Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/22/2017, 01:41 PM   #26
Hentz
Registered Member

Tested all of my water and everything came out the same aside from a .2 dKH in Alkalinity. So I added three corals to start with.

It's crazy that these seemed like colonies in my Reefer 170 and minuature colonies in my 120.

Last edited by Hentz; 07/22/2017 at 04:05 PM.
Hentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2017, 07:37 PM   #27
reefmutt
Registered Member

Looking good though.. small colonies just means more room for MORE acros!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2017, 08:48 PM   #28
Ucantwin
Registered Member

looking good!

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2017, 09:25 PM   #29
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
The lie we all tell ourselves until it's too late

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2017, 08:18 AM   #30
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Ha! indeed... I've been walking willingly into that fire for EVER.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 07/24/2017, 09:03 AM   #31
Stolireef
Registered Member

So, did you decide on just two part? Love the setup. Very similar to mine but I'm on the LED wagon.

Current Tank Info: 125 Rimless Leemar, Apex, Trigger 30 Elite Sump, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 X Gen4 Radion XR30W, BM Doser, 2xMP40WES, 2xTunze 6095, Sicce Syncra 4.0.
Stolireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2017, 12:58 PM   #32
Hentz
Registered Member

Got the urge late last night to transfer my Apex over to the 120. Was tired of having the tank run off of a power-strip with no timers. Figured it was finally time to get my 120 in control since I no longer had any corals in the Reefer 170.

Everything is doing really well so far, minus the Fox Flame. It wasn't doing so hot in the Reefer 170 so I didn't expect it to survive anyways.
Fish are absolutely in love. My Wrasse is swimming through the rocks and racing across the tank. It's a really great sight to see. I can't wait to add more fish to the system as well.

For now, here is what we have:

Unread 07/29/2017, 01:02 PM   #33
Hentz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Very true!! Only downfall is the wife might notice more acropora at this point... I figure once the tank is filled up, she will have no idea I'm still buying coral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
looking good!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Lmfao yes it is. But yet we all still some how find more room :P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolireef View Post
So, did you decide on just two part? Love the setup. Very similar to mine but I'm on the LED wagon.
I think so, yes. I just bought a bottle each of Alk and Calcium from Fritz. I use their salt with good success so figured I might as well add their product. Still torn on the Triton method. Letting a few local reefers get their tanks dialed in before switching over, if I do.

Unread 07/30/2017, 02:38 PM   #34
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentz View Post
Very true!! Only downfall is the wife might notice more acropora at this point... I figure once the tank is filled up, she will have no idea I'm still buying coral.
This is the response of a seasoned reefer!!
Excellent point.

Unread 07/30/2017, 07:27 PM   #35
Hentz
Registered Member

Picked up 6 new corals today. Fellow reefer has some nice stuff that he's selling. Stressed and browned out from dipping and battling AEFW, but you can see the total potential.

Here's just a few top downs of the new Acropora that have some color. Unedited and the blue's are insane on the two corals.

Not sure on the name of this one. It starts with an L he said. But smooth skin with a light green base and teal tips. Looks pretty promising!

Unread 07/31/2017, 11:06 PM   #36
Hentz
Registered Member

Hooked up my Chaeto Reactor tonight, just need to get some chaeto for it!
Everything is doing well. Added a fat and healthy looking Yellow Tang today from my LFS. Keep forgetting that I can NOW add bigger and more exciting fish and am not limited to a small size anymore with my Reefer 170.

Here are some pictures from tonight of the tank and sump. Please note the wire mess will be cleaned up sometime this next month! :P

Unread 08/01/2017, 04:49 PM   #37
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Very tidy mate! Chaeto reactor should be a bit of fun

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2017, 09:37 PM   #38
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Looking nice! What zeo products are those? Are you using them?

Unread 08/02/2017, 08:36 PM   #39
reefmutt
Registered Member

Looking good! Nice location. Very central.
Gonna be sweet when it's loaded up.

Unread 08/03/2017, 04:46 PM   #40
Hentz
Registered Member

Thanks guys! Can't wait until this bad boy is filled up. Everything is solid so far parameter wise. Caught some AEFW on my large Scripps acro so I ended up tossing the bitten chunk. Have a small chunk I'm going to dip tomorrow along with some others just to be safe.

Noticing some great color already on other Acropora. Polyp extension is great on everything. I'm sure all my acros are happy to be lit from all sides opposed to an LED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
Looking nice! What zeo products are those? Are you using them?
Thanks!
Currently just left overs. ZEOstart that has spit left (using .14ml just to use the rest of it and feed some bacteria). I have Pohls Xtra, full bottle leftover, basically that I've added once so far last night. I also have Coral Snow which I've been daily dosing at night. Then I have Sponge Power and ZEOfood which are 3/4 full. I've been dosing Sponge Power to get my Sponge population healthy. I'm sure the SPS don't mind it either.

Unread 08/12/2017, 06:08 PM   #41
Hentz
Registered Member

My LFS broke down a tank and the guy had a bunch of ZEOvit bottles that were 3/4+ full. So I acquired some blue bottles that I'll very likely use for coloration and what not at a conservative rate.

Got a few more top down pics today along with an FTS during a water change. Really hard to get a really high quality picture with the T5 bulbs blasting above my viewer. I can hardly see my phone screen when taking these, but its the best I can do at the moment!

Unread 08/13/2017, 11:35 AM   #42
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Looks as if things are coming along nicely so far!

Unread 08/13/2017, 11:40 AM   #43
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice collection of 'starter' corals!
looking good!

Unread 08/13/2017, 10:59 PM   #44
Hentz
Registered Member

Ended up buying a Fuijifilm XP120 tonight at BestBuy. Figured since we're going on our honeymoon tomorrow with snorkeling included, a water proof camera would be fun. So of course, what does any reefer do? Tests it out on their tank! Sketchy to put the camera in water, I eagerly did so. I need to work on my skills a little bit, but a much more "accurate" shot than what I was able to get above with my iPhone 6+. Might not be the most crisp camera, but definitely am able to get a better colored shot, naturally.

Unread 08/14/2017, 05:15 AM   #45
reefmutt
Registered Member

Cool! You should be able to get perfect shots with that camera. Just need to get the focus right.
Enjoy the honeymoon!

Unread 08/19/2017, 02:07 PM   #46
Hentz
Registered Member

Honeymoon was freaking awesome! First stop was Catalina Island in California. They had snorkeling and of course we signed up for it. Prior to that, we kayaked around the boats and what not which was pretty cool. Got to play with the camera bit which was great out of water and not so much underneath us... However when we went snorkeling, it turned out pretty high quality. Much better than we both anticipated. The wife was pretty panicky when she realized there were easily 150+ fish swimming around us. I was simply like a kid in a candy store, mesmerized by the beautiful Bass and Garibaldi and the ONE Wrasse I got to see.

Home now and still playing with my camera. I'm a little under the weather as I feel I'm still on the boat and get randomly dizzy... But the tank for some reason was helping me. So I got some pics last night, trying various things to get the best quality.

Here's one to start, the Pearlberry of course. Seems to be the easiest for my to capture. Tried it with a flash which surprisingly helped the quality. Though had to edit the white balance a little bit in Adobe Lightroom to be able to get the accurate color.

Here is the Pink Lemonade I have. I also found that if I record a video at 1080p 60FPS, it really gets nice close-ups of the corals. Using this method, I just took a screen shot of the video. May have reduced quality some, but not too much.

And the other I got a nice shot of, the Area 51 from Dynasty Corals. This was an unnamed piece until a fellow reefer and I picked it up at a local Swap. Dynasty Corals later made a post for people to come up with names, in which Area 51 won.

Unread 08/19/2017, 06:14 PM   #47
Hentz
Registered Member

Some more close up pictures:

Walt Disney Acropora - Hoping this colors up soon.

Unknown Acropora - Went from brown/green to this in 2 weeks. Quickly becoming vibrant.

Unknown Acropora #2 - Bought it brown, developed some pretty colors in my Reefer 170. Now back to brown but turning green. Seems to be preparing to start showing its true colors.

Pink/Green Millepora - Bought this browned out as well. Remained a Brown/Pink+Green in my Reefer 170 before completely Browning out again. Now sprouting out branches, getting lighter in color and hopefully going Pink/Green.

Pink Lemonade Acropora Frag - I bought this at the same time as my other Pink Lemonade in above posts. Not sure how I didn't realize I had already bought one..

Mike Paletta's Purple Tip Acropora - My Dad's is doing amazing with the green base instead of my brown, but hopefully it is going in that direction!

Green Slimer Acropora - A complete classic that I absolutely wanted in my tank.

Gobstopper Palythoa - The one coral in my tank that is not an Acropora species. Traded a 40 breeder tank for a few polyps. Little did I know it would explode in growth!

Unread 08/19/2017, 06:37 PM   #48
Bulldog88
Registered Member

Great looking tank! What is your bulb combo?

Bulldog88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 09:39 PM   #49
Kayvon
Registered Member

Tagging along. This setup is very similar to the one I am planning.

Kayvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 08:10 AM   #50
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Hentz, looking great!
Frags looks nice and happy.
Looking forward to seeing a high res vid.