Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/23/2020, 11:54 AM   #1
diver22
Registered Member

Aquarium Aquascape Concerns.

Hi All, I'm so confuse, i keep seeing most of these Aquascape in aquariums with minimal rock, don't we need crevasses so the fish can have a place to escape ? wont it stress out your fishes if they have no place to hide away ?

Reason for asking I have a 150 with the two overflow in the back the problem i have is the 18 width, so Aquascape is extremely hard to accommodate fish and coral. The only thing i can think of is a wall affect in the back.

Any input and direction is helpful.

Thank you!

diver22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2020, 12:39 PM   #2
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

A fake wall on the back is a great solution. Saves you a lot of room, while giving you spots to place corals.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2020, 01:05 PM   #3
cvrle1
Registered Member

Wall does work, but it has to be made in such way that there is room behind it for water circulation. One issue people were having with walls is that they would get a lot of detritus built up behind it and it would cause issues as that decomposed.

Another thing you can look into is removing those overflows. I did this on my 120G tank, and it wasnt too bad. They do take up a lot of room. Take a look at this thread for info on how that would look like, and steps on removing them

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1934188

To get around Photobucket restriction, just right click on pic and View Image. That will give you proper picture.

cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2020, 09:26 AM   #4
diver22
Registered Member

thanks great option, how did you cover the old overflow holes at the bottom of the tank ?

diver22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2020, 03:23 PM   #5
cvrle1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver22 View Post
thanks great option, how did you cover the old overflow holes at the bottom of the tank ?
I used piece of scrap glass 1/4" thick, cut it into squares that were about 1-2 inches wider than the hole and then siliconed it in place. Just for the piece of mind I did same thing on the bottom of the tank, even though it would not do much at all and is quite useless. I had more than enough glass and silicone, so I figured why not lol. Water tested it for literally a month and it was bone dry. Ended up selling that tank to someone else as i found a 5 foot tank that I really wanted, but had no reservations about using it as I originally planned. If you plan on usingany sort of sand bed, these patches will be covered, so you will never see them. If you go bare bottom, it may be a bit of an eye sore until either rock or coraline or corals cover them.

Here is sump that I did same thing on, but hole was on the side for external pump (I will use this sump as either QT or frag tank down the road)

cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote