Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2021, 09:02 PM   #1
jtydell
Registered Member

Bubble algae on snails only

Turbos with bubble algae, I have four turbo snails with bubble algae on their shells, I do not have any more bubble algae in my tank anywhere, should I remove the snails and clean the algae or not worry about it?

jtydell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2021, 11:36 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

It will come and go. if you have good water balance it won't become a problem.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2021, 07:11 AM   #3
ROlympia
Registered Member

I have water balance issues but I vote take them out and clean them. Every nook and cranny in my tank has it. It grows easily, spreads easily, and it floats through the tank to other parts of the tank, the sump, and in the powerheads. I'm going to have to temporarily relocate the fish and remove the live rock and substrate to get it out. I already did that with the sump and put filter socks on the overflow to keep it out.

ROlympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2021, 08:19 AM   #4
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROlympia View Post
I have water balance issues but I vote take them out and clean them. Every nook and cranny in my tank has it. It grows easily, spreads easily, and it floats through the tank to other parts of the tank, the sump, and in the powerheads. I'm going to have to temporarily relocate the fish and remove the live rock and substrate to get it out. I already did that with the sump and put filter socks on the overflow to keep it out.
I had an outbreak, I used Vibrant. It took a few weeks, put it's completely gone now. I have since stopped using it. Be sure to follow the directions to a T! Do not overdose.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vibra...creations.html

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2021, 01:55 PM   #5
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I vote to remove the snails and scrub them off, before the bubble algae gets loose in your system.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2021, 04:13 PM   #6
ROlympia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Member No. 1 View Post
I had an outbreak, I used Vibrant. It took a few weeks, put it's completely gone now.
I appreciate the suggestion. Perhaps I'll relocate the fish and treat the tank while they're out instead.

Unread 01/28/2021, 09:07 PM   #7
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Easy peasy, remove the snails, peel off the bubble algae and use a toothbrush to scrub their shells with hydrogen peroxide.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2021, 04:01 AM   #8
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROlympia View Post
I appreciate the suggestion. Perhaps I'll relocate the fish and treat the tank while they're out instead.
You can, but no need to. My tank has 11 fish, and loaded with SPS and LPS coral, zoas. No issues what so ever. All inhabitants looked fine.

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2021, 08:23 AM   #9
ROlympia
Registered Member

Thanks again and to the OP, my bubble algae started small, coming in on an LPS frag.