Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/14/2017, 02:06 AM   #1
LisaP
Registered Member

Baby Tubastrea or something else?

Hi there, yesterday I discovered 2 tiny polyps on the rocks close to my NPS corals.

I have a single head of Balanophyllia sp. (introduced just under 3 months ago) and a colony of Tubastrea sp. (introduced 27 days ago). Are these babies most likely to be from the Tubastrea sp.? 27 days seems kind of quick for larvae release, settlement and growth into a recognisable polyp but maybe it's not. It would be extra cool if they were from the Balanophyllia sp. but less likely as it would have had to have already been brooding larvae when I purchased it.

It has also been suggested that they could be ball anemones, I'm doubtful as the tentacles do not appear to have the typical ball-like tips that I expect to see on these corallimorphs.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for any input.

Regards

Lisa

Unread 08/21/2017, 05:36 AM   #2
Moort82
Registered Member

It's a baby sun. They commonly spawning tanks or when moved between them. I'm guessing it's a few mm across which would fir the time line ime.

Moort82 is offline   Reply With Quote