Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/04/2011, 02:46 PM   #1
willp2
Registered Member

LED Daylight Controller - A different take

Well my obsession with a simple LED daylight controller continues. My previous efforts at building a simple daylight controller worked well however I wanted better build quality and more options. So I took my earlier designs and combined them into one controller that can be used a number of ways.

This new version is a dimmer, daylight controller and driver for up to 24 X 3W 700mA LEDs. Additionally I added the ability to use it with other external drivers that take either a 5V or 10V PWM dimming source. The idea there is that I can build it to drive the LED’s on my nano then use the same controller to be a dimming source on that 100G I want to move into.

I can also build it as a controller only for external drivers for systems I've already retro'ed. And in fact I can use the same controller to do both at the same time. So that means I can have two or more tanks with the daylight cycle synchronized!

Once I had the design where I wanted it I wanted something cleaner than my previous wire wrap boards so I had a few PC Boards made. First PC board I’ve ever had produced so I was pleasantly surprised at how well they turned out and that I didn’t make any mistakes in the design so everything works with no modification to the board.

If you’re not familiar with my previous versions, one of my main design concepts was to keep it simple. I wanted versatility but I’m not going after an end all. I tried building a model with a real time clock, LED screen, input buttons etc. But I found that overly complex for what I wanted.

I just want to set the brightness with a knob, give some parameters for how long I want it to run, how it should ramp up and ramp down and what kind of delay should there be between the different colors on the ramp up and ramp down. For that much control I decided to just use pots for the brightness controls and a dip switch to set all the timing parameters.

Here’s the top of the board

Pots mounted to bottom

Here’s my complete unit working right now

And for reference here is an older video I put together showing the kind of control I’m talking about.

Daylight Cycle Test – Previous controller

Now unrelated to the controller is the LED fixture retro itself which I detailed here

I’ve reworked this setup several times doing different things with controllers and driver combos. In the end it got to be a huge mess inside the hood. I had everything stuffed in the hood, drivers, power supplies etc. Every inch of space was used by something.

Here's the before

So now with the new setup everything is in the one controller box so I was able to pull everything out and clean it up a lot. Basically I’m just making wire connections to the various components. I still loose style points for all the mismatched wire on LED’s themselves, but I wasn’t willing to rewire the whole thing to just to make it pretty as I know I'll be back in there again soon.

Here's the after

The LED’s have been great. They are the same high output SemiLED’s I used in earlier builds. These are the older versions, more recently I’ve been getting some different color temps, some higher power Bridgelux LEDs (10W, 30W and 50W) and am doing some testing with those units. Most interesting lately is that I can now get these 3W SemiLEDs with a 60 degree viewing angle. That’s with no optics installed. They are getting tons of PAR to the sand and very efficiently.

Here's a video explaining how it works. Caution, its a few minutes long and pretty geeked out and boring.

When I show the cycle at the end, thats simulating over 90 seconds what would normally run over a full day. In this case I do the ramp up / down in 30 seconds each. The ramp up / down doesn't show so well on the camera as its trying to compensate for the brightness changes. In practice, I get a nice gradual change where everytime I look at the tank during the ramp up / down it looks a little different. The change is subtle and happens over time.

In regular use I'm currently running a 30 minute ramp up and a 90 minute ramp down on my regular cycle. Click the pic to see the video if interested.

Daylight controller - link to video

Thanks

willp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2011, 06:01 PM   #2
customcolor
Registered Member

3 works for you.....

Sick

Sick

SICK!!

ill say this....i want one

Great stuff====$5 a can
24-48 hour cure
Epoxy to cover it====little as $5 for small projects or up to $100+ for larger projects
and another 24-48 hour cure
I hope you covered it well cuz if you didnt it will start to break down in a few months
sand is another added cost to cover up the yellow.

Pond foams====$9-$15 a can
24-48 hour cure
DONE! You can cover it with sand if you want to (YOU DONT HAVE TO) though but thats added cost again

Current Tank Info: 75 gal under way
customcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2011, 06:31 PM   #3
DFason
Registered Member

What type of drivers are you using?

-Dave

Current Tank Info: 35g Shallow Reef Build/iTech 100/Tunze Osmolator/MP20/Sunpower
DFason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2011, 08:31 PM   #4
willp2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by customcolor View Post
3 works for you.....

Sick

Sick

SICK!!

ill say this....i want one
Thanks! After all the time I have in this thing its nice to hear that I'm not the only one that likes it!

I'm using the little Sure Electronics drivers. I'll dig up a link if your not familiar with it.

Unread 05/04/2011, 08:51 PM   #5
The Codfather
Registered Member

Wow, good job. I honestly have no idea how you guys have the ability to build such things, impressive indeed.

Current Tank Info: 65gal freshwater display
The Codfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2011, 09:31 PM   #6
multicincta
Registered Member

How much?

Very cool, I'm very impressed.

multicincta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2011, 11:54 PM   #7
willp2
Registered Member

Thanks. I do have enough parts to build a couple more of these. If you are interested let me know what you are trying to do and maybe we can work something out.

Unread 05/05/2011, 09:35 PM   #8
willp2
Registered Member

A couple people asked me how this is controlled since it doesn't have a clock. I just use a wall timer to turn it on. Just need to make sure the wall timer is on long enough to let it run the whole cycle.

Unread 05/06/2011, 08:39 AM   #9
kttran_2005
Registered Member

Thumbs up I love your LED controller system

Thanks for sharing

kttran_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2011, 01:48 PM   #10
noahm
Registered Member

Nice!

noahm is offline   Reply With Quote