Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/07/2020, 06:04 AM   #1
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Accurate home testing

Hello,

So regarding the home test kits, what are the DO's to make the test kits we have as accurate as possible?

Thanks

Unread 08/07/2020, 07:59 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Consistency with how you do the test.
If I need a small spoon of powder I level it off with some plastic so I get it right every time. Get the water sample as close to the same spot on the syringe line, things like these help.

Unread 08/07/2020, 09:42 AM   #3
wsboyette
Registered Member

Stay away from those cheepie API test strips, I had some that were reading false negatives.

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon Fish-Only With Dry Rock, Filtration: Aquamaxx HOB Filter/Skimmer & Aqua-Tech 30-60 300 GPH HOB Motor Filter, Livestock: Coral Beauty and Maroon Clown
wsboyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2020, 03:00 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree with consistency.

Follow the instructions carefully. For some test kits, like calcium, there is a time required for the reaction to occur, which means waiting between titration drops.

Keep reagent bottles capped as much as possible. While the top is off, water can evaporate, which leads to incorrect readings over time.

Unread 08/07/2020, 04:10 PM   #5
Alex114
Registered Member

Personally I use my phone timer when stirring up the solution. So if it says shake for 15 seconds I time it and stop at exactly 15 seconds. I had problems with Red Sea magnesium test until I started doing that

Alex114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2020, 06:13 PM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

Get tests that return actual numbers, where possible. 'Kinda pink' is hard to classify. 8.3 is a fact, not an approximation of pinkness. Salifert is mostly numbers.

Watch for color flashes as you add drops in Salifert: those indicate you're reaching the critical point and it's close to 'turning' full-on done.

Also: set your test tube on a white surface under good light and look down the tube when working, like adding drops; That gives you the truest view. View from overhead, never sideways. You're also more likely to see the flash when viewed from that angle.

Also, anytime they give you a measure in tsp or such---they mean LEVEL, not heaping. That's basic cookery---and chemistry. If ever they want heaping they will use that precise word.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote