Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/05/2017, 07:42 PM   #1
jbsengineer
Registered Member

Salt Mixing and RODI setup - Ace Roto vs. Norwesco

Good evening. I'm still in my infancy of getting a reef stetup and I'm looking to start a good salt mixing/rodi setup first. I have a 6 stage RODI setup ordered from BRS. I'm now comparing ordering 2x55gallon Ace Roto Mold vertical containers or picking up locally 2x65gallon Norwesco containers.

https://www.ntotank.com/55gallon-ace...-tank-x5805608

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...65-gal-2120377

Shipping kills on the ACE Roto Mold. So either direction I'm looking around $400 for either the 2 Ace's or 2 Norweco's (after shipping or local pickup for Norweco).

My question is would I notice a difference in quality that I would care? My number one priority would be not to have anything leaching from the plastics that would cause my RODI water to have more TDS.

My DT with be 160g. Maybe a frag tank or two later on....

Any advice is good advice. Thanks everyone!

jbsengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 12:17 AM   #2
SFish
Registered Member

Brute trash cans will cost you a lot less and you can get them from a local hardware store (about $50 to $60 for a 55gal).

Unread 10/06/2017, 03:57 AM   #3
Indyws6
Registered Member

I use two ~45G salt tanks that are manufactured for water softeners (one for RO/DI and the other for salt mix). They were slightly less costly than either of the options you show. They don't come with bulkhead fittings, but for about $10 each, I made my own using a combination of PVC plumbing parts from Lowe's. The best part is that they have float valves already installed and it's a breeze to plumb straight into them from the RO/DI system. Works well for me...

Current Tank Info: Needs a refresh...
Indyws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 06:33 AM   #4
RWEngineer
Registered Member

Rural King had free shipping on the 55 gallon tanks I purchased.

RWEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 08:46 AM   #5
McPuff
Registered Member

I have the 65 gallon Norwesco vertical storage tank for RO storage. I really love it. Also have a smaller 35 gal horizontal tank for SW. I picked them up "locally" while I was in Wisconsin. I don't think there's any different between Ace Roto Mold and Norwesco. Just get the size you need. I doubt you'll regret it.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2017, 02:03 AM   #6
Gorgok
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFish View Post
Brute trash cans will cost you a lot less and you can get them from a local hardware store (about $50 to $60 for a 55gal).
You can also get them shipped with prime from amazon in a range of colors. Not quite RGB yet though... maybe soon (though technically you can get them in R G and B).

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2017, 01:47 AM   #7
SFish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgok View Post
You can also get them shipped with prime from amazon in a range of colors. Not quite RGB yet though... maybe soon (though technically you can get them in R G and B).
My point is there is no way I'm spending $400 on containers. I would rather spend that money on fish and coral. I got two 55 gallon drums from a guy that works at a soda manufacturer for $20 each. There's just no way I could justify that kind of money on a container to hold water but that's just me.

Unread 10/08/2017, 11:01 PM   #8
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I have two Ace Roto Mold 200gal tanks. Go with whatever has the larger opening and works for you.

Surely you can find them locally. Farm supply, construction supply, construction rental places sometimes sell them. Ace Rotomold makes a lot of tanks here in colorado but they don't make the size I needed. I found them in a dirt lot owned by a construction equipment rental company. They sold them as well because often construction needs to store liquids.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 01:50 AM   #9
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

sad part is I live 7 miles away from ACE roto mold but they don't allow for local pick-up so I would be stuck paying shipping no matter what.

Clownfish breeder
shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote