Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/13/2017, 10:40 AM   #1
fishguy2501
Registered Member

Ctenochaetus... specifically the cheveron tang

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone could share their experience with the cheveron tang and how to properly take care of one, also if anyone has kept any of the other Ctenochaetus please post your experiences.

fishguy2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2017, 10:46 AM   #2
StephenRU
Registered Member

I've had a Kole recently as well as a Tomini in the past. Both were active swimmers, and did very well at eating algae off of the rocks. People tend to put them in smaller tanks, but that is not something I would like to recommend.

StephenRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2017, 10:58 AM   #3
nereefpat
Registered Member

Keep in mind that the Chevron goes through a drastic color change from juvenile to adult, and also that it gets much bigger than the other Ctenochaetus spp (10").

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2017, 11:00 AM   #4
SoloChromis
Registered Member

I kept a tomini for some time and found him to be a great fish, kinda like a more passive zebrasoma. All he did was calmly cruise about the rock work all day snacking, and didn't ever bother anybody. Unfortunately I lost him in a marine velvet outbreak set off by a purple tang :headway: I'd say a 55g is the minimum I'd put your typical bristle tooth in, chevrons have the largest max size as far as I know, so I'd say a 75g for them, as long as it's 4' long. Like zebrasoma, bristletooths are better suited to captivity than other genera because they have slow growth rates, and are much more "stationary", meaning they seem to be more content exploring the rockwork, feeding all day, than pacing the length of the tank. They also don't seem to be nearly as prone to disease IME. Good luck

Current Tank Info: 60g Caribbean-esque Reef (2'x2'x2'), 10g Quarantine
SoloChromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2017, 11:08 AM   #5
fishguy2501
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Keep in mind that the Chevron goes through a drastic color change from juvenile to adult, and also that it gets much bigger than the other Ctenochaetus spp (10").
I actually like the look of the adult as well as the juvie, but yea the size is more like that of a smaller acanthurus.

fishguy2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2017, 12:07 PM   #6
scooter31707
Registered Member

I have had a Kole x2, Tomini (currently), and a chevron. IME, Kole was the jerks out of the bunch, beating up on Starry and Lawnmower Blennies. Tomini has been very laid back, no trouble out of hit. Chevron very cool fish, gets around 9-10 inches, IMO requires a 180. When I purchased them (at different times of course) took awhile to get them eating Nori. Until this day, my Tomini does not eat it.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2017, 12:12 PM   #7
Reef908
Registered Member

I agree on the above posts. I have twice tried a kole and they both were jerks and had to trade them back in. I have twice had tomini in the past as well and both were great. Niether liked Nori and both preferred to graze and then would aggressively pursue the other fishes poo haha. Never tried the chevron though.

Unread 01/13/2017, 01:47 PM   #8
alton
Registered Member

Great fish, I like both color variations. Buy Hawaiian, not Xmas Islands. Enjoy the lip marks all over your glass. There is no harder working tang, and feed spiralina brine as part of there diet.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2017, 04:57 PM   #9
trembz
Registered Member

I've had one for a little over a month now that I got off of someone who had him for 3 years.
I put him in my tank with 3 other tangs, multiple triggers (including a clown) and a large emperor angel.
He got nipped the first few days and wasn't sure if he'd make. He's healed up great and now coasts through the tank with all other fish. I would say they are one of the tougher tangs (despite what other people or sites say based on MY experience)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

trembz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2017, 05:54 PM   #10
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Chevie is an awesome fish. It will change, so make sure you like it's adult clothes (I do). Primarily detritivore, so crap and slime algae. Mine follows my hippo around at feeding time hoping for a 'treat'. None of the bristles I've kept ate nori, though they all took frozen eventually. Almost continuous grazer, along with my potters angel.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote