Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2017, 11:44 AM   #1
1Sic54
Registered Member

Montipora Dying?

Hello everyone. This is the the first forum I've been a member to. I'm relatively new to the saltwater scene. Ive kept several freshwater tanks over the years and finally made the leap into saltwater, and dont know why I waited so long. Absolutely love it.

I have a marineland 60g cube. 24x24x24. Tank has been up for 8 months now. Running one AI prime hd for the light. I have several lps/sps and fish.

I purchased a plating montipora frag about a month ago or so. Has been doing extremely well with good polyp extension and has already grown 3 to 4mm around the edges. I came home yesterday and noticed none of the polyps were out and around the outside edges, there was empty holes where polyps should be. Is this a sign of it dying? Or is something eating the polyps? Any feedback would be great.

Phos 0
Ph 8.1
Am 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrite 0
Mag 1360
Kh 8.6
Ca 425

Attached Images
File Type: jpg montipora.jpg (100.0 KB, 43 views)
1Sic54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2017, 01:22 PM   #2
fishboys
Registered Member

Check for monti eating Nudibranches

fishboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2017, 01:28 PM   #3
fishboys
Registered Member

http://www.reeffarmers.com/tracygraynudi01.htm

fishboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2017, 02:29 PM   #4
1Sic54
Registered Member

Thank you for the response. That article was very helpful. I will have to do some inspecting when I get home and see if that is what my issue is.

Unread 03/18/2017, 09:11 PM   #5
1Sic54
Registered Member

I removed that piece and put it into a clear tub of the tank water and inspected with a light. Couldn't see any visual signs of nudis. I then took my turkey bastor and blasted all around and underneath the piece the best I could. Still no signs of any nudis. Placed coral back in the tank on the sand bed. This morning after my lights turned on they polpys started showing signs of opening up. Even the holes that looked completely empty had polpys back in them. Not sure what caused them to receed so deeply into the piece but seems to be doing much better now. 👍

Tags
coral, lps, montipora, reef, sps