PoukieBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2008, 02:15 PM   #120
superedge88
Registered Member

poukiebear, looks to me like it might be a little bleached out, so don't be surprised if it darkens. I run T5HO as well, depending on how much light it is getting it may be a good idea to shelter it a bit.

Unread 04/21/2008, 02:46 PM   #121
PoukieBear
Registered Member

It could be that the pics are a little washed out. I'm not the best photographer. It actually does look a little greener in person.

How many watts of T5's are you running? I have a feeling I'll need to buy some more live rock to create a shelter for it.

Unread 04/21/2008, 02:57 PM   #122
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Poukie , you can always add a screen top-section between the light and top of tank located over the elegance. I've done this before, actually for my elegance. Just take some eggcrate, and wrap some window screen around it, placing it above the elegance (so you dont shade your whole tank). You can start with a few layers of screen, then remove them one by one (week by week), until your just eggcrate, then remove it all. This will slowly bring the elegance up to the brighter light. My tank is only 18" deep, with a 250 HQI 14K over top, and my elegance was P I S S E D off when I first brought him home, but now since he slowly acllimated to it, hes loving it!!!

IMO, I dont think your elegance is bleached out. It could be (bleached), it could be the pic, or most elegance tend to have a more pastel base to them anyway. I LOVE the super bright purple-blue tips too - too cool!

superedge88 - wicked man!!! What kind of lighting was that pic taken under? #1, thats an awesome pic, but more importantly #2, what an awesome elegance! Congrats on a great score!!!

Unread 04/21/2008, 04:16 PM   #123
superedge88
Registered Member

Quote:
Poukie , you can always add a screen top-section between the light and top of tank located over the elegance. I've done this before, actually for my elegance. Just take some eggcrate, and wrap some window screen around it, placing it above the elegance (so you dont shade your whole tank). You can start with a few layers of screen, then remove them one by one (week by week), until your just eggcrate, then remove it all. This will slowly bring the elegance up to the brighter light. My tank is only 18" deep, with a 250 HQI 14K over top, and my elegance was P I S S E D off when I first brought him home, but now since he slowly acllimated to it, hes loving it!!!

IMO, I dont think your elegance is bleached out. It could be (bleached), it could be the pic, or most elegance tend to have a more pastel base to them anyway. I LOVE the super bright purple-blue tips too - too cool! Can you believe I took that pic with my crappy camera phone?!!

superedge88 - wicked man!!! What kind of lighting was that pic taken under? #1, thats an awesome pic, but more importantly #2, what an awesome elegance! Congrats on a great score!!!
The pic was taken under my T5 evening bulbs ( 4 blue plus) I run 8 overdriven T5HO bulbs total on my aquarium. The elegance was quite a score, I hadn't seen one before with white tips or with such a green body.

Unread 04/22/2008, 07:19 AM   #124
PoukieBear
Registered Member

Quote:
I had to do this last night.... When i got home the coral wasn't so happy. I turned out the day lights, and just left the actinics on and it came out then.

I had to improvise with a few materials that I had around the house. Hopefully this weekend i'll get some proper stuff.

But.....It seems to me that just blocking the light directly above the coral isn't accomplishing much. Maybe it's because the tank is so tall.... when I turned on the lights this morning it didn't seem like the coral was shaded at all.

Unread 04/23/2008, 12:48 AM   #125
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Yeah I could see that, you might be getting most of the light via reflection off of the glass and the sand/rocks. Keep in mind that relected light like that is visible to us, but doesn't provide the intensity that direct light would, which would make the coral mad (if its more of a low-light coral).

Something easy and cheap to do in this case (if its getting too much reflected light/top shading isn't helping), you can build a little stand (like a frag rack) out of eggcrate around the elegance. Almost like a little cage. The holes in the eggcrate will allow proper flow, and it will help diffuse the light. If necessary, you can attach screen to the top of the eggcrate cage to shade the coral even more (even the sides, but this will block some flow). I have built these stands and just put frag disks in the top to help block light....then you can put frags on there too!

How deep is your tank?

In all honesty, aussies can generally handle more light than their Indonesian cousins, so I wouldn't get too worries about it unless you notice major bleaching of color or constantly retracted tentacles. It would be somewhat normal if the coral was previously kept under real low light, and when moved into your tank lost a little base color - It will come back. My elegance is in a 50 breeder, 18" high, and there is a 250 DE MH 14K light over top. There is overall "high" lighting in this tank. Granted he's in the far corner, but that is still going to replicate a "med.-high" intensity. HTH and GL!