Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/30/2014, 11:09 AM   #1
stewmiester
Registered Member

Controller info

Hello everyone! I've been in the hobby going on 5 years. Currently setting up a new larger tank. I am interested in a controller for my aquarium. I've looked around and I feel that apex is the way to go. Any opinions / experience on them? I have a 265 gallon with 55 gallon sump. Nothing's running at the moment just wanting to get everything figured out. Possibly upgrade to a 125 gallon sump or make a refugium out of it. I'm wanting a good controller, that will make my job easier and my tank more stable. Definitely want ph and temp probes. What all would you recommend getting? I'm sure you will want more info about my system so I'll do my best to answer. Thanks for your time.

stewmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Hudzon
Registered Member

It is more about you than your tank, I would consider three different ones
1: ProfiLux Controller - the Bently of the controller market
2: Apex - popular, easy to use easy to get support, many plug and play modules available
3: Reef Angel - a favorite among DIYers, requires coding for most modules and features but allows for a lot of customization.
There is a 4th but I would never recommend it over any of the above.

So if you have the money and want the best go for a ProfiLux , if you don't mind coding your modules Reef Angel is the way to go, if you want mainsteam plug and play Apex is for you.

Hudzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2014, 11:38 AM   #3
stewmiester
Registered Member

Ok I'm definitely not tech friendly so I'm assuming the 3rd choice would be to complicated for me if you have to do coding and stuff.

I'm assuming the first two will do the same tasks? I'll definitely look into the ProfiLux. Is that what you have?

Unread 06/30/2014, 01:42 PM   #4
Donkeykong
Registered Member

Apex has my vote, the customer service from Neptune systems is top notch and with the apex being so popular there is a huge community and no matter what you are trying to do with the controller some one else has already tried and perfected it and most likely willing to look over your code to help you out.

Donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2014, 01:45 PM   #5
stewmiester
Registered Member

I'm leaning towards apex. It's reasonably priced, and it seems easy to operate. Just wondering what unit I should get exactly?

Unread 06/30/2014, 02:05 PM   #6
hkgar
Registered Member

Get the full Apex. That is what I got originally and run temp, CA reactor, skimmer, t5 lights, refugium light, ATO, return, monitor tank ph. I have since added nmodules for water alarms, Echotech pumps, AI LEDs (Hydra52).

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2014, 02:10 PM   #7
stewmiester
Registered Member

So that's just apex, what is apex gold?

Unread 06/30/2014, 02:26 PM   #8
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewmiester View Post
So that's just apex, what is apex gold?
Yes, just Apex, Gold is not something I have heard of. Maybe it is new?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 06/30/2014, 02:27 PM   #9
stewmiester
Registered Member

Apex is 524$ and apex gold was 799 from what I've seen

Unread 06/30/2014, 02:56 PM   #10
hkgar
Registered Member

Wow, I wonder what it does that the Apex cannot do to justify an additional $275?

Someone out there must know.

Unread 06/30/2014, 03:00 PM   #11
hkgar
Registered Member

OK I found it.
Includes Apex Base Unit Controller, Apex Display Module, Long-life Temperature Probe, Energy Bar 8, Lab Grade pH, ORP and Conductivity Probes as well as the PM2 Salinity Module

It is the base unit with Ph, ORP and conductivity probes plus the salinity module. If you don't want salinity (conductivity probe), I see no reason to get it. The base unit (Apex) comes with a temp probe, temp probe, energy bar and display module.

Unread 06/30/2014, 03:19 PM   #12
stewmiester
Registered Member

So the only difference would be salinity? Would it be beneficial? Could it be added to the base unit later on?

Unread 06/30/2014, 04:18 PM   #13
hkgar
Registered Member

you could add it later. I think that having a refractometer on hand to check salinity once every week or so is just fine.

Unread 06/30/2014, 05:46 PM   #14
stewmiester
Registered Member

Yeah then I don't see the point in gold.

Unread 06/30/2014, 05:49 PM   #15
SeedlessOne
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewmiester View Post
Ok I'm definitely not tech friendly so I'm assuming the 3rd choice would be to complicated for me if you have to do coding and stuff.

I'm assuming the first two will do the same tasks? I'll definitely look into the ProfiLux. Is that what you have?

Not at all. The reefangel is just as easy to setup as the rest. No coding of any sort is needed to do what most want to do.

Not sure why that follows the reefangel. Everyone thinks you need to be some wiz kid.

SeedlessOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2014, 06:04 PM   #16
stewmiester
Registered Member

Well now I'll have to give them a look too.

Tags
controllers