Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/04/2017, 03:29 AM   #1
ssgss gogeta
Registered Member.

Lps dead but still have color

So I did a rescape last weekend. Got a couple of my lps hat were quiet soft to touch are now very hard to touch. But they still have color and haven't fully retracted.

Any advice? It's in a 15g nano which has clam and sps which are perfectly fine. So not sure why the lps would die when the sps hasn't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssgss gogeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2017, 03:41 AM   #2
ssgss gogeta
Registered Member.

I did add a toadstool maybe a few days before the rescape surely it's not just that though

Unread 08/04/2017, 05:31 AM   #3
ssgss gogeta
Registered Member.

Also to add im just not sure ive never seen a coral harden like that but keep its coral and not disintegrate

Unread 08/04/2017, 06:53 AM   #4
karimwassef
Registered Member

Pictures would help

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2017, 07:39 AM   #5
Reef Bass
colors and textures

If the lps have color and flesh, they are not dead. Dead corals have no flesh and are white from exposed skeleton. Many lps swell and retract as part of their normal activity. Retraction is inevitable if you're handling them. They should puff back up eventually.

As karimwassef stated, pictures would help.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2017, 02:00 AM   #6
ssgss gogeta
Registered Member.

Still has some flesh but it's so far back to the skeleton it's not funny. And for the life of me I can't figure out why. Everything in tank is absolutely fine thriving even.

Unread 08/06/2017, 05:54 AM   #7
karimwassef
Registered Member

It's unhappy but not dead. However, in this stressed state, you can easily kill it by doing something rough.

Think of it as being sick and be gentle with it.

How does it look at night? Is it getting too much direct flow? Does it need less light?

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 08/06/2017, 07:35 AM   #8
ssgss gogeta
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
It's unhappy but not dead. However, in this stressed state, you can easily kill it by doing something rough.

Think of it as being sick and be gentle with it.

How does it look at night? Is it getting too much direct flow? Does it need less light?

So it pretty much happened after the re-scape. But the re-scape was to move he rocks off the back wall to get less dead spots. So I literally just moved the rocks forward. And changed the middle and other side ever so slightly. As far as flow and light it should be almost identical to what it had before. It normally deflates at night and as soon as the lights come back on expands. It expanded for the first few days after the re-scape and now hasn't for a week.

Unread 08/06/2017, 07:46 AM   #9
karimwassef
Registered Member

It might have been physically damaged - scratched? but you can't see it.

Have you tried using a localized appetite stimulant to get it to feed?

Water changes can also help freshen things up.

I had a scoly that was being eaten and that made it tighten up like that. Might need to move it again since a worm or crab may have it on its radar in that location

Unread 08/06/2017, 08:46 AM   #10
ssgss gogeta
Registered Member.

Quote:
It might have been physically damaged - scratched? but you can't see it.

Have you tried using a localized appetite stimulant to get it to feed?

Water changes can also help freshen things up.

I had a scoly that was being eaten and that made it tighten up like that. Might need to move it again since a worm or crab may have it on its radar in that location

Localized appetite stimulant?? No idea what that is man. I target feed reef roids twice a week. I'm gonna give it a couple more days where it is and if no improvement I'll try moving it

Unread 08/06/2017, 12:08 PM   #11
karimwassef
Registered Member

That's where you make a juice of the stuff they like and spray it on them. Mine respond to roids, chilli, garlic, fatty oils, etc...

Unread 08/07/2017, 11:50 AM   #12
CrazyCanadian
Registered Member

Help? Is my torch savable or is it doomed 😞 Is it brown jelly?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4596.jpg (46.3 KB, 51 views)

Current Tank Info: 65 Gal Hobby Tank, bicolored blenny, royal gramma, 6line wrasse, 6 blue green chromis, 2 Oc. Clowns, 2 cleaner shrimp, 3 pep shrimp, a ton of hermits & tronchus snails
CrazyCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 12:04 PM   #13
karimwassef
Registered Member

Ouch! The prognosis on that is not good. Tissue falling off.

I would use a gentle flow just enough to keep the boundary layer moving. Watch it and look for any opportunity to feed small easy to digest foods like cyclopese soaked in fatty acids. It has to regroup and make up for all that lost tissue.

Frankly, I'd give it a 1% chance assuming perfect conditions.

Unread 08/07/2017, 12:28 PM   #14
CrazyCanadian
Registered Member

Quote:

I would use a gentle flow just enough to keep the boundary layer moving. Watch it and look for any opportunity to feed small easy to digest foods like cyclopese soaked in fatty acids. It has to regroup and make up for all that lost tissue.

Shoot. Ok thank you. I was considering moving it to the bottom of the tank but I thought it might get the attention of the inverts and stress it out more. I'll try the Cyclepes. Thank you.

Current Tank Info: 65 Gal Hobby Tank, bicolored blenny, royal gramma, 6line wrasse, 6 blue green chromis, 2 Oc. Clowns, 2 cleaner shrimp, 3 pep shrimp, a ton of hermits & tronchus snails
Unread 08/07/2017, 12:45 PM   #15
karimwassef
Registered Member

I would use a very gentle flow to wash away the dead tissue. I can't emphasize enough "gently". A turkey baster would be too strong. If it doesn't come off with a gentle flow, I would just leave it and let the inverts separate dead from living.

In my experience, doing nothing is usually better when it looks that bad. Most actions just lead to an accelerated rate of death. But I've also seen coral rebound from terrible damage on their own!

photo 3E432756-5A5D-4CC9-876C-FF71D88966C3_zpszz3e3umf.jpg

photo 404070C7-6180-4C74-912C-6C56C96D01CB_zpsukdu5tlc.jpg

Unread 08/07/2017, 03:17 PM   #16
CrazyCanadian
Registered Member

Quote:
I would use a very gentle flow to wash away the dead tissue. I can't emphasize enough "gently". A turkey baster would be too strong. If it doesn't come off with a gentle flow, I would just leave it and let the inverts separate dead from living.

In my experience, doing nothing is usually better when it looks that bad. Most actions just lead to an accelerated rate of death. But I've also seen coral rebound from terrible damage on their own!

photo 3E432756-5A5D-4CC9-876C-FF71D88966C3_zpszz3e3umf.jpg

photo 404070C7-6180-4C74-912C-6C56C96D01CB_zpsukdu5tlc.jpg

Wow quite the recovery that guy made! I moved mine to the bottom and gently swept some water across the surface. I don't think it's brown jelly as it just seems like it's turning brown as a result of dying but then again I am by no means experienced in dealing with this. Just going to hope it makes it and if not maybe it's self preserving and Il have some regrow that in a couple months 🤞

Unread 08/07/2017, 03:55 PM   #17
CrazyCanadian
Registered Member

Quote:

In your opinion does it look like bjd? Or is it turning that colour as a result of dying? I just don't want to infect other coral in the tank.

Unread 08/07/2017, 04:12 PM   #18
karimwassef
Registered Member

I really can't tell. Brown jelly is usually more "jelly" like. That looks like dead tissue

Unread 08/07/2017, 04:28 PM   #19
CrazyCanadian
Registered Member

Quote:
I really can't tell. Brown jelly is usually more "jelly" like. That looks like dead tissue
That's what I thought too.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4598.jpg (41.7 KB, 38 views)

Unread 08/17/2017, 06:40 AM   #20
ozmosis7
Registered Member

That looks more like a reaction to tank environment to me. Have you tested your water?

ozmosis7 is offline   Reply With Quote