Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/01/2017, 05:18 PM   #51
ReefMaster48
Registered Member

First off, great pictures!!!

Secondly, great tank! Looks awesome!

ReefMaster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2017, 05:37 PM   #52
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMaster48 View Post
First off, great pictures!!!

Secondly, great tank! Looks awesome!
Thanks! Hope to get the tank slowly stocked up to get some better photos of it not just empty

Currently: rainbow BTA, 7x clowns, 1 geometric pygmy hawkfish

Probably done with fish, but going to be getting a green bta and the h magnifica! I'll give those nems a month or more to settle down and then look into getting a few sticks of SPS.

Dreading the day where I'm going to be testing Alk/Ca daily. I'll have to invest in a dosing pump at some point...

I'm wondering if the Neptune Trident that's coming out will be overkill for my tank. But maybe super worth it.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2017, 05:48 PM   #53
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
By Friday, when the H. mag arrives, the epoxy should be all cured and holding tight
Nice. Looking forward to some pics of the mag. Did you buy it online? Was it WYSIWYG?

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2017, 06:11 PM   #54
Kinetic
Registered Member

Pretty saturated photo of my Rainbow BTA. I could post a not-so-saturated shot, but this kind of shows off the colors he's getting back since being shipped. He's a bit pastel colored when fully inflated during the daytime, when the evening comes around and blues are dominating, he's a pretty dark color.

And of course, with my luck, he stays behind my rockwork facing the back wall, where it's almost impossible to see him. LOL.

And a video of it waving around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmljkNfAVQ8

Last edited by Kinetic; 11/01/2017 at 06:20 PM.
Unread 11/01/2017, 06:13 PM   #55
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
Nice. Looking forward to some pics of the mag. Did you buy it online? Was it WYSIWYG?
The mag is actually from user Gig'em! He had two that were in his frag tank that he was eventually going to sell, but wasn't really promoting them. I reached out after finding out he used to treat them well with cipro and sell them afterwards, having huge success even after shipping once it was treated.

He had one that was purple base with white tips and looked beautiful. 3" is tiny enough to fit well and grow a bit in my tank!

Unread 11/02/2017, 10:38 PM   #56
Kinetic
Registered Member

I'm deciding on which rock to use for the H. Mag. The first one below is larger by about 1" shortest diameter, and 2" longest diameter. Good for the nem to grow a bit. The second is big enough (reportedly) to hold it with 2 - 3" extra space to grow. Obv. I could just go with the larger, but aesthetics mean a lot too. Maybe there isn't enough of a difference, but what do you guys think. A or B?

A

B

Unread 11/03/2017, 09:44 AM   #57
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Both are good. B stands out more I think.

Unread 11/03/2017, 12:22 PM   #58
Kinetic
Registered Member

H. Magnifica has arrived from Gig'em! Some poop in the bag but nothing else. Color looks really great. I'm concerned about the mouth, looks to be inside out. When he first arrived, mouth was visible, but after a float acclimation, he looks gross.

Should I put him in a treatment tank with cipro now?

Unread 11/03/2017, 01:26 PM   #59
D-Nak
Registered Member

Assuming it was properly QTed the first time, I don't think you need to treat with Cipro. Looks like the mag didn't like being in the bag for an extended amount of time. You can either set up a QT tank for observation, if you have one, or put it in the DT and let it acclimate to your tank.

Me personally, I'd turn off the flow in the DT and see if it attaches to the rock you picked out.

Unread 11/03/2017, 01:35 PM   #60
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
Assuming it was properly QTed the first time, I don't think you need to treat with Cipro. Looks like the mag didn't like being in the bag for an extended amount of time. You can either set up a QT tank for observation, if you have one, or put it in the DT and let it acclimate to your tank.

Me personally, I'd turn off the flow in the DT and see if it attaches to the rock you picked out.
Thanks Derrick! I will probably QT him for the afternoon first just in case. I have it setup anyhow. I just hope that extra QT won't add additional stress.

I'm assuming he should be fine as long as he doesn't have a bacterial infection? This is just a show of being upset and not necessarily infection that needs cipro?

Unread 11/03/2017, 03:07 PM   #61
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
I'm assuming he should be fine as long as he doesn't have a bacterial infection? This is just a show of being upset and not necessarily infection that needs cipro?
Yes, I think it's safe to assume that it doesn't have a bacterial infection because it was already treated successfully once, and it hasn't been exposed to other nems. Mags ship poorly and oftentimes invert their stomachs. I think the waste fouls the water and makes conditions even worse. Once it's in a tank, it should begin to perk up -- stomach will contract and tentacles will inflate.

How does it look now?

Unread 11/03/2017, 03:43 PM   #62
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, I think it's safe to assume that it doesn't have a bacterial infection because it was already treated successfully once, and it hasn't been exposed to other nems. Mags ship poorly and oftentimes invert their stomachs. I think the waste fouls the water and makes conditions even worse. Once it's in a tank, it should begin to perk up -- stomach will contract and tentacles will inflate.

How does it look now?
After 2 hours of drip acclimation, I put him in a breeder box into the DT instead of the QT.

I decided to lessen the potential stress of going into QT, then DT at some point. And he doesn't seem to be spilling guts and is getting better, so DT in a box it is. I was worried the clowns would dive bomb it if I put it on the rock, because they're already being "hosted" by the rock ever since I put it in (dumb dumbs).

Currently looking 50% better, especially now that it's in a running tank.

Mouth is starting to tighten back up. No excretions of any kind. He seems to be holding on tight to the bottom of the box now.

Unread 11/03/2017, 05:59 PM   #63
Kinetic
Registered Member

I moved the box in front of the gyre and return, so it's getting a lot more flow over the top. Somehow a clown got in lol. I chased him out with a net.

The rest of them are trying to get in! Leave this guy alone people.

Mouth is probably 60% better than when it first arrived. It improved quickly, now not so much. Still waiting until 8pm (5 more hours) before deciding if he should go into TT for cipro.

Unread 11/03/2017, 06:44 PM   #64
Kinetic
Registered Member

OK, mouth is starting to go back in. There's a weird black dead looking tentacle or something near the mouth. Should I remove that?

Here's my setup that allows flow in, but tries to keep the clowns out:

Unread 11/03/2017, 07:54 PM   #65
D-Nak
Registered Member

I would try to remove it. It could be waste or dead zoox.

Unread 11/03/2017, 07:55 PM   #66
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
I would try to remove it. It could be waste or dead zoox.
At what point should I just start to cipro? His mouth is half in now, but he hasn't gotten better. Should I just wait until the morning to see if it gets worse?

Unread 11/03/2017, 10:21 PM   #67
D-Nak
Registered Member

If it doesn't look better by morning you can try Cipro. Not sure if it will help though. If the nem doesn't inflate it can't take in the meds.

Unread 11/04/2017, 12:50 AM   #68
Kinetic
Registered Member

Good news! As of 23:45 pacific, he is twice as inflated, tentacles inflated quite a bit, and mouth is almost totally closed up now! He's a bit too big for this box now, but I'll move him onto the pedestal in the morning if his mouth is totally closed up and fully inflated. The ocellaris are so excited to get in there (one already got in twice, geeze).

What a huge improvement over the last few hours.

What would be the best way to pull him out of the box? He's holding on SUPER tight now (I tried to move him to the center of the box, he wouldn't budge). Ice cube?

Unread 11/04/2017, 01:10 AM   #69
D-Nak
Registered Member

It’s looking a lot better!

I think it’s best to get it out of the box and onto the pedestal to allow for more water movement to help the new flush out any dead zoox and other waste.

Try to slip a gift card under the edge of the foot. Once you get one part off, it’ll be easy to get the rest of the foot detached.

Unread 11/04/2017, 01:11 AM   #70
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
It’s looking a lot better!

I think it’s best to get it out of the box and onto the pedestal to allow for more water movement to help the new flush out any dead zoox and other waste.

Try to slip a gift card under the edge of the foot. Once you get one part off, it’ll be easy to get the rest of the foot detached.
His mouth isn't fully closed, and the ocellaris are ready to pounce. Think it's good to get him out now? or should I wait so that the ocellaris don't harass it too much?

Unread 11/04/2017, 01:20 AM   #71
D-Nak
Registered Member

Just wait until tomorrow to see how it looks. It’s best if the mouth is fully closed and tight.

Unread 11/04/2017, 01:21 AM   #72
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Just wait until tomorrow to see how it looks. It’s best if the mouth is fully closed and tight.
Sounds good! Thanks!

Unread 11/04/2017, 02:54 PM   #73
D-Nak
Registered Member

How does it look this morning (afternoon LOL)?

Unread 11/04/2017, 04:51 PM   #74
Kinetic
Registered Member

Woke up this morning and the mag was very inflated, tentacles totally fluffed out, and mouth closed tight. So excited!

The LED's were still super dim as they just came on, so I turned off all the flow and placed the mag on the pedestal. Here's his mouth and the clowns immediately took to it.

Sun came out while waiting for the mag to grip the rock (left the pumps off for almost 50 minutes before he decided to plant his whole foot down and do the fried egg thing):

Since the flow was off, took the chance to snap a photo from above

Turned on the flow after almost an hour!

Clowns love this thing

Lastly some shots from the side

As of 5 minutes ago, the female finally decided to join in on the fun, and promptly kicked everyone out! Rude!

Video uploading to Youtube:
https://youtu.be/fTd_WuBArS4

Unread 11/04/2017, 05:06 PM   #75
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Nice. There you go. It was just stressed from shipping I suppose. Best of luck.