Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/20/2017, 06:46 PM   #401
mike810
Registered Member

Chris,

Thank you for your reply. I actually found some socks that fit the RE sock holders but the material used sucks and the sock only come in a length of 15". They don't take washing very well as they stop absorbing water and almost become water proof. That said, they clog up within a day and they are the 200 micron version. So to hear that your 10 micron socks are not clogging up fast is surprising. I'm kinda holding out hoping RE will come through with some felt socks. I was about to purchase their 400 and 200 micron nylons but didn't pull the trigger just yet.

Every time I pull out the nylon socks, literally everything that was stuck to the sock comes floating off and drifting away. If it actually held everything it caught when swapping them out, I would order more and live with a slightly dirty sump that I would have to clean every once in awhile.

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 09:25 PM   #402
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Hopefully Klaus will be offering the real deal soon. With a 7 sock sump design, he made the best there is for such mechanical filtration. The RE socks just need to be brought up to that same level to match an otherwise awesome design.

Unread 09/20/2017, 09:57 PM   #403
mike810
Registered Member

I have 13 socks. I would love me some felt for the second and third stage.

Unread 12/02/2017, 08:40 AM   #404
Klaus Jansen
RC Sponsor

New special Dreambox Completesystem for Closed Loop Systems .....

https://royalexclusiv.net/en/dreambo...le-set-3d.html

best regards.. Klaus

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1391_0.jpg (42.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 1391_2.jpg (39.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 1391_4.jpg (53.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 1391_8.jpg (48.3 KB, 69 views)
Klaus Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 05:38 PM   #405
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Hi Scott
What is the main difference between ECO fleece and regular?
I see Eco comes completely closed but i am sure its more to that.
Thanks
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy crystal glass, Profilux network system,PS -Diuna T5-10 bulbs, BK SM-300
MSHUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 05:40 PM   #406
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

The Eco fleece boxes are tailored towards smaller installs, where space is at a premium or limited. “Smaller” tanks - maybe someone in the 75-200gal range that uses an off the shelf stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 06:11 PM   #407
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Hi Marco
For 300g tank I should look into regular ? Is there a video how this system works? just trying to figure out if this is more beneficial vs socks .saves time on washing socks and etc

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy crystal glass, Profilux network system,PS -Diuna T5-10 bulbs, BK SM-300

Last edited by MSHUR; 02/10/2018 at 06:19 PM.
Unread 02/10/2018, 07:10 PM   #408
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

I’m not sure if we have a video anywhere, I’ll check later or tomorrow.

Essentially the water enters the first chamber, which has a capacitive water level sensor EXTERNALLY, on a 2 stage timer.
First state is wait time, how long to wait after Sensor trips, second state is how long to roll for. This helps with nutrient control.

More efficient that socks, less frequent maintenance, ability to run smaller Skimmer and less media due to the efficiency of the overall system.

For a 300gal, I’d go with the regular sized fleece Dreambox 3.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unread 02/10/2018, 07:50 PM   #409
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHUR View Post
Hi Marco
For 300g tank I should look into regular ? Is there a video how this system works? just trying to figure out if this is more beneficial vs socks .saves time on washing socks and etc
As Marco said, the Eco Fleece Dreamboxes are tailored towards smaller builds and don’t have as many For a larger build like your new build, I would go with the standard Dreambox vs an Eco.

That said, the fleece ones are certainly an option. Royal Exclusiv doesn’t have any videos of them online showing their operation. Just same basic videos on the Royal Exclsusiv channel showing programming of the fleece control interface and the changing of media.
For reference, here is the channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/RoyalEx...able_polymer=1

That said, some food for throught. The fleece removes solids just like socks do. What makes the fleece setup unique in the Dreambox is that the Dreambox 3 uses a capacitive level sensor that senses a level change in the fleece filter compartment. The idea being that as soon as the filter meterial starts collecting enough solids to impact the water level in that chamber, the dirty material will be pulled away and rolled into a sealed removable enclosure. With socks, stuff tends to break down long before we swap socks. The fleece setup allows the user to program via the timer how long to wait after a level change is detect and how long to run the roller to set how much material to roll out.

To elaborate a bit on what Marco was detailing..
Pros of DB 3:
No sock changes
No solids breaking down in the water
Improved nutrient export
Reduced load on skimmer
Improved water clarity
Great for lazy reefers

Cons of DB 3
Fleece is a consumable/Cost
Reduced flow through sump since the fleece can handle a max of around 1200-1600 GPH for best efficiency.

Pros of DB2
Socks rarely wear out thus minimal cost to maintain
Increased flow through the display
Very good removal of solids (if changed frequently)
Good nutrient export (if changed frequently)

Cons of DB2
Socks must be changed frequently enough to insure that solids don’t become dissolved organics and contribute to increased nutrients.

Bottom line is that for a large system, it’s kind of a catch 22. DB3’s are a bit more expensive but the fleece insures the best water quality without human intervention other than changing out the rolls. If flow from the return pump is a big concern, then that should be considered with the DB3 because of the fact that the fleece requires slower flow for best performance, in order to maximize the fleece surface area there are limits to the drain intake sizes on the DB 3’s that aren’t present on the DB2’s. The DB3’s can have a max of two 1.5” intakes and one 1” to retain the LED option. Two 2” intakes requires omitting the LED option and too much flow will create turbulence in fleece section that will adversely impact the sensor and may cause the fleece to be exported prematurely and will also allow some solids to pass through the material. Thus, if you are looking for high flow through your sump, then. The DB2 may be a better choice.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 02/10/2018 at 07:56 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 09:34 AM   #410
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Thank you guys for great overview !
Definitely a room for thought .I am pretty sure i push more then 1000gph through my sump .
My main reason on switching sumps is fleece system that kinda nice instead of dealing with socks .
But DB3 looks so nice )

Unread 02/11/2018, 09:39 AM   #411
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thank you guys for great overview !
Definitely a room for thought .I am pretty sure i push more then 1000gph through my sump .
My main reason on switching sumps is fleece system that kinda nice instead of dealing with socks .
But DB3 looks so nice )

The fleece definiately makes maintenance easy and removes a lot of the organics before they every get a chance to break down unlike socks. That is a MAJOR upside to the DB 3’s.. And of course looks as you noted!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 02/11/2018, 09:48 AM   #412
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Any one in US have DB3 so i can ask few questions ?

Unread 02/11/2018, 10:34 AM   #413
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Any one in US have DB3 so i can ask few questions ?

We have a bunch of DB3 owners in the US but I’m not sure if any are on the forum.

Unread 02/11/2018, 10:42 AM   #414
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Got you ...
Let me reach out to Felix from Reef Savvy since he made my tank with “Ghost” overflow box
He would know how many gph this Ghost is handling .
It might be a braking point in my decision .

Unread 02/15/2018, 02:25 AM   #415
mike810
Registered Member

Hi fellas,

I just had a light bulb moment and thought I would share the idea with you. I haven't implemented it yet but plan to next week when I am back from traveling. I have been running sock less for several months now due to my laziness to clean socks. Needless to say, my sump is filthy and overdue for a deep cleaning. So how do I prevent detritus build up again once clean?

I took a clear solo cup and put it into the filter holder. It fits perfectly, nice and flush! I plan to drill several holes on the bottom of the cup and place filter floss in the cups. I have an 8D box with 13 sock holders but I only plan to use the first row. I'll see how long the filter floss last before it needs to be changed. I'll update with some pics once in place. I hope this solves my filter sock problem!!

Unread 02/15/2018, 08:28 AM   #416
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

hey @mike810:
*cough* this would be kind of cool :P

Unread 02/15/2018, 11:56 AM   #417
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike810 View Post
Hi fellas,

I just had a light bulb moment and thought I would share the idea with you. I haven't implemented it yet but plan to next week when I am back from traveling. I have been running sock less for several months now due to my laziness to clean socks. Needless to say, my sump is filthy and overdue for a deep cleaning. So how do I prevent detritus build up again once clean?

I took a clear solo cup and put it into the filter holder. It fits perfectly, nice and flush! I plan to drill several holes on the bottom of the cup and place filter floss in the cups. I have an 8D box with 13 sock holders but I only plan to use the first row. I'll see how long the filter floss last before it needs to be changed. I'll update with some pics once in place. I hope this solves my filter sock problem!!

Let us know how it works out. This was the first thing that came to mind though.

https://youtu.be/0CLacRKKhG8

Unread 02/15/2018, 01:47 PM   #418
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefClownMIA View Post
hey @mike810:
*cough* this would be kind of cool :P

Hey Marco,

The new dream boxes look sweet and I am sure it will make maintainance a breeze. I however, have a lot of GPH going thru my drains. The bigger issue, I also rather not shell out the dough for a new dream box!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Let us know how it works out. This was the first thing that came to mind though.

https://youtu.be/0CLacRKKhG8
Scott,

That made me LOL.

Unread 02/16/2018, 06:24 AM   #419
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Mike -
I can't blame you, plus your setup is beautiful as it is!
In case you're looking for something more permanent than the solo cups - check out the RedSea reefer guys, due to the odd size socks(hmmnn... sounds familiar) some of them have gone to a cup insert with floss as well. There are a couple of smaller vendors making those inserts, and may be able to adapt them to the Dreambox size.

-M

Unread 02/19/2018, 02:29 PM   #420
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefClownMIA View Post
Mike -
I can't blame you, plus your setup is beautiful as it is!
In case you're looking for something more permanent than the solo cups - check out the RedSea reefer guys, due to the odd size socks(hmmnn... sounds familiar) some of them have gone to a cup insert with floss as well. There are a couple of smaller vendors making those inserts, and may be able to adapt them to the Dreambox size.

-M
Thanks Marco!

Update

The solo cups fit perfectly in the dream box, I drilled out the bottom of the cup and left a 1/4" lip to hold a screen. Stuffed filter floss in and it works. However, due to my setup having such a high GPH going through the sump, the solo cups couldn't handle the flow with the filter floss packed in. I tried putting a minimal amount of filter floss in the cup but it still couldn't handle the flow.

I expect this to work perfectly for anyone running a much slower flow rate than I am. I have 2500 + GPH going through my sump. I have gone back to the felt socks. If RE ever comes out with the felt socks, I'll shell out the money for those.

Unread 03/17/2018, 12:30 PM   #421
Maticed
Registered Member

Question;

if water starts pouring out the hole where the airline is going in the tube does that mean the water level is to high in the skimmer and I should open the pipe a bit more?

Maticed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 01:30 PM   #422
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticed View Post
Question;

if water starts pouring out the hole where the airline is going in the tube does that mean the water level is to high in the skimmer and I should open the pipe a bit more?
Please define water pouring out the hole. You should have the ozone port plugged off if you aren’t using ozone. If you have the red hose connected and drawing air, that can impact the amount of air flow going into the venturi port with the air intake hose which could result in some water percolating up into the venturi port. If I am understanding you correctly, that could mean that there is something in the pump like a snail or debris. Could also mean the venturi port is clogged. If your sump level is 9” or less, the depth shouldn’t be an issue. Heck, some have run deeper. My guess is that there is something inside the pump. Shut it down and take the pump apart and inspect the needle wheel.

Unread 03/17/2018, 01:39 PM   #423
Maticed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Please define water pouring out the hole. You should have the ozone port plugged off if you aren’t using ozone. If you have the red hose connected and drawing air, that can impact the amount of air flow going into the venturi port with the air intake hose which could result in some water percolating up into the venturi port. If I am understanding you correctly, that could mean that there is something in the pump like a snail or debris. Could also mean the venturi port is clogged. If your sump level is 9” or less, the depth shouldn’t be an issue. Heck, some have run deeper. My guess is that there is something inside the pump. Shut it down and take the pump apart and inspect the needle wheel.

no I mean water is coming out of the hole in the red pipe that goes to the air silencer (where the red air hose from the pump is going in). I have a red sea reefer 450 and the water level is too high so I bought a skimmer stand. My double cone 180 with speedy pump now sits in 20 cm of water but I have to adjust the pump to 34-36 watts to get the bubbles to the neck of the skimmer.

Unread 03/17/2018, 02:34 PM   #424
Maticed
Registered Member

So sorry, wrong tread, could an admin delete my posts?

Unread 03/17/2018, 03:01 PM   #425
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticed View Post
no I mean water is coming out of the hole in the red pipe that goes to the air silencer (where the red air hose from the pump is going in). I have a red sea reefer 450 and the water level is too high so I bought a skimmer stand. My double cone 180 with speedy pump now sits in 20 cm of water but I have to adjust the pump to 34-36 watts to get the bubbles to the neck of the skimmer.
I think you need to take the pump apart and inspect the impeller. Also make sure there are no blockages in the venturi intake at the pump. Cap off the ozone port as well. And also make sure you rinse and dry out the foam filter in the silencer. To get the bubbles up, you need to close the wedge pipe more. That is how you adjust the level inside the skimmer. Not with the pump speed. The pump speed is used to get the most dense foam. I’d suggest 18-22 watts as a starting point. You may however need to increase the sump depth a bit. I’d suggest 8.5”-9” of depth.

Last edited by slief; 03/17/2018 at 03:07 PM.