Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/18/2017, 03:40 PM   #1
MaxMans96
Registered Member

Water flow noise!

Hi,

I have got a bigger aquarium + sump. I love it and everything is going perfect, but there is one thing i'm not happy with.

I have 1 overflow pipe to my sump and it's making a pretty loud noise . I was considering to get a pvc valve to reduce the noise, but i'm not sure if that's possible because i have only 1 pipe to my sump and i've red that a lot of people also have an emergency overflow pipe.

Is there any way to reduce the noise?

Please help!

MaxMans96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2017, 03:45 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Durso
google it...

Unread 10/18/2017, 03:46 PM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Make it longer so it's about 1/2" below water level.

Unread 10/18/2017, 07:07 PM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Apparently the mass market tank manufacturers are the only ones that think single, durso style drains are a good idea. They also grossly overestimate the flow that these drains can reliably handle. If there is any way for you to do it, a double drain system is FAAAAR better.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 04:38 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Show a picture of exactly what you have..
Is it just a pipe sticking up? or is there a down turned elbow or what..

Unread 10/19/2017, 08:31 AM   #6
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Single pipe overflow setup like durso or stockman can silence the overflow side, but the sump side is another story. I think you need some way of muffling the gurgling sound, one way is by completely enclosing it. Newer sumps does this where the drain pipe goes into a bulkhead into the sump and the drain section is almost completely enclosed/covered off and water flows over the top into one or more filter socks, and the filter sock section is also completely covered to muffle any sound. I’ve seen this setup at LFS and thought it muffled the drain noise quite well.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 11:11 AM   #7
MaxMans96
Registered Member

I already have a durso system on the overflow, but the only thing thats making noise is the water going through the pipes. Does someone know how to reduce that sound?

Many thanks for all the quick replies!

Unread 10/19/2017, 11:51 AM   #8
MurphyLong
HMFIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxMans96 View Post
I already have a durso system on the overflow, but the only thing thats making noise is the water going through the pipes. Does someone know how to reduce that sound?

If the sound is coming from the TOP side, cover the top of the overflow.

I had a constant gurgling noise coming from my durso pipes that drove me nuts, and it turned out it was because my standpipes were 1". Going larger made then super quiet.

There are also people shoving small hoses/tubes down the length of their pipes, and I can vouch for that method too. It quiets it down some, but you have to have hoses hanging way behind your tank to muffle/hide the noise.

MurphyLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 12:06 PM   #9
outy
Moved On

3 possible sources for the noise.

Top or middle or bottom.

Top,,, a durso or bean or stockman will work.

Bottom,,, is from having to much flow for given pipe diameter. Using actual drain pipe helps dramatically, or as I did, insulate your drain.

Bottom,,,, is your sump water inlet. I use a 90 elbow going down then a 90 under the water level just a few inches.

Harmony balance and a little tuning and it will be pretty quiet. running over 400gph down a 1" drain will be noisy. 1" id Spa hose is also pretty quiet even with 700 ish gpm

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 12:10 PM   #10
jacksonpt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outy View Post
3 possible sources for the noise.

Top or middle or bottom.

Top,,, a durso or bean or stockman will work.

Bottom,,, is from having to much flow for given pipe diameter. Using actual drain pipe helps dramatically, or as I did, insulate your drain.

Bottom,,,, is your sump water inlet. I use a 90 elbow going down then a 90 under the water level just a few inches.

Harmony balance and a little tuning and it will be pretty quiet. running over 400gph down a 1" drain will be noisy. 1" id Spa hose is also pretty quiet even with 700 ish gpm

This was going to be my question/answer as well...

Where is your noise coming from exactly?

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 12:11 PM   #11
jacksonpt
Registered Member

Quote:

So you can actually hear the water flowing through the pipes?

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 12:55 PM   #12
MaxMans96
Registered Member

Yes. It's not the gurgling noise on top or at the bottom, because that's pretty quit

The only main issue is the water flowing through the pipes. That makes a lot of noise.

Unread 10/19/2017, 12:57 PM   #13
MurphyLong
HMFIC

Quote:
Yes. It's not the gurgling noise on top or at the bottom, because that's pretty quit

The only main issue is the water flowing through the pipes. That makes a lot of noise.
You can wrap the pipes in dynamat or some other sound deadening material. I used a yoga mat. Cut into strips, and duct taped around the pipes.

MurphyLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 04:06 PM   #14
Jdub968
Registered Member

A steady column of water flowing through a pipe should not cause noise that's loud it has to be sucking air. Look at the top of your drain pipe is there a eddy or vortex does it look like a toilet flushing ? If so that's the source of the air

Jdub968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 06:37 PM   #15
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub968 View Post
A steady column of water flowing through a pipe should not cause noise that's loud it has to be sucking air. Look at the top of your drain pipe is there a eddy or vortex does it look like a toilet flushing ? If so that's the source of the air
No it does cause a lot of noise.

I have 2 1" drains that handle close to 700gph and it makes quite the noise.

Its only in the pipes. I wrapped mine and now its hard to hear. small stream noise now. I like it.

Unread 10/20/2017, 01:15 PM   #16
MaxMans96
Registered Member

can you maybe make a picture how you did the wrap of the pipes because im really interested!

Unread 10/20/2017, 01:36 PM   #17
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

You can use the foam wrap for heating pipes if you use 3/4 or 1" pipes.

Unread 10/20/2017, 02:16 PM   #18
Webmanny
Registered Member

This picture should help you better understand the design and concept.

My N=1 study of me, validated by me, and supported by completely anecdotal evidence, states that my advice is 100% correct, most of the time.
Webmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 02:23 PM   #19
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I'd like to see a video showing there is no sound on top and in sump and the noise in the pipe.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 06:32 PM   #20
FireReeferSteve
Registered Member

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireReeferSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2017, 09:53 AM   #21
outy
Moved On

Quote:
can you maybe make a picture how you did the wrap of the pipes because im really interested!
I wrapped old dish towels around the noisy part under the stand. Foam pipe insulation was also used on some runs

Unread 10/21/2017, 09:56 AM   #22
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
I'd like to see a video showing there is no sound on top and in sump and the noise in the pipe.
Why question it? to much flow in white pvc factually causes to much noise, its not a drain pipe which is designed to be quieter. I even used 1" id spa hose in places.

Ever been in a two story house? on the ground floor sometimes you can hear the flow when someone flushes in the pipes themselves.

Dial down water flow is the key if you can. I insulated and it was good enough for me.

Unread 10/22/2017, 02:02 PM   #23
DENIZSEAMAR
Registered Member

I understand the noise OP mentioned. Usually pipe from DT to Sump is bigger than return pipe. And return pump cant fill the overflow box enough to cut the noise. It is a sucking water noise. We usually have valve on sucking pipe at sump and we turn it so little and make the water level at DT a little higher so overflow box get more water that pipe has enough water to cut the sucking noise.
I see u dont have that valve. But if u put that valve on that pipe water level at DT will rise. And if it cant handle it then water will spill . It will be so gentle adjustment.

DENIZSEAMAR is offline   Reply With Quote