Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2019, 04:03 PM   #1
FireViper
Registered Member

Assume this is algae? How to get rid off it?

Hello all,

We're all new to the hobby, and I just spent a week out of town with my wife and daughter watching the tank. While I was gone, two different types of what looks like algae popped up, both in the same area. One is red and is pretty much on the surface of the sand. The other is a couple of long, green tentacle like things growing out of the sand. More appear to be starting to pop out of the sand in the same vicinity.

Algae? If so, should I try to get rid of it? If so, how? The tank is due for a water change, so should I vacuum it out if possible? Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3640.jpg (84.3 KB, 85 views)
FireViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 04:39 PM   #2
mann1139
Registered Member

Red is probably cyanobacteria.

I am no expert, but the green almost looks like a macroalgae. Can it just be plucked out of the tank?

mann1139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 06:28 PM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Looks like a new tank, perfectly normal, blow the red, pull what you can of the green, vacuum and water change, if it's always or mostly in one area, increase flow there, check your phosphates to be under .1 make sure your lighting is not to strong or long.

It takes a good 8-12 months for a tank to mature, but when it does, you will know...

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 06:41 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

We could pretend the red is algae but its not...its cyanobacteria..
The brown snot is dinoflagellates which is an algae...(can be quite difficult to rid)
I would suggest that you suck both out during a water change and then turn the lights off for 3 days (more if you have no corals,etc).....and go from there..

Unread 01/17/2019, 09:43 PM   #5
FireViper
Registered Member

Thanks. It is indeed a new tank. Several corals and a few fish (clowns, gobies). Water tests have all been fine, will retest after the change settles. Looks better already after a water change and sucking out the crud.

Thanks again for the help. Will inform if updates are interesting.

Unread 01/17/2019, 10:39 PM   #6
OldReefGuy
Registered Member

You need to increase your flow aswell. That should get rid of the cyano

OldReefGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2019, 05:07 PM   #7
billdogg
Registered Member

I agree with all of the above!

You can expect the "New Tank Uglies" to last at least several months as everything settles in becomes established.

Cyanobacteria has been around for several hundred million years (or longer), and will be here long after we're all long gone. It can be reduced by increasing flow. I forget what corals you have (some of the easier LPS as I recall from other posts). If that is the case, total circulation in the tank should be in the 30x or more range. That includes the return from your sump and any powerheads.

As to the powerheads - they will offer the most benefit if placed in the lower 1/3 of the tank and angled upwards to create plenty of surface agitation. That, in turn, will increase the amount of dissolved oxygen in the tank and help to reduce the proliferation of the cyanobacteria.

Siphon out as much of the dinoflagellates as possible. A toothbrush (no, not your wife's) is one of the most useful tank cleaning tools you will own. Use it to help clean up the rocks.

HTH!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2019, 07:44 PM   #8
FireViper
Registered Member

Thanks again for the help.

Was told we probably didn't need a powerhead, but will add one. We both a skimmer and carbon filter providing the flow to start. Our hammers seem to be moving, though the cyano seems to be at the far end of the tank, under the skimmer. Probably a good place for some added flow.

Unread 01/23/2019, 04:17 PM   #9
PatW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireViper View Post
Thanks again for the help.

Was told we probably didn't need a powerhead, but will add one. We both a skimmer and carbon filter providing the flow to start. Our hammers seem to be moving, though the cyano seems to be at the far end of the tank, under the skimmer. Probably a good place for some added flow.
Virtually every tank is improved with a power head.

PatW is offline   Reply With Quote