Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/14/2017, 05:49 PM   #1
meverha1
Registered Member

Green Corkscrew (M. Doreensis?) Wellness Check?

Picked up a Green Corkscrew Anemone (M. Doreensis, I think) two days ago and I'm not sure how healthy it is.

I've tried burying it's foot in the sand a couple of times but each time it has decided to move to different areas of my tank. It's currently wedged between two rocks and doesn't seem to have it's foot buried.

Also, if you look closely at the picture below you can see that it's mouth is somewhat gaping. I did feed it a bit of shrimp yesterday and it accepted the food.

I have three other anemones in my tank - all small bubble tips that seem to be doing fine. The oldest of the three has been with me for 6 months and has doubled in size.

Tank info:

110 Gallon w/ 40 gallon sump
1.026 salinity with weekly 20 gallon water changes
Phosphate - 0 via salifert test kit
Nitrate - 10 via Red Sea test kit.

I dose alk/calk and run biopellets.

As you can see in the picture I'm dealing with a bit of a GHA issue which I'm trying to get under control with wet skimming and weekly water changes.

So, any thoughts on the anemone? Should I be worried about the gaping mouth and the fact that it hasn't decided to attach anyplace yet?

What can I do to help it out?

meverha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 06:46 PM   #2
Lance M.
Registered Member

Give it a week or two to settle in. If the mouth is still gaping after a couple days, it might be an issue.

Very hard to tell from the picture but it appears very bleached.

What kind of sand do you have? small particle (preferred) or coarse/medium grain?

What lighting do you have and how deep is a 110?

Lance M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 07:31 PM   #3
meverha1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance M. View Post
Give it a week or two to settle in. If the mouth is still gaping after a couple days, it might be an issue.

Very hard to tell from the picture but it appears very bleached.

What kind of sand do you have? small particle (preferred) or coarse/medium grain?

What lighting do you have and how deep is a 110?
I don't think it's bleached. It's a light green with dark purple highlights but it's difficult to get a picture of under my lighting.

Mixture of about 75% fine sand with the rest being coarse/medium.

The 110 gallon is pretty tall but I've got 2 Radion Gen 4 Pros so plenty of light. I've set them on their acclimation program (building up from 60 % of my normal intensity over 3 weeks) to help the Anemone get used to the tank.

Unread 08/15/2017, 07:41 PM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

Really helps to see under less blue/more normal light so we can actually see color

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 03:43 PM   #5
meverha1
Registered Member

A bit of an update...

The anemone still won't attach and/or stay buried. It doesn't seem to be moving around much but the foot is still fully exposed.

The anemone also inflates/deflates like a normal, healthy anemone would and no sign of "gape" mouth.

So, any further suggestions to get this thing to bury its foot?

Unread 08/16/2017, 05:37 PM   #6
Lance M.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meverha1 View Post
A bit of an update...

The anemone still won't attach and/or stay buried. It doesn't seem to be moving around much but the foot is still fully exposed.

The anemone also inflates/deflates like a normal, healthy anemone would and no sign of "gape" mouth.

So, any further suggestions to get this thing to bury its foot?
People have had success using pvc pipes for lta's to attach. It may not like the substrate.

I have seen them climb rocks if it is not getting enough light.

Lance M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 07:24 PM   #7
meverha1
Registered Member

It's definitely not climbing.

I may try the PVC trick but right now I made a ring out of a plastic cup to try to keep it upright and in one place. I'll see if maybe that will encourage it to attach.

Unread 08/17/2017, 10:10 AM   #8
olemiss reb
Molon Labe

I'd runs some Rox or Purigen to rule out any potential allelopathy from the BTAs.

Unread 08/17/2017, 10:54 AM   #9
meverha1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olemiss reb View Post
I'd runs some Rox or Purigen to rule out any potential allelopathy from the BTAs.
Already taken care of.